Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: Note on some utilities  (Read 53725 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Note on some utilities
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2010, 07:38:44 am »

Hi!

DW - I love this IF, ever play it? http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=4glrrfh7wrp9zz7b

Nope. I have more stuck to classic things like Theatre (my all time favorite :) :) :) ).

Where you planning on writing something totally from scratch or using one of the available languages, like Inform?

Inform 6.31, definitely. That's the engine that I feel most comfortable with (beats TADS 3 only by a small margin, but still). This way, giving out the source or in other ways getting more people aboard becomes a real option.

But as I said, at the moment, these are just things in my head.

Deathworks

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2010, 08:44:28 am »

As far as the UI goes, to me the only problem is with the textual elements. I love the ACSII graphics! That part tells me everything I need to know, in a way that has a very appealing and unique atmosphere. It makes it seem even deeper than it actually is. Stonsense and other visualizers are fun too, but I wouldn't want to play the game that way.

Things fall short when you have to display text in a window that is 28 characters wide! The room that the text takes up greatly limits what's possible with the UI. We're back in the days of DOS with this issue. For example, the database at my workplace has a field for a customer address street name. It's called 'ADBCD' lol. That's because back in the day, you didn't have room for descriptive names for stuff. It was an 'eggheads only' club.

My ideal DF would use the existing character set graphics in a game window panel, with something totally different for everything else. Something with a modern readable font. It could be stylized as long as it's readable.

As a quick fix, I think it would be fairly easy to make a mouseover tooltip system that uses a real font. I'm sure that would have helped me a great deal while I was learning.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2010, 09:16:34 am »

[...]
Rainforce: Well, I have a lousy track record with lots of unfinished projects. I do have a few ideas for a few famous incidents/bugs to be implemented, so I might at least put together a little something that is good for a few laughs (of course, I am violating the advice of the DM4 by making a piece of interactive fiction based on insider jokes, but that is really the point to it :) :) ).

But no promises there, and I don't think I will really bug Toady One about his opinion on this before there is really at least something to show. (I am also pondering making the source code of the interactive fiction available so that people can expand it/improve it as they see fit).

But it's currently just my sand castle in the sky.

Deathworks

well, everyone should know most of the insider jokes already, and even those who don't will do some research and enjoy the newfound knowledge :D .
you can also inspire (the non-Impaler way) yourself a bit on the board game discussion, much potential there.
and/or make a topic here for critic on the main control and mechanic of your game.
Even with less replay value and stuff it's an abridged version of all the things that happened in the community so far.
make some FUN out of it >___>
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---
This is why I don't go outside.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2010, 10:05:44 am »

Impaler's 28, untill the thirteenth.

just saying.

I feared that it would be something like that............if you look at it from a certain point of view, <13 would make it a lot more acceptable...
Agreed. I'm only 25, but I'm a professional game-dev of several years experience, but even I wouldn't try to make my own DF. To do what toady has done on his own, let alone thinking he could actually overtake toady in development and make a better DF...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2010, 12:15:37 pm »

just saying.

I feared that it would be something like that............if you look at it from a certain point of view, <13 would make it a lot more acceptable...
Agreed. I'm only 25, but I'm a professional game-dev of several years experience, but even I wouldn't try to make my own DF. To do what toady has done on his own, let alone thinking he could actually overtake toady in development and make a better DF...

Trying is one thing, claiming/boasting that you can do it better then someone is another.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2010, 02:30:55 pm »

just saying.

Yeah, I don't think Toady has anything to worry about from a single developer or even a small team that works part time.  He has too much of a lead.  Nor need he worry about a large developer, since they would never make something like DF.

But we've seen what a small team of paid professionals can do in Torchlight.

So it's conceivable such a team could use DF as inspiration and make something only slightly more mainstream but far more polished (and it's possible it's happening as I type).  However, it's unclear if this would harm Toady since he seems happy to continue development if he gets enough donations to "make it," which only requires a small, but dedicated community.

Still, I think it would be in Toady's best interest to create some APIs to mitigate this risk.

As an aside, I'm wondering if this means Toady has softened toward utilities.  His comments back in 08 (IIRC) led me to believe he didn't fancy things like Stone Sense or Dwarf Therapist (or Khazad) and I wondered what was going to eventually happen.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2010, 03:32:23 pm »

As far as the UI goes, to me the only problem is with the textual elements. I love the ACSII graphics! That part tells me everything I need to know, in a way that has a very appealing and unique atmosphere. It makes it seem even deeper than it actually is. Stonsense and other visualizers are fun too, but I wouldn't want to play the game that way.

Things fall short when you have to display text in a window that is 28 characters wide! The room that the text takes up greatly limits what's possible with the UI. We're back in the days of DOS with this issue. For example, the database at my workplace has a field for a customer address street name. It's called 'ADBCD' lol. That's because back in the day, you didn't have room for descriptive names for stuff. It was an 'eggheads only' club.

Yeah, I actually prefer the ASCII graphics over any graphics set I've tried to date, simply because it's more reliably accurate/informative. The problem is the menus, submenus, etc.; there's a reason dwarf therapist exists, and it's probably only a short while before a similar tool gets developed as a substitute interface for the new military.  All the utilities I use are basically UI improvements (even things like Quickfort).

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2010, 03:42:59 pm »

The problem with hard-coding behaviour, and what Impaler may be missing judging from what's been said earlier, is that while you may be able to make a more efficient game by simplifying the calculations, you're going to lose a lot of the character. The procedural story-telling aspect.

Yeah, and I wasn't advocating any of the stuff I mentioned, I'm just saying that appealing to a lower common denominator can be a very powerful strategy, and is something that we should be concerned about.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2010, 04:08:41 pm »

Still, I think it would be in Toady's best interest to create some APIs to mitigate this risk.

As an aside, I'm wondering if this means Toady has softened toward utilities.  His comments back in 08 (IIRC) led me to believe he didn't fancy things like Stone Sense or Dwarf Therapist (or Khazad) and I wondered what was going to eventually happen.
The difficult issue with API is that in DF, APIs has a high chance of changing.  Even if you don't offer guarantees with the stability of the API, people may/will still become attached to it.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2010, 04:22:26 pm »

The difficult issue with API is that in DF, APIs has a high chance of changing.  Even if you don't offer guarantees with the stability of the API, people may/will still become attached to it.

First, it's possible to create an API (for DF) where most of it has a very low chance of changing and if it does change it's probably because it's no long applicable, so there's no reason to be attached to it.

Second, people are already attached to Dwarf Therapist et al, and an API would make them far less brittle.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2010, 04:57:04 pm »

First, it's possible to create an API (for DF) where most of it has a very low chance of changing and if it does change it's probably because it's no long applicable, so there's no reason to be attached to it.

Second, people are already attached to Dwarf Therapist et al, and an API would make them far less brittle.

Anyway, yes, this has been suggested before and Toady has made a couple direct responses.  Any supporters of the idea should definitely read these:

Spoiler: response (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: followup (click to show/hide)

Also some earlier stuff:

Spoiler: part 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: part 2 (click to show/hide)

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2010, 05:37:12 pm »

Thanks for the summary,
I imagine that this event has probably reaffirmed Toadys preference for working alone. As someone who really struggles with the interface of DF, I am encouraged to read Toadys consideration on the options. The thought that if we pay Toady, he will never fix the GUI is amazing, and makes me wonder what idiot sticks resourcing plan (don't bother telling me to be polite) for his grand endeavor is? I read a thread about Kazza a while back and laughed and gave it no more thought.

For me, I love indy games that reflect the vision of the dev.  I have paid Toady a little money, it is well spent for the enjoyment I have had(who remembers the frustrations?) I suspect I will send more when the worth balance scale tips again. Having been a developer my self, part of the allure of the game is the process. If Toady could do this, could I? kind of thing.

What is that fools vision? A notion conceived in arrogance is unlikely to evolve to grace. He may make something, but I doubt it.
This has been an interesting thread.
Pongo

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2010, 08:09:12 pm »

Yeah, thanks for the summary of Toady's thoughts on this, it's an interesting read.

I don't think I agree that creating an interface API will open a pandora's box. I think it would be not terribly difficult to expose an API while just keeping the interface you normally have, and then forget about the API outside of major bug fixes. You deal with the possible dependancies, headaches and pressure by simply ignoring it. I've seen other games do this and then the community just does what it does with what they are given, and the game company doesn't even get involved for the most part. It's unmet expectations that create unrest, if you set the bar kinda lowish nobody will complain. If you say you're going to maintain the API above all else you'll have the world on your shoulders.

UI stuff is grunt work. It's a bad use of Toady's time I think. Would he not be happier to just focus mainly on the game mechanics? Learning how to expose an API might seem somewhat daunting however, given the vastness of what DF still hopes to accomplish. It's an investment, but I think the risk is low, and has a good chance of ultimately increasing Toady's satisfaction.

DF is really a popular game now. I just wrote a utility that had 150 downloads on the first day! I wonder if Toady really wants that kind of success, because from now on their will be more and more people leaning on him with requests. You have to learn to switch it off and not hold yourself responsible for the needs of the world.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2010, 10:16:00 pm »

I think you missed the spirit Toady issue with a UI API.

Yes, he could ignore, Toady is stating that he couldn't. He says he would feel compelled to do something about, and the effort and commit he would have to do, if he did agree to some sort of third part UI API.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2010, 11:21:13 pm »

One problem with third-party user interfaces is that damn near everyone would wind up using them. Even if a decent API is used, things would break between versions, leading to (sometimes large) gaps in time between a new version of DF being released and the third-party UIs catching up.

This is very annoying for the community, at least.

Consider the current situation with tilesets, Dwarf Therapist, Reveal, and so on. For a surprisingly long time after the release of 0.31.01, people were flooding the IRC channel fairly regularly with questions about whether or not this-or-that tileset still worked, if there was a Mayday pack out yet, if Dwarf Therapist worked for it yet, and claiming that they wouldn't even play the game until there was.

In other words, there's some inherent instability in having people rely on third-party software that needs to be updated regularly. It winds up being frustrating for the players, and frustrating for the community in general.

To that end, I think the best solution is for the game itself to have a decent user interface at some point. I agree that the new military controls are the straw lead weight breaking the camel's back at the moment. I don't think a perfectly sustainable long-term solution is necessarily the best or most urgent thing to do right now, but things need to be workable and remain that way.

There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23