Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Avoiding parties!  (Read 2995 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Avoiding parties!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 08:34:08 am »

Even if you keep every single dwarf busy, you will get parties - after all, nobles and children never have anything important to do.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 08:42:18 am »

1.) Build Lever
2.) Building Profile, set to only allow a child use it
3.) Pull order on repeat
4.) ??????
5.) Profit
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 10:11:45 am »

1.) Build Lever
2.) Building Profile, set to only allow a child use it
3.) Pull order on repeat
4.) ??????
5.) Profit

Tell me, have you actually tested that? In all previous versions (both 0.28.181.40d and 0.23.130.23a), children do not pull levers, even when assigned via workshop profile, and I have no reason to expect that this would have changed in 0.31.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 10:22:58 am »

Even if you keep every single dwarf busy, you will get parties - after all, nobles and children never have anything important to do.

Not if you stick to zone-based meeting areas you won't. You can put them in a room with statues and caged/chained animals, and the dwarves will get all the benefits of the surrounding architecture(and keep idle dwarves out of the way of ones doing actual work), but without parties sucking them in. In that, the OP is correct - it is(sorry) not a new development, but it is entirely accurate.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 10:54:12 am »

Not if you stick to zone-based meeting areas you won't.

I was responding to SquirrelWizard's comment that parties (aside from wedding receptions) could be avoided simply by keeping every dwarf busy at all times, which is untrue due to children and nobles. The tactic of using activity zones instead of meeting halls works best because they no longer have any place at all to hold their parties.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 04:14:48 pm »

The best way to deal with annoying children is to imprison them till they grow up.

Dig a little room with a lockable door and build one constructed floor in the room. Order it removed. Once a child is inside (children do remove constructions, and will often do so in favor of adults, especially when the fort is busy) just lock the door. If you want him to survive, you should have a full booze and food stockpile in the room. Since children won't stockpile anything, you can't just dump food in the room as the leftovers will quickly rot. Stock the kid-prison before placing a kid inside!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 04:17:12 pm »

I've been doing this for years. It ranks right up there with "the sky is blue" in OBVIOUS.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 04:24:04 pm »

A baby dwarf just means you'll have another spearcatcher in 12 years.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 10:00:38 pm »

I let my dwarves party because I'm not a sadistic bastard

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 10:04:01 pm »

I let my dwarves party because I'm not a sadistic bastard

Are you sure you're playing the correct game, good sir?

Wulfe
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 10:07:59 pm »

I turn off pregnancies in the .int file since I don't like kids and I play with smaller populations and I need everyone to be at least somewhat productive. I also don't get any nobles because I don't allow my population to go above 80.

I also never designate a meeting area from a statue or anything.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 10:08:55 pm »

Im nice to my dwarves, they're my babies.

I give them all fine rooms (well when I'm bored) with plenty of furnishings, I give them zoo's and sculpture gardens and massive dining rooms, I always smooth and engrave living quarters first (if theres no priority) etc.

BUT don't get me wrong, I have enough mental instability to be prone to random acts of violence and, of course, killing my captured prisoners in as many interesting ways as possible.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 12:52:38 am »

Half the community knows this before 40d

check posts and lurk around a bit before posting

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 12:53:37 am »

Half the community knows this before 40d

check posts and lurk around a bit before posting

The other half obviously doesn't then. So be helpful or shut up.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 09:39:50 am »

The best way to deal with annoying children is to imprison them till they grow up.

Just like the bumble bees -- wall em in with some food and don't come out till your 12 and have a job! ~ George Carlin, paraphrased
Pages: 1 [2] 3