Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Robo Spelunker  (Read 1069 times)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Robo Spelunker
« on: May 30, 2010, 02:26:56 pm »

Recently, I thought about an idea involving taming Crundles (possibly changing their PET_EXOTIC tag to just PET for my very first mod, so I wouldn't need a DM) and using them to explore caves, though everything I know about pets suggests they'd just gather in meeting places and idle. I'd rather not micromanage leading them around by declaring and then removing meeting activity zones.

Then, while browsing the mechanics section of the DF Wiki, a new idea hit me: Is it possible to mod a workshop so that you can make a creature at a workshop? If so, I think it'd be neat to build a sort of robot explorer.

Raw materials:
2 mechanisms
1 cut gem (for an eye, magic power source, whatever)
1 wood log/metal bar

For the creature shape and description, I was thinking a sort of four-legged spider, like a miniature version of that walking eye from Johnny Quest.

Tags that come to mind:
No Eat/No Sleep/No Drink/No Breathe and other tags that would signify it as a non-living creature.
Flee Quick: It avoids combat and has no attacks.
Meander: Random movement is probably best if you can't control it.
Castes: Could different versions exist, like a fire immune one if you made it out of fire safe materials?

I do see a lot of difficulties, though: If it's not a pet, how can it reveal previously hidden areas? You also run the risk that it could cause mass interruptions if it's treated like a non-tame animal, at least before you cage it and release it in the caverns. And, most importantly, if you can't make creatures at a custom workshop, this whole discussion is moot.

So, any thoughts?
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Robo Spelunker
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 02:52:21 pm »

All moot, you cant make creatures from reactions.

The creature itself is all possible though. You could even give it hydrolic fluids as blood and a pump as a heart.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 02:58:33 pm »

To keep it somewhat in flavor with the game you could make it a small exploration golem with various runes and ichor instead of vital organs?

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 03:28:10 pm »

All moot, you cant make creatures from reactions.

The creature itself is all possible though. You could even give it hydrolic fluids as blood and a pump as a heart.

Curses. Oh well. Could have fun thinking up details for the creature itself, still. Maybe have it spawn in caverns, like someone else made one and had it wander off, eventually reaching my place.

Could choose to have it drop raw materials for its corpse.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 07:35:04 am »

you could mod them in and then embark with 5 or so of them, keep them in a cage until needed?
will the Meander tag work if they can find no path to anywhere?  Ive dumped heaps of kittens down into my caverns and they just sit in the one spot until a GCS comes and pulls their heads off
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 08:33:38 am »

I would definably love to see this!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:31:14 am »

you could mod them in and then embark with 5 or so of them, keep them in a cage until needed?
will the Meander tag work if they can find no path to anywhere?  Ive dumped heaps of kittens down into my caverns and they just sit in the one spot until a GCS comes and pulls their heads off

Just have to keep moving the meeting zones, I suppose. You can gain a surprising amount of control over your dwarves and animals in this version, with the burrows.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:57:15 pm »

I'm not entirely sure how castes and reproduction interact, but what if you made a "replicator" caste you could embark with, which would then create the needed explorers?