Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "No mud left for underground farm"  (Read 2552 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"No mud left for underground farm"
« on: May 30, 2010, 07:49:16 am »

I've flooded an area and built a 3x3 plot underground, then carved away the ceiling so that it gets sunlight, so I can plant some Sun Berries. But I get the message "No mud left for underground farm. Mud is left by water." Then I roofed over the opening so that all the squares read "Inside, Light" and still no love. Pressing 'looK' on each square says they are all "Muddy Siltstone" with varying clumps of mud and water on them.

I've tried disassembling the plot, and then re-assigning the plot, but when placing it still gives the "No mud" warning.

Anyone have any luck with indoor sunlit farming?

mkavanagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "No mud left for underground farm"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:09:51 am »

Doing it at the moment, although I'm doing it in soil - maybe building on irrigated plots only works below ground. If you can, build the farm despite the message and it should work.

Edit: reread your post and you did build the farm and it still gave the message, or didn't let you plant? I guess it's what I said above, then. But if the message is only when you place the farm, it should still let you plant seeds.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:11:55 am by mkavanagh »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:29:42 am »

It let me build the farm plot even though it said 'no mud', but when the farm plot was complete it gave the 'No seeds for this site' message. The z stocks->seeds menu says I have 27 sun berry seeds.

Something just occurred to me that might be a complication: I had a farm plot on this land that was not sunlight, and I was getting mushrooms off it. When I dug the ceiling out, the plot stopped producing -- all the harvest crop rows disappeared from the plot. This was when I first got the message that I didn't have seeds for the plot. So I undid the plot, and re-did a new plot in the same spot, ignoring the warning about mud. So I'm wondering if the darn thing got locked on the previous land use.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:18:27 am »

Some facts you may find helpful;

• Underground farms can only have seeds planted on a plot that is entirely muddied, even though you can build on soil tiles.
  • As soon as you expose a tile to sunlight (even if blocked by an artificial roof) the plot is now considered outside.
  • Outside farms do not need mud at all, as long as you can build the farm. NOTE: You will still get the message, just ignore it if farm is outside.
  • Sunberries are very picky about what biome you can plant them in. If your map has multiple biomes, try building farms elsewhere. From memory it's good wilds that grows them.

From your description, it sounds like the lack of berries is due to a biome problem, and the mud issue is only coincidental. Be warned, some maps simply cannot grow sunberries.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:26:12 am »

they are all "Muddy Siltstone" with varying clumps of mud and water on them.

How much water? It's been my experience that you can't build or use a plot that has level two or more water on it, anywhere in the plot.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:38:06 am »

I've built and farmed  on plots that were only half muddied, so no to the "entirely muddied" rule.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:58:43 am »

Was it underground farming? Because I've lost several dwarves to that behaviour, and studied it quite closely the first few times it happened. This was in .01 and .02, and I've heard stories of (though not personally recreated) in .03.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 11:14:45 am »

Was it underground farming? Because I've lost several dwarves to that behaviour, and studied it quite closely the first few times it happened. This was in .01 and .02, and I've heard stories of (though not personally recreated) in .03.
Yes, underground. Version 0.31.03.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 05:47:13 pm »

Just tried a new embark on a new world, and got a good result. It still said "No mud" but I ignored it and plotted anyway, and this time it gave me an option to plant wild strawberries or longland grass. Haven't got sunberries (yet?)

So maybe it was the embark zone didn't allow sunberries.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 10:25:39 pm »

In 40d, the game wouldn't let you plant seeds if you had just purchased them from a caravan - you had to buy the plants themselves and process them, or at least buy something else made from the plant (rope reed cloth, whip vine flour, sunshine, etc.) before the game would let you plant the seeds you already had. I wouldn't be surprised if 0.31 was the same way.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 10:29:17 pm »

In 40d, the game wouldn't let you plant seeds if you had just purchased them from a caravan - you had to buy the plants themselves and process them, or at least buy something else made from the plant (rope reed cloth, whip vine flour, sunshine, etc.) before the game would let you plant the seeds you already had. I wouldn't be surprised if 0.31 was the same way.

Sounds like something easily fixed by forbidding or dumping the seeds in question!
Or, rebuilding the farm plot.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 01:29:27 pm »

I was receiving that "no mud" warning for placing my surface farm plots, but it still allowed me to place them (dry sandy desert) and they worked properly, growing all types of plants. It rains a lot but I don't believe rainfall affects farming except insofar as that muddy ponds "generate" water whilst it rains.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.