Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The goblins have sunk to a new low.  (Read 2474 times)

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The goblins have sunk to a new low.
« on: May 29, 2010, 10:50:32 pm »

Goblins. The weak, spineless species, ambushing dwarves, seizing their riches, stealing babies, being led about by foul and depraved demons. They cause pain for no reason other than to cause pain. How could they sink lower, you ask?

They ambushed my fort. The leader of their squad, painted all green, showing skill in the art of ranged combat.

It was an a ELF.

Goblins, I thought you were better than this. I mean, c'mon, at least you have metal gear, why the hell is an elf bossing you around?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: The goblins have sunk to a new low.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:53:16 pm »

There's precedent for this kind of thing.

If an elf can rule the dwarves, it should be possible for gobbos. Check if their elf leader's wife was killed and eaten by elves at some point.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 10:54:25 pm »

There's precedent for this kind of thing.

If an elf can rule the dwarves, it should be possible for gobbos. Check if their elf leader's wife was killed and eaten by elves at some point.

This elf was no Cacame. Bastard was using wooden weapons, cloth armor, and had all four of his limbs severed and his eyes stabbed out before bleeding out. His only kill was a half dead cat that had permanent spine injuries from a fight with a rutherer.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:55:41 pm »

... What the hell, goblins. What the hell. Have they been seasoning their food with WEAKSAUCE?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:57:03 pm »

... What the hell, goblins. What the hell. Have they been seasoning their food with WEAKSAUCE?

You gotta admit, LIVING to be quartered by a legendary axedwarf weilding a masterwork iron axe (adamantine is currently in production) and a LEGENDARY IRON LOW BOOT (which also let me make full masterwork armor for all thirty of my military dwarves... my armorer is hardcore) is actually a pretty impressive achievement. Most would die after two missing limbs.

EDIT: Problem is, I can't seem to access legends mode on the new type. I can continue my game, or make a new world, but I can't access the legends or adventure mode. :(

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 11:03:01 pm »

You gotta admit, LIVING to be quartered by a legendary axedwarf weilding a masterwork iron axe (adamantine is currently in production) and a LEGENDARY IRON LOW BOOT (which also let me make full masterwork armor for all thirty of my military dwarves... my armorer is hardcore) is actually a pretty impressive achievement. Most would die after two missing limbs.
Nah, it just means that the dwarf was so awesome he managed to sever four limbs before the elf bled out.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 11:13:25 pm »

Another ambush, this time led by a pansy ass elf macewoman with a silver mace. She did manage to put a huge dent into my only fisherdwarf, but then ran through two stone fall traps and is going to be eviscerated in a few frames.

The good news is, the other gobbos killed all the elves, so I'm pretty sure I'll have elf wars soon. Provided my citizens don't get in the way, my dwarves will have some fun (and not the "losing" fun, I mean the "elf limbs, yay!" fun.)

EDIT: A broken to bits merchant elf from the ambush (two elves died, three are sitting at the depot, numerous elven brought animals died, and one is barely alive) has crawled into my fortress and apparently wants water from the well. I want my axedwarf, two inches from him, to slice him in twain, but I can't do that.

In other news, the gobbos wounded one of my military guys, but he's neither unconcious nor moving, so he may die form exposure. Another one of my dwarfs got a smashed skull, but luckily it didn't require surgery so he should be fine.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:31:23 pm by Milskidasith »

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 01:18:01 am »

EDIT: Problem is, I can't seem to access legends mode on the new type. I can continue my game, or make a new world, but I can't access the legends or adventure mode. :(
Make a copy of the region subdirectory in your DF folder and abandon the fort in the copy. That'll allow you to check out legends :)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 03:08:06 am »

Silly goblin!  Elves are for pits!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 12:00:00 pm »

The hilarious thing is that you can adjust the raws so your dwarves will happily butcher slain sentients.

Elf tallow biscuits for everyone!  :D

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 12:17:52 pm »

Those elves were like the opposite of Cacame. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 12:34:04 pm »

You might notice that in the latest versions, almost all goblin historical figures die out and are replaced by the descendants of kidnap victims. The only goblins you will really see in fortress mode are the randomly generated ones.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 12:52:20 pm »

You might notice that in the latest versions, almost all goblin historical figures die out and are replaced by the descendants of kidnap victims. The only goblins you will really see in fortress mode are the randomly generated ones.

I think it's because all the kidnapped children override the goblin civilization's population cap. The way the game works makes it so that whenever a space gets filled up it can either be filled by a goblin child, a kidnapee, or the child of a prisoner. The chance of goblins filling in the population holes decreases each time because prisoners don't go to war and goblins die in battle. The only goblin run forts I've seen in a while were located in the middle of nowhere with kobolds, which the gobbos presumably don't find cute enough to kidnap.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 01:24:25 pm »

What, goblins can look at those little pups and not think of bringing them home? Goblins have no soul!

...Well, either that or they can't bear the thought of the little one crying about being taken away from their parents, in which case, I suddenly get a measure of respect.

Okay, I'm conflicted.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 02:16:35 pm »

Because elves live forever, a baby kidnapped year one will still be an issue. So this elf has had awhile to learn to kick butt.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.
Pages: [1] 2