Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Draining an Underground Lake (a.k.a. Trees Suck)  (Read 8293 times)

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Draining an Underground Lake (a.k.a. Trees Suck)
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:26:27 am »

No, it's not innuendo.

About 40 z-levels underground at my embark location, there's a lake which is large enough to touch all four sides of the map. I wanted to drain it entirely of liquid (I'm like that). First, I set about making controlled cave-ins to block off the sides of the screen - now there is a natural wall within three tiles of the edge on all sides. Next I built a pump stack to the surface (actually, I only built it to the bottom of my existing pump stack, but same thing) and began pumping.

More than a year later, I've completely drained about 1/3 of the screen, and the rest is sitting around 4-5 of 7 water. The reason the water's not flowing? Treeshrooms. There are so many growing so fast, that they've blocked the water from my pumps. I send in my handful of tree-cutters, and they proceed to get me lumber. Even after I've removed all the trees I can without anyone drowning, the water is still barely flowing at all - it's moving so slowly it evaporates before it reaches the bottom of my pump stack. Mind you, this will still get me a dry lakebed eventually, but I'd like to get things moving faster if possible.

Any suggestions for dealing with the underwater trees?

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Draining an Underground Lake (a.k.a. Trees Suck)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:55:04 am »

Nope.
Wish they could be prevented.

Why not drain the lake into HFS instead?
Lot less work than pump stacks.

Pretty sure you can safely create a "Hell Drain" using the following steps:
1) Find the blue beauty.
2) Carve fortifications.  After the stone around them is revealed, dig out the fortification if everything around is solid.
3) Repeat (2) until you hear screams.

Haven't tried this in df2010 yet.  Hope the killer clowns can't get past fortifications.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:16:30 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:22:05 am »

True. Also, clowns kill your FPS, even if they don't kill your dwarves. Just don't dig into hell unless you're in for some Fun, ok?
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:35:57 am »

Designate the lakebed as an empty stockpile. Apparently trees won't grow in stockpile-designated areas. Then you just have to worry about the ones that are already there.

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:41:04 am »

That is brilliant, Retro! I hadn't thought of that. Of course, I'll also have to worry about new trees growing in the same spot as a tree I cut down (stockpile designation skips trees), but it should work perfectly for most of it.

As for draining it to HFS vs pump stacks, I'm already pumping magma up more than 150 levels for use all around my fortress, and I'd rather not even go near the HFS until I'm very well-prepared, so I figure what's another 20 layers of pump stack?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:49:55 am »

You can also safely cut down all trees without worrying about drowning. 4 deep water won't cause drowning, and I suspect after the blockages are cleared, the 5 deep will drop quickly, or at least shift around with 4s allowing the dwarves to breathe.

Whether or not the dwarves will be willing to wade into water to cut down those trees is another matter entirely though.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 11:53:29 am »

That is brilliant, Retro! I hadn't thought of that. Of course, I'll also have to worry about new trees growing in the same spot as a tree I cut down (stockpile designation skips trees), but it should work perfectly for most of it.

Yeah, but if you cut down all the trees you can, you can just throw a new stockpile overtop and block the new gaps. Works like a charm. Biology ain't got nothin' on the DF interface.

You can also safely cut down all trees without worrying about drowning. 4 deep water won't cause drowning, and I suspect after the blockages are cleared, the 5 deep will drop quickly, or at least shift around with 4s allowing the dwarves to breathe.

It's true that they won't drown in 4/7, but they won't go into it or perform jobs in it either. 3/7 is the highest water level that dwarves will acknowledge as traverseable and do anything in. And having mixed 3/7 and 4/7 shifting water will sooort of work, but cause a lot of job cancellations due to terrain. You'll want to wait until you see the first 2/7 to send the dwarves in.

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 11:54:49 am »

I've already had dwarves cancelling tree-fellings left and right from running around in mixed 2/7-3/7 water.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 12:27:46 pm »

I Drained a lake (a small one) earlier today...I cut out a passage to the edge of the map, smmothed/fortificationed it, and then cave-ined to open the lakebed to the passage. Worked really well. With some exra digging you can puncture it at several points to get around blockages. 
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 12:39:45 pm »

Actually, treeshrooms can grow on smoothed ground. At one point I had one grow in a pump stack and it wouldn't pump until I removed it. After that, I constructed floors on every level. I haven't seen this happen with my magma pump stack yet, though, only the water one.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »

Water is easier to drain down than pump up. In reality and game, water seeks its lowest point. In game terms, dig a tunnel, and fortifications on the map edge below the pool. This will essentially be your "drain."

I would do retro's stockpile thing. Is it still true that treeshrooms can't grow on constructed floor tiles?

If so, that works here.

If not, elevated treeshroom farms....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 01:00:02 pm »

Its annoying yes, but its just an engineering project. Use pumps and a DWR to temporarily drain the lake dry.

Cut down all trees and pave over the lake bottom with paved roads made out of stone blocks. Once thats done turn off the DWR to allow the lake to refill, and now you never have to worry about annoying tower cap growth ever again.  :D

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 02:18:50 pm »

If you've blocked off the open sides of the cavern lake you can just pump the water over the dam and it will flow off the side of the screen.  There's really no need to pump it to the surface unless you want to muddy everything aboveground for some aesthetic reason.

Also, even without trees you'll have a long wait to get rid of a large, flat area of water if you pump from just one point.  Water spreading is a lot slower than you think.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 04:38:14 pm »

Makes me think how fun the life of dwarf plumbers is. They need to constantly tend to clogging pump stacks and ducts due to fungal growth.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: [1] 2