Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unclaimable items  (Read 703 times)

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
Unclaimable items
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:34:43 am »

Hi guys. I am not sure if this is a bug, could be a 'feature'.
I have reclaimed a fort that got over run with gobbos and have been slowly gathering stuff back into the stockpiles and stuff.
However it apears there are a number of items arround that I can't seem to move or use. They are not labeled as forbidden.
I have a bag blocking where I want a wall, a lump of stone blocking a kiln site, etc. There is a door laying out in the field and I get 'needs door' when I want to place one.
Any idea?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unclaimable items
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:39:29 am »

I have reclaimed a fort that got over run with gobbos and have been slowly gathering stuff back into the stockpiles and stuff.
However it apears there are a number of items arround that I can't seem to move or use. They are not labeled as forbidden.
I have a bag blocking where I want a wall, a lump of stone blocking a kiln site, etc. There is a door laying out in the field and I get 'needs door' when I want to place one.
Any idea?

Possibly silly counter-question, but is each actually an item tasked in some way?  A bit like a lump of stone tasked to build one bit of wall (which as yet hasn't been started on, so no dwarf is looking at) could block another bit of wall.

Might it be worth doing something like Stock-screen forbidding every item of that type, seeing if that cancels any jobs (it will, of course, cancel similar ones if done is such a gung-ho manner) then re-allow and let normal 'getting around to it' tasking (or explicit building using that item) act upon it...

Or it could indeed be a bug.

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:05:03 am »

Any idea?

Possibly silly counter-question, but is each actually an item tasked in some way?  A bit like a lump of stone tasked to build one bit of wall (which as yet hasn't been started on, so no dwarf is looking at) could block another bit of wall.

Might it be worth doing something like Stock-screen forbidding every item of that type, seeing if that cancels any jobs (it will, of course, cancel similar ones if done is such a gung-ho manner) then re-allow and let normal 'getting around to it' tasking (or explicit building using that item) act upon it...

Or it could indeed be a bug.

Hay, thanks for the quick responce.
I have tried tis unsucessfully. Canceled all stone related work then tried to build with the blocking bit of stone (only bit of spare microcline in the area) and didn't even get it in the materials menu. :(

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:09:49 am »

When you reclaim, all objects that were tasked for any job when you abandoned, are untouchable when you reclaim.  The only way to fix this is to forcibly move those objects, by channeling under them or pushing them with water or similar means, or destroying them by cave-ins or magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:14:16 am »

When you reclaim, all objects that were tasked for any job when you abandoned, are untouchable when you reclaim.  The only way to fix this is to forcibly move those objects, by channeling under them or pushing them with water or similar means, or destroying them by cave-ins or magma.

Ah,that makes sense I think.
When you say the only way to fix it, does that mean they are reclaimable after they have been forcibly moved?

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:19:55 am »

When a tasked item is moved, it is no longer tasked.  That is why you sometimes see the job canceled: item removed or destroyed.  Easy to test.  Make a few blocks in a mason's workshop that has no stockpile.  Queue up a building.  Deconstruct the mason's workshop.  The blocks will be moved and the building order will be canceled.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 06:24:46 pm »

When a tasked item is moved, it is no longer tasked.  That is why you sometimes see the job canceled: item removed or destroyed.  Easy to test.  Make a few blocks in a mason's workshop that has no stockpile.  Queue up a building.  Deconstruct the mason's workshop.  The blocks will be moved and the building order will be canceled.
Tried this out earlier and it worked great on the untouchable objects.
Thanks.