Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training difficulties  (Read 1116 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training difficulties
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:09:36 pm »

I might be confused about something.  I created three squads and split my population between them.  They train every third month according to the schedule.  What I noticed, however, is that they all train all the time.  Not a good thing (oh, and the miners drop their picks and the woodcutters drop their axes).

So I disbanded the squads.  They kept training.

So I demolished the weapon rack (thanks to the obtuse UI, I managed to forget a dwarf).  Now I have 26 dwarves sitting around with  "no job" (and one dwarf doing stuff).  The miner picked up his pick, but won't mine; nobody is hauling anything, etc.

Am I going to have to revert by a season, or is there something to fix?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:22:01 pm by numerobis »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Training difficulties
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:15:29 pm »

Revert - dwarves that train immediately stop doing civilian work.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:17:10 pm »

I think it's a known bug that, once a dwarf has performed the "Individual Training" task, he/she will never actually work again. As the Individual Training is what Idling dwarves in squads do, I think all your dwarves (aside from that single, busy one) are now useless apart from being the largest standing military per capita I've ever heard of. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that's the case.

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:19:08 pm »

I pretty much assume that any dwarves I assign to the military will never do civilian work again.  Which is OK, since I usually start my first squad at 60+ dwarves, and these are otherwise unskilled extra mouths.

- Gus

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:20:31 pm »

Well that puts a damper on my fortress.

TheDarkEnigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 01:37:29 am »

Yes, there are many, many military bugs and all of them are pretty nasty. I've personally found one that's the opposite of yours - I have Dwarves that REFUSE to train no matter what you do with them, but they'll happily cart around items and behave like non-military Dwarves any day of the week. I suppose you can call this the curse of 31.xx - awesome new features, sucky military.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:29:20 am »

Yes, there are many, many military bugs and all of them are pretty nasty. I've personally found one that's the opposite of yours - I have Dwarves that REFUSE to train no matter what you do with them, but they'll happily cart around items and behave like non-military Dwarves any day of the week. I suppose you can call this the curse of 31.xx - awesome new features, sucky military.

It seems to depend on each dwarf's personality. I've found that the regular Urist will go to individual combat drills all fine, however any dwarf that has the "occasionally procrastinates" or similar message will not ever do individual combat drills. Those dwarves will, however do civilian work while being in the military, as long as they're set to inactive.

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 09:04:27 am »

I've been able to have some success with the "Assign them no task so they do individual C. Training" method.  Soldiers will spend most hours training their weapon skills (not much armor/dodge etc. increase).

The main problem I have using this method, is that the Militia Commander (and captains? Haven't checked) won't train using this method.  Feels odd having an commander with no talent leading a company of legendary axe dwarves.
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 09:57:29 am »

I've been able to have some success with the "Assign them no task so they do individual C. Training" method.  Soldiers will spend most hours training their weapon skills (not much armor/dodge etc. increase).

The main problem I have using this method, is that the Militia Commander (and captains? Haven't checked) won't train using this method.  Feels odd having an commander with no talent leading a company of legendary axe dwarves.

Commanders and captains will train except if they're lazy and don't. It's on a dwarf-by-dwarf basis. Basically, assign another commander and he will train. :P

And yeah, I've found that individual combat training is the only reliable and safe way to train. Any other method either risks your dwarves to unhealable bruises, or risks them being stuck in some infinite useless training loop which won't give them any skills.

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 11:26:26 am »

Commanders and captains will train except if they're lazy and don't. It's on a dwarf-by-dwarf basis. Basically, assign another commander and he will train. :P

And yeah, I've found that individual combat training is the only reliable and safe way to train. Any other method either risks your dwarves to unhealable bruises, or risks them being stuck in some infinite useless training loop which won't give them any skills.

Makes sense - too bad EVERY SINGLE DWARF in my fortress is a lazy unreliable sot
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?