Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Life is hard  (Read 2820 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Life is hard
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 09:32:17 am »

Look for jobs in a neighboring town. If nobody's hiring where you live, move to where they are.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 09:55:12 am »

I'm always curious about what the expectations of people who post this kinds of things are... What do you exactly want from the b12 community when you post this?
It's either trolling, or an anonymous outlet for someone's problems. I doubt most people seriously believe they'll get any worthwhile advice, but they get to feel like they're doing something to fix their problem without actually making an effort to do so.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 03:34:07 pm »

I'm always curious about what the expectations of people who post this kinds of things are... What do you exactly want from the b12 community when you post this?
It's either trolling, or an anonymous outlet for someone's problems. I doubt most people seriously believe they'll get any worthwhile advice, but they get to feel like they're doing something to fix their problem without actually making an effort to do so.
It's funny 'cause it's true.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 05:49:06 pm »

You're doing nothing worth while with your life

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 03:01:33 pm »

I've been in similar situations.  I have found that the site Linked In helps out a bunch.  It is like a site where you put up your resume, and associate with previous business contacts that are generally hold a favorable view of you.

Recruiters contact me constantly, and I have received much work and many more job offers out of it.
igless

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 06:38:48 pm »

Craigslist or monster.com. Or both!

Polish a resume and spam it. Of course don't be an idiot and use the same cover letter for each application. Odds are 99% of the resumes will get absolutely no reply, but its the 1% you're hoping for.

It works. Just need to be persistent.  :D

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 11:05:09 pm »

Since no one has done so yet: @the title: thats not all she said was.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 06:00:42 pm »

Thats terrible and you should feel terrible.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 08:15:49 pm »

I'm sure you'll find a job after a while. Though it can certainly take a while in this economy, and could end up being something like fast food, manual labor, etc., since it sounds like you're looking for anything that pays and gives you something to do during the week, it'll happen. But you probably should find something else to do besides gaming, because electronics are not always reliable or cheap, and sitting on the computer all day is not the healthiest thing to do for extended periods of time...music (listening, playing, or singing), literature, movies, hiking, fishing, drawing/painting, creative writing, cooking, the list goes on and on. Good luck.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 08:46:13 pm »

I'm in much the same position you are, except I've taken to home repair, power washing, lawn mowing and general handiwork to keep some money going into my hands and my hands themselves from falling idle. I also took up a weird little motivational aid from The Sims 2; every morning I list four things I want to do, be it productive work or play, and after doing them cross them out and add a new thing to do. On my first day using this system I drank coffee, made out, ate spagetti, mowed the lawn, played DF, repaired the bathroom tile, and talked to a friend. It was a surprisingly productive day for one started after sleeping in until three, but with a list of what to accomplish, I accomplished something nonetheless.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 09:57:18 pm »

Thats terrible and you should feel terrible.

I do feel terrible. I'm entirely too much like boxbot.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 06:10:47 pm »

It is possible to feel more terrible than boxbot feels. Because boxbot cannot feel how terrible he is. He cannot fathom the texture, the oppressing Atlas-like burden of his terrible-ness.

Likewise is it possible to be more terrible than boxbot feels.

It is not possible to feel more terrible than boxbot is.

It is not possible to be more terrible than boxbot is.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 08:59:54 pm »

This thread and the OP

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW POOOOOR YOU.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 02:45:34 am »

This thread's a mess so I'm locking it.  There were a lot of people being rude, but the OP joined in so I'm shutting it down.  Next time use the moderator report button.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!
Pages: 1 [2]