Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Easy Ice Wall Creation  (Read 4379 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Easy Ice Wall Creation
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:27:31 pm »

This method is very simple, but it does not appear on the wiki for 31.04 or for 40d, and a quick search didn't turn up anything, so it seems to be unknown. So here's my contribution to dwarven science:

You can make ice walls very easily by designating a pond over an outside, freezing-temperature tile. Dwarves will drop water from one z-level above, the ice will freeze into an ice floor, then the next time a dwarf drops water on that tile, it becomes an ice wall.

See diagram:

Applications:

1. Infinite stone. Granted, that stone is ice, but still. Infinite given infinite water. And if you have ice and you're clever about it, you can get infinite water (2/7 of water freezes to an ice wall, which melts to 7/7 water).

2. Ice walls can be built in this way even on map edges. If you wanted, you could close off your fort entirely, or force people to come in from a certain side. I haven't tested this, though.

3. The ice walls are somewhat impervious to cave-in, if you're very, very careful. If the ice wall that forms is not supported, it does NOT immediately cause a cave-in. Instead, it just hovers in midair until you build a construction, or dig, or basically do anything that could normally cause or prevent a cave-in. Water always falls exactly one z-level before freezing.

4. Easier to make than obsidian.

5. Nothing can survive being encased in ice.

Drawbacks:

1. The infinite stone is ice, and there is seldom a shortage of stone anyway.

2. The ice walls will melt like normal ice if your climate is warm enough for ice to melt in the summer.

3. Weird stuff happens with ice walls made on map edges. As far as I can tell, sometimes they give support, and sometimes they do not. Sometimes, they'll even cave-in.

4. Needs a cold climate.

5. It's a slow process. Only one dwarf at a time will fill a given pond. But if you designate a separate pond zone for each tile, it'll go a lot faster. But unless you use macros, it'll take a long time to order all the pond designations.

6. Lots of "inappropriate building" job interruptions as ice walls are made.

7. Ice walls cannot be made on the top z-level with this method.

This should work in both 40d and in 31.03. I haven't tested it in 31.04, but it should work.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Ice Wall Creation
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:35:20 pm »

Interesting concept, but isn't ice (the stone) essentially useless for anything but constructions?

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:37:49 pm »

You can make buildings and such out of it, too. But yeah, ice stone isn't that good.

It's the ice walls that are more useful, in that they're different from constructed ice walls.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:40:11 pm »

I'd like to see someone casting a castle made of ice instead of building one out of ice.
Would probably be rather time consuming, but oh well.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:47:37 pm »

I'd like to see someone casting a castle made of ice instead of building one out of ice.
Would probably be rather time consuming, but oh well.

It'd melt in the summer.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:52:24 pm »

Not on a glacier.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:53:57 pm »

Not a new discovery, but certainly a fun one.

I have a fifteen story tower I've built using ice. I cheated, though, and made an ice mold, and then turned off temperature and used a pump stack to fill it up with water from an aquifer, and then turned temperature on again. It's 48x48 tiles large, so I'm left wondering what I'm going to do with it. I have bit more space than I need for a two hundred man fort, I think.

It'd melt in the summer.

Depends on climate. It's possible to get maps that are permanently frozen.

Another thing about natural ice: it doesn't cause any dust when it caves in.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 09:55:27 pm »

Another thing about natural ice: it doesn't cause any dust when it caves in.

Handy for controlled demolition..
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 10:38:36 pm »

@Jim Groovester: Use it as stone storage. or better (and more dwarfy) a magma reservoir

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 12:12:11 am »

"Gee, Urist, what are we going to do with all the room in our ice castle?"
"Keep magma in it!"

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 12:32:48 am »

actually, ice walls are impervious to magma.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 12:50:26 am »

I know that, it just seems ridiculous.

Also, give your noble a really nice bedroom and wall him in. Imagine all your dwarves pointing and laughing at him through the walls while he starves to death.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:55:11 am by Absentia »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 01:28:17 am »

@Jim Groovester: Use it as stone storage. or better (and more dwarfy) a magma reservoir

I'd have an obsidian tower if I did that. I don't even have magma on that map anyway.

I have natural ice walls, not constructed. As in I made them with flowing water and pond designations. Those are not impervious to magma.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 01:58:22 am »

ah. well then, use it as a deathtrap.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 05:29:12 am »

I'd have an obsidian tower if I did that. I don't even have magma on that map anyway.

I have natural ice walls, not constructed. As in I made them with flowing water and pond designations. Those are not impervious to magma.

Unless you have 40d, EVERYONE has magma.
Sig to be updated momentarily.
Pages: [1] 2