Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Game Soon!/Civilization 4 Mod: Fall from Heaven 2/Fall Further/Rise from Erebus  (Read 14644 times)

Pathos

I think these absolutely amazing Civ4 mods needs their own thread.

Basically, for those not in the know, these mods are built from the original Fall from Heaven mod (FfH1->FfH2->FF->RifE) and are a collection of "dark fantasy" mods for the game Civilization 4. They're almost professional in quality, and they're a hell of a lot of fun to play.

They also make you feel like you're a part of a living, breathing world, if you select the right options on world creation. Recently, I started a game where the world starts frozen and slowly thaws out the longer you play, with increased animals etc. I sent out my initial scout, raided a few ruins in the centre of the map and released a giant spider which he got killed by, but I thought nothing of it at the time. About a hundred turns later, I had gotten a message that Mokka (basically the leader of a bunch of frost-goblin things) had came to the world. All the ice tiles that were left (luckily none near my almost unprotected cities, since I was playing a faction that terraformed whatever land it landed on) spawned a bunch of frostlings. I sent out a few scouts to try and find where he was only to discover that the spiders had built up a fairly expansive bunch of spider dens near the centre of the map

Within 100 turns, a unit I had accidentally released from some ruins had set up a pseudo-empire that could probably crush me fairly easily. (Spiders are overpowered.) I rushed for the tech that would make peace with them (makes peace with the entire nature barbarian faction) and hoped to god the city didn't get captured by frostlings.

Honestly, this was the most fun game of Civ4 I've EVER had.

How about you guys, ever played it? Got any stories?

(Oh, and the Illians are way overpowered in Rise from Erebus. They got like 1000 points whilst I was on 400-odd.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:58:48 am by Pathos »

Pathos

Apparently it's going to be a game too, soon, but I can't find the link. Anyone got the link?

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently it's going to be a game too, soon, but I can't find the link. Anyone got the link?

More like: game eventually, but ya (and it's gonna be amazing !!). http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=361727

I love ffh2, but I haven't played any of the modmods before. Do they make the AI suck less?

Pathos

More like: game eventually, but ya (and it's gonna be amazing !!). http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=361727

I love ffh2, but I haven't played any of the modmods before. Do they make the AI suck less?

It seems so, but I'm not entirely certain.

Rise from Erebus modmod. Technically it's a modmodmod, since it's built off Fall Further (it was originally called Fall Further Plus).

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think Ill try it after I finish my current game. I'm the Luchirip and I blocked the lanun, who had a yggdrasil in their capital, from expanding beyond their small peninsula early on. I had some luck early game; Orthus spawned right next to one of my cities, but he suicided on the 2 brave warriors defending it. I teched up until I could build golems and built an army to grab the yggdrasil. They were easily destroyed by barnaxus with orthus' axe and an army of wood golems. Now I've got the yggdrasil AND an unstoppable army -- this game won't last long.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder if we will get to view it like last time.

I really enjoyed that last game with uhhh... I forgot his name but it started with a D... (dang my bad memory)

Pathos

It's amazing how little sense this makes to one who has never played even Civ 4 before. XD

Are Civ 4 and these mods worth playing to one who didn't much like Civ 3? My brother has a hard copy of the game and I'm wondering if it's worth the computer space.

The mod is, at the very least. Civ4 is basically Civ3 with a few rules changes / streamlining / additions. Like you don't have to mentally calculate the odds of winning a battle, it does it for you when you "contemplate" the move.

I think Ill try it after I finish my current game. I'm the Luchirip and I blocked the lanun, who had a yggdrasil in their capital, from expanding beyond their small peninsula early on. I had some luck early game; Orthus spawned right next to one of my cities, but he suicided on the 2 brave warriors defending it. I teched up until I could build golems and built an army to grab the yggdrasil. They were easily destroyed by barnaxus with orthus' axe and an army of wood golems. Now I've got the yggdrasil AND an unstoppable army -- this game won't last long.

Dirty above-ground dwarves!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I kind of like the alt-history aspect of the Civ games, but yeah these completely change the civs and leaders (and even the genre(?) of the game so it's fantasy instead of "historical") so you can't say "Hey, Gandhi didn't kill everyone and dominate the world!"
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh I mistaken the Topic creator's intent. Ohh well.

That was a fun time last time. Though a new mod is alright, it really depends if they can make those mods fit together better.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile

Don't listen to Pathos. He has a hate-on for the Vanilla Civ series for some reason. Civ 4 is actually a major overhaul over Civ 3. I didn't like Civ 3, either, feeling it to be the worst of the series, but Civ 4 is my favorite.

Granted, if your problem is that you are playing as a prehistoric Abe Lincoln who builds Pyramids and establishes a monarchy, and you just can't handle that, the entire series is not for you.

On the topic of FFH: There is no FFH1. I don't think it ever existed. I saw a CivFanatics thread to this extent a month or two ago.

I've been thinking of starting a PBEM on here where we write short stories about the citizens of our empires in  between turns, but I'm doubtful anybody would even be interested.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally I don't know why they didn't just do what a previous civilisation-like game did and just change what the characters look like in differing eras (the Egyptians were AWSOME! their Sci-fi gear was cool)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile

I love me some BtS. Personally I enjoy RoM + AND more than FfH2 but they are both very good.

Pathos

Don't listen to Pathos. He has a hate-on for the Vanilla Civ series for some reason. Civ 4 is actually a major overhaul over Civ 3. I didn't like Civ 3, either, feeling it to be the worst of the series, but Civ 4 is my favorite.

Granted, if your problem is that you are playing as a prehistoric Abe Lincoln who builds Pyramids and establishes a monarchy, and you just can't handle that, the entire series is not for you.

It's not really that much of a major overhaul. It's just a few rules changes and streamlining. Like the whole "you don't have to convert research" thing since it overflows, which is very nice.

Grakelin's just pissed because I beat him in an argument about a month ago in a thread, and he didn't reply to it. He now has to bite my ankles at every opportunity.

On the topic of FFH: There is no FFH1. I don't think it ever existed. I saw a CivFanatics thread to this extent a month or two ago.

I've been thinking of starting a PBEM on here where we write short stories about the citizens of our empires in  between turns, but I'm doubtful anybody would even be interested.

Check your scenario folder in BtS? o.O It comes prepackaged with the game itself!

Alternatively, look here.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More of a problem than anything in Civ 3 was that you could be prehistoric Abe Lincoln who then proceeds to builds the Pyramids and establish a monarchy.

I'm under the assumption these mods would fix change this.

There is a historic mod where you are supposed to follow history. I think it's rhye's and fall of civilization, but I could be wrong.

FFH2 is different -- it is a dark fantasy mod and adds in magic, powerful religions, weapons and dragons and all that cool stuff. The most interesting part is that every race (and religion) is vastly different and generally very powerful in their own way. For example elves can build any improvements over forests and pirates can build pirate coves that give them extra gold. The idea is that every race can be overpowered and interesting and hopefully they will all balance out because they are all equally overpowered (and it works really well). Everyone also has a "superpower" world spell that you can use once per game that usually is a very big deal. It's very differant from regular civ where you only get differant traits; you have to expect a very different play-style from every individual civ.

The mythos behind it is really awesome too. Every fantasy stereotype is in from desert raiders to vampires to angels, but they also really feel like they fit together in the same world. I think the dark fantasy part pulls it together because every race and leader has their own little quirks or twists to them (i.e.they are all a little bit crazy). If someone summons Hyborem (the devil basically) then you could always summon the angle civ to fight them, but they also believe in destroying evil (and of course they think EVERYONE is evil), so you can't guarantee that it won't come back to haunt you later.

Pathos

There is a historic mod where you are supposed to follow history. I think it's rhye's and fall of civilization, but I could be wrong.

FFH2 is different -- it is a dark fantasy mod and adds in magic, powerful religions, weapons and dragons and all that cool stuff. The most interesting part is that every race (and religion) is vastly different and generally very powerful in their own way. For example elves can build any improvements over forests and pirates can build pirate coves that give them extra gold. The idea is that every race can be overpowered and interesting and hopefully they will all balance out because they are all equally overpowered (and it works really well). Everyone also has a "superpower" world spell that you can use once per game that usually is a very big deal. It's very differant from regular civ where you only get differant traits; you have to expect a very different play-style from every individual civ.

The mythos behind it is really awesome too. Every fantasy stereotype is in from desert raiders to vampires to angels, but they also really feel like they fit together in the same world. I think the dark fantasy part pulls it together because every race and leader has their own little quirks or twists to them (i.e.they are all a little bit crazy). If someone summons Hyborem (the devil basically) then you could always summon the angle civ to fight them, but they also believe in destroying evil (and of course they think EVERYONE is evil), so you can't guarantee that it won't come back to haunt you later.

Rhye's and Fall is pretty fun, but it's next to impossible (by which I mean pretty much impossible) to expand outside of "historical" borders.

And, yep, you pretty much captured it there.

I'm doing an LP of the latest version here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5