Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First there was Awesome. Then there was Science. Also there are *Spoilers*  (Read 1997 times)

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Poor Urist had no idea what was happening to him.  He had fallen asleep by the wagon, bundled up under his pigtail cloak in a pile of snow.  He had been drinking last night, that much was for sure.  Someone was playing a cruel joke he thought.  His cloak was damp, probably with snow, and someone kept lightly shoving it.  Rakust wanted him to go brew another batch, but Rakust would have to wait. 

Oy.  Quit it, he mumbled.  But the shoves continued.  He rolled over. 
Oy stop it I'm awake, he moaned, still under his cloak. 

What was that awful smell.  He knew that smell from the mountain home.  It was blood.  Not dwarven blood, and not quite fresh, actually it was a little off, but it probably meant that dinner was up. 

Urist jumped out from under his cloak, hoping to beat the crowds to the dining hall. 

And then he saw it.  It.  It wasn't Rakust, it was a giant towering man made entirely of blood.  A... Blood Man. 

Urist ran.  He ran and ran, through the endless glacier.  He prayed, not to Armok, knowing Armok would probably favor a man made entirely of blood over himself, but to his own god of murder and loving kindness. 

Urist glanced over his shoulder.  The blood man was no longer chasing him.  It had slowed to a stop several paces behind him. 

And then the Awesome occured.

The Blood Man's left hand froze solid, and fell to the ground, a pile of frozen corrupted blood.  Then his right hand.  Finally his head. 

This gave Urist an idea for Dwarven Science. 
*Spoilers Below*
Question:  What happens when demons are released onto a glacier?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But that's not the science... The science is this:  If you release demons into a cavern in reach of your dwarves, your fps drops like mad (dropped to 16 from 150ish).  However, if you release them into a staircase running straight up to the surface with no cavern access, and no access to your dwarves, your fps does not take as large a hit.  (dropped to 80 from 150ish)

Thus begins the real science.  I hypothesize that the reason opening hell is slow is because all the demons released to begin with are fliers.  I believe that keeping them in a relatively small enclosed area will not cause anywhere near as much of a performance hit as giving them free reign over the caverns.  Further, I hypothesize that very large open rectangular spaces with no obstacles (aka the open space above ground) are far less painful than caverns. 

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile

Dude, the Blood Man solidified and crumbled Simon Phillips stype?

That IS awesome.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

That IS awesome.

vapour beasts condense
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

So digging into Hell from a spot outside the actual fort in a freezing area can weed out the steam demons?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile

That IS awesome.

vapour beasts condense
...duuuuuuuude...
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only his hands crumbled into separate pieces.  Then he... bled to death?  I didn't exactly get a cool message about it, I just know he went down without a single punch being thrown.  I checked the combat logs thrice, though they were long logs, with him splashing my poor farmer's cloak for pages.  And there were piles of frozen corrupted blood, which was awesome.

He wasn't a vapour beast.  He was a blood man, so technically, he froze.

As to the steam demons, I had boiling demons and chickens made of flame, along with a huge number of salt and snow demons, the boiling demons and the flaming chickens melted the snow around them, but did not leave puddles of water, the snow demons didn't create new snow around them, which made me sad. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

Blarg. Demons probably have fixed temperatures.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Maybe it's not fixed temperature but that the fire demons are too warm to be affected, as opposed to the blood man that is A; made of a liquid material that freezes when exposed to the temperatures of the glacier and B; has a normal body temperature and no insulation. It was exposed for a long period of time, which resulted in it's freezing.

We need a thermometer script to tell us the temperature of any given tile or object so we know exactly what's going on here.

On another note, blood men are utterly pathetic, they almost never do any damage and just about anything will seriously wound them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile

On another note, blood men are utterly pathetic, they almost never do any damage and just about anything will seriously wound them.

Well, they're made of blood. Getting hit in the face with a warm liquid isn't going to do much damage unless it's coming at fire-hose velocity. Or enough to drown you. Now if the blood were toxic...

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Absentia
Now if the blood were toxic...

Aids?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Quote from: Absentia
Now if the blood were toxic...

Aids?

Spore-based reproduction means HIV loses most of its punch, sadly.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

Demons and other fire creatures not ... freezing? dousing? Is due to the fact that its a 'flames' are a solid material now. So even if the fixed temp lets you cool it (it doesnt) the creature wouldnt die.

They should make great snow cleaners though.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!