Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Asshat Warlord  (Read 1990 times)

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Asshat Warlord
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:40:09 pm »

So, I was doing my first quest, to kill the bear-fiend Nkaogan. I asked around before I left the warlord's village, and it turns out, this bear dude is the human's lawgiver. I think, "Ok, so I guess he's some sort of tyrannical ruler" and I go to kill him. I have a hell of a time finding him, but with the help of stonesense, I finally do. It's a pretty drawn out battle, because I keep getting charged, but I eventually kill him.

I fast travel back to the warlord, and spawn in the mead hall. First think I see:

"I am the warlord blah"
"Prepare to die"

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!??!?! (Oh well, at least I have a steel battleaxe)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Asshat Warlord
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:53:28 pm »

This is a known bug.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:27:25 am »

Yeah, this seems to be everyone's problem. At this point you'd be crazy not to strategize around it.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:33:03 am »

He used you in his quest for power, he had you kill his greatest hurdle to the throne, but he expected you to die in the attempt.

When you showed up at his door he had to act innocent and try to kill you in order to maintain his position.  If everyone knew he hired an adventurer to kill the law giver he would never become king.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:14:06 am »

He used you in his quest for power, he had you kill his greatest hurdle to the throne, but he expected you to die in the attempt.

When you showed up at his door he had to act innocent and try to kill you in order to maintain his position.  If everyone knew he hired an adventurer to kill the law giver he would never become king.

Unfortunately, he didn't see the pane of glass above the adventurer's head, and got his ass handed to him.

One of the first rules of genre-savvyness is that you don't screw with the PC.

Reminds me of something someone said about the emperor in Oblivion at the beginning, "he saw the camera floating behind me and he said "Oh, you must be the PC, I guess I have to die now" and he gave me his macguffins and died".
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 11:58:17 am »

Reminds me of something someone said about the emperor in Oblivion at the beginning, "he saw the camera floating behind me and he said "Oh, you must be the PC, I guess I have to die now" and he gave me his macguffins and died".

I like that theory better than Captain Picard's ability to precisely identify a talking lizard in a dark barely torchlit cell as one he saw in a dream Armok knows how long ago.  I don't know about anyone else but all those argonians look alike to me, I couldn't identify a particular one if my life depended on it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:20:53 pm »

Unfortunately, he didn't see the pane of glass above the adventurer's head, and got his ass handed to him.
If by pane of glass, you mean =Steel Battle Axe= then you would be correct. Doesn't hurt that I somehow got legendary wrestler/fighter from the bear fiend. (Which is surprising, considering he was my first fight, other than two wolves and a bear)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »

If by pane of glass, you mean =Steel Battle Axe= then you would be correct. Doesn't hurt that I somehow got legendary wrestler/fighter from the bear fiend. (Which is surprising, considering he was my first fight, other than two wolves and a bear)

I've had dwarves get legendary wrestling in mere seconds by telling them to attack zombie horses.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:40:38 am »

Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:06:36 am »

I don't know about anyone else but all those argonians look alike to me.
Racist!  :P

But I think this is the result of Toady adding split loyalty to DF. But because of this bug, instead of people being able to ascribe leadership values to multiple people, the people of an area will ascribe maximum loyalty to all leaders in an area. The leaders themselves will do this as well. Thus, when given a quest to off some Demon Lawgiver or other rival leader, the everyone in the area (including your quest giver) will become hostile as a result of you killing their beloved leader. In any other game, I'd ask Toady to focus more on testing things like this for bugs instead of giving humans gold blood to test metal cooling, but as this is DF, I quite like the unintended and funny bugs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 05:46:25 pm »

Once the bug is fixed, this should still happen every once in a while.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:48:04 pm »

Sounds like a direct copy of the story for a dwarf noble in Dragon Age Origins...

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 04:35:28 pm »

Sounds like a direct copy of the story for a dwarf noble in Dragon Age Origins...

I'm sure it's much older than that.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 10:03:36 pm »

The idea? Yes. Very much so, probably outdates written history. Was just pointing out a modern example.