Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ok wow  (Read 1608 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ok wow
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:57:07 pm »

I just found that the first cavern layer in my world is something like 31 z levels from ceiling to floor, and possibly larger.

I think cavern layer openness has something to do with this...

blastrogath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ok wow
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:51:56 pm »

My dad found a lake full of stalagtite/stalagmite pillars 50 levels tall, the highest uninterupted drop was 48 z levels.  There are not words for how much I love what's been done to the underground!  :D

I haven't yet been so lucky, but I dig down less agressively than he does.

I don't know what exactly openness does myself, I haven't had a chance to experiment yet.  I'm sorely tempted to crank that and interconectedness to 80-100 in worldgen.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 04:56:35 am »

My current fort was genned with openenness 100-100, passage density 0-0 water 0-100 and I have a cavern that stretches in total about 90 z-levels, the tallest single drop within that cavern is 65 z levels straight down.
I'm not sure that openness directly controls z-height, but I think it has some effect at least.
And yes, the caverns are awesome.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:49:22 am by Vicomt »

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 09:31:13 am »

If not height, openness may control how open it is to the outside world (I.e. how many tiles hit an edge)

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:38:01 am »

My current fort was genned with openenness 100-100, passage density 0-0 water 0-100 and I have a cavern that stretches in total about 90 z-levels, the tallest single drop within that cavern is 65 z levels straight down.
I'm not sure that openness directly controls z-height, but I think it has some effect at least.
And yes, the caverns are awesome.

Openness gives you wide caverns, but doesn't seem to guarantee tall ones: highest drop I've found with the same settings was only about 7 or 8 z-levels, and that's over 3 or 4 embarks.

Annoying, as I was wanting to make a Moria-style fortress with stone bridges over very deep chasms. I would really like to know the world gen info and embark site for that mega cavern.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 11:39:00 am »

I did some pocket world testing.

The Openness and Passage Density seem to have no affect on total Z height, but they gave me strange results within the caverns.

Here are some results. I'm beginning to have the suspicion that openness and passage density affect caverns in relation to each other. dunno though.
Open:100
PD:0

Empty caverns, no areas containing ceiling to floor walls.
Open:100
PD:100

Mostly empty caverns, with the occasional area containing ceiling to floor walls.
Open:0
PD:100

Filled caverns. Almost entirely made of ceiling to floor walls.

All the caverns were 4-7 z levels (except one that was 20, curse you random world generator), so I have no clue as to what affects cavern z height. It could possibly be the "z levels above layer X" settings, but I don't know.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:18:01 pm by darkrider2 »