Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212686 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #420 on: October 25, 2010, 01:56:44 pm »

Aim at their right hands! Everyone in New Vegas is right handed. Once they lose their weapons, they run like little baby girls.

Also, I keep getting the feeling that the courier is supposed to be a lesbian female. Out of all four of the gender perks, black widow seems to appear the most in conversation trees.

McCrea: New Vegas is to FO3 what FO2 was to FO1.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #421 on: October 25, 2010, 02:01:28 pm »

To me it just seems like you're being stubborn for the sake of it.
FO:NV, for me at least, is different to FO3 mainly because it's developed by Obsidian. Sure it uses the same engine, but it really manages to capture the fallout vibe, and feels more like a fallout game than 3. As for why is it a different game? Well, if it was DLC it'd still be great value for money, and it's got more content than Fo3 + DLC's had (imo) so...
It's less being stubborn and more not wanting to spend £30 on a game I already have.

@Calhoun: I loved Banjo Kazooie, never touched Banjo Tooie.

@uniman: Never played FO1 or 2, so the comparison's no help.

Despite all this, I have money, so fuck it, I'll buy it. But if it's shite, I'ma come back and rant. Be warned.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 25, 2010, 02:02:39 pm »

FO:NV, for me at least, is different to FO3 mainly because it's developed by Obsidian. Sure it uses the same engine, but it really manages to capture the fallout vibe, and feels more like a fallout game than 3. As for why is it a different game? Well, if it was DLC it'd still be great value for money, and it's got more content than Fo3 + DLC's had (imo) so...

Oh my god, you need to get your hands on a copy of Banjo Tooie.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 25, 2010, 02:18:15 pm »

[SPEECH: 35] 30 pounds is a lot of money just to find an excuse to vent on people who really don't want to hear it.  8)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 25, 2010, 02:22:58 pm »

[SPEECH: 35] 30 pounds is a lot of money just to find an excuse to vent on people who really don't want to hear it.  8)

+20 exp

LEVEL UP!
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #425 on: October 25, 2010, 02:24:22 pm »

I was looking for an excuse anyway.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 25, 2010, 03:59:08 pm »

It's less being stubborn and more not wanting to spend £30 on a game I already have.

@uniman: Never played FO1 or 2, so the comparison's no help.

Despite all this, I have money, so fuck it, I'll buy it. But if it's shite, I'ma come back and rant. Be warned.
Eh, I disagree on FO1&2 comparison here... FO1 was smaller than FO2, but it had a cool questline and many characters which had awesome dialogues (and the % of "talking heads" to total NPC count was higher).

What did we have in FO3? One more or less developed-city (Megaton) with just a few quests, the most important of which was very annoying, although quite interesting at times... Then we had Rivet City with a few quests and different settlements with 1-3 quests... Most of characters had similar or same voices, and quests in majority were quite bland.
Now the most important thing... How many ways to play the game did we have? Right, we had one good ending (when you die or not, it's still the same) and one bad ending. Most of quests didn't matter. Factions didn't matter much. Raiders were enemies, settlers were friends.

Now Fallout:NV. We have the starting town with a few quests. We have many settlements with a few quests. Sounds similar? Right, but characters are greatly voiced and most quests make sense. Also there's a new "reputation" system so you do not work for good/bad, but for different factions, which usually allows more than one choice, and you have to think what do you want. There're still a few a bit silly/illogical quests when you start to think, but there's a lot of really good ones. Also there's a lot of "hidden" quests which are either like rumours (not in quest log, there were a few in FO3 but here much more) or you have to meet some requirements to get them, so they pop quite randomly and you can get them on your 2nd/3rd walkthrough without knowing about them.
And then here's Vegas, which basically consists of Strip and a few towns, with tons of quests. Also there're multiple Vaults to explore, and they are usually related to different "outside" quests, so it makes it more interesting than "dive in, loot, leave" or "go in and complete a local quest". And the most important part: the raiders are not necessary "bad guys", there're many factions and you can work with them or kill them (or stay neutral).
About main quest: the main questline has 4 major "branches" with subbranches which have many quests and lead to totally different endings (you either serve 3 major factions or yourself). Also most of side quests are still related to the main questline, so your ability to complete/fail/miss them affects the ending, so you have much more reasons to play side questlines rather thain FO3 where they looked like fillers for the timespending.

There's a lot more stuff to add. But main advantages of F:NV over FO3 if you want it:
- Better dialogues, quests and voice acting.
- More interesting characters (probably is the same as the 1st)
- More developed places
- Faction system (a lot here: no more "good/bad" choices, playable raiders, ability to destroy/ally factions and sometimes make them to have peace)
- More useful "speech" skills and various funny perks like bachelor/woman killer; basically dialogues have much more checks now which can end quests in quite different ways.
- A general atmosphere I like more, the landscape is not perfect but towns and overall design is quite good.

Now this sounds like a fanboy yelling at you, but mind you, I am not really happy with F:NV, it's just my constructive criticizm.

It still has that insane "hp per level" thing which makes strong NPC to shoot at each other for minutes, which really breaks the immersion. You should use hp/armor balancing mods which decrease overall HP and increase importance of armor, this way the games seems "right". Also it needs a lot of other mods to make it funnier, BUT it's quite very funny even with only balancing mods, in comparison to FO:3 which I played once and stopped playing. Here I am starting my 2nd character soon, I want to play quests differently and try other factions.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 25, 2010, 04:05:59 pm »

Hey deon, I'd be more then happy to do some voice acting for the ghouls, I can do a pretty decent gutteral sounding voice, and I have a decent mic.
Nom nom nom

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 25, 2010, 04:32:28 pm »

Also, I keep getting the feeling that the courier is supposed to be a lesbian female. Out of all four of the gender perks, black widow seems to appear the most in conversation trees.

<.< I usually pick girl characters just because I like going into third person mode and watching running booty whenever I please. >.>

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 25, 2010, 04:33:38 pm »

The ghouls quest at the rocket factory is awesome.
Don't spoiler it though, I just got it.

Also companions now actually are useful.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 25, 2010, 05:31:25 pm »

I've already decided on my next playthrough roll.

10 STRENGTH
10 ENDURANCE
1 CHARISMA

MELEE WEAPONS

JASON VOORHEES SHALL STALK NEW VEGAS
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 25, 2010, 05:34:06 pm »

Hey deon, I'd be more then happy to do some voice acting for the ghouls, I can do a pretty decent gutteral sounding voice, and I have a decent mic.
Thank you for offering, as I said I plan a small ghoul ghetto, so it would be awesome.

Right now I need someone to make sounds for Buck Steak, a butcher-merchant with a bit strange quest in the future.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 25, 2010, 05:36:24 pm »

10 STRENGTH
10 ENDURANCE
1 CHARISMA

MELEE WEAPONS

I've got a strength of 7 and an unarmed skill of 20 and I can one-hit almost everything with the ballistic fist.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 25, 2010, 05:41:22 pm »

10 STRENGTH
10 ENDURANCE
1 CHARISMA

MELEE WEAPONS

I've got a strength of 7 and an unarmed skill of 20 and I can one-hit almost everything with the ballistic fist.
ranger take down move kicks ass.
Nom nom nom

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 25, 2010, 05:44:33 pm »

ranger take down move kicks ass.
That it does, 'course, when you kill things in one hit, it doesn't make a difference!

Unrelatededit:

Deon, somethings not right. I'll have to do some further testing, but I think theres a save-related problem.

Ugh, seems almost random.

Edit3: Well, I dunno. I can't reproduce it outside of that save, yet that save was functioning only moments ago. Dunno what's happened. Oh well, guess I have to play without lootable cars  :'(.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:20:36 pm by Calhoun »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 128