Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [31.03] Monarch arrival condition (or lack thereof)  (Read 4176 times)

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
[31.03] Monarch arrival condition (or lack thereof)
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:55:21 am »

I have not yet met the HFS in this version, and i'm carefully avoiding spoilers, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was wondering, will this be a possible trigger for the coming of the king/queen, as in 40d? The wiki doesn't list any arrival condition for them yet (no idea how accurate the article is atm), and my searches didn't come up with anything.

Thanks for any help!

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [31.03] Monarch arrival condition (or lack thereof)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 07:03:50 am »

Nope.  I'm not sure exactly what the trigger is, but just adamantite won't do it in 31.0x.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Pheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:06:17 am »

The arrival of the monarch no longer happens from the discovery of *spoiler*. Most likely because every 4x4 map is guaranteed at least one vein.
If it did happen that way, throwing a kitten down a volcano would result in the king or queen's arrival within a year!

I suspect that the arrival conditions are very close to that of 40d. ATM I am working on a fortress with the sole goal of becoming a mountainhome, as I have not done so yet in 31.03.

If anyone has the requirements, please note them.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 09:05:22 am »

If it did happen that way, throwing a kitten down a volcano would result in the king or queen's arrival within a year!

Good point, i didn't think of that.

Good luck on your project. I have kinda the opposite goal for now, i don't really feel ready to receive the ruler of my civilization. My fortress has a population of 65, half of them children, and i'm suffering from the multiple mayors bug.
I'd like to start a magma fueled industry without having to deal with another noble (even though s/he shouldn't make mandate or demands, i suppose, but still).

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:12:32 am »

My god.  Sigged for sheer beauty.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »

My fortress was promoted to a duchy, and I haven't had a single noble since an unfortunate incident long ago.  It doesn't seem to make any difference what type of "kingdom" I have, no new nobles are arriving.

My last mayor had a terrible incident after sentencing a legendary gem setter to a beating for failure to procure native aluminum items.  My current mayor is in the military, and despite being locked in a room with the dwarfen liaison he will not meet--despite his current task being conduct meeting.
igless

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:45:34 pm »

My current mayor is in the military, and despite being locked in a room with the dwarfen liaison he will not meet--despite his current task being conduct meeting.

Is the room they're locked in the mayor's office? I've had some issues in 31.0x with meetings not actually taking place unless they take place in the assigned office.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 02:06:55 pm »

My fortress was promoted to a duchy, and I haven't had a single noble since an unfortunate incident long ago.  It doesn't seem to make any difference what type of "kingdom" I have, no new nobles are arriving.

My last mayor had a terrible incident after sentencing a legendary gem setter to a beating for failure to procure native aluminum items.  My current mayor is in the military, and despite being locked in a room with the dwarfen liaison he will not meet--despite his current task being conduct meeting.
I thought legendaries were immune to beatings.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 10:07:14 pm »

The diplomat will eventually (after a year) leave unhappy.  Military men don't talk, even if they're high officials.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 03:26:17 am »

I heard a rumor in a different thread that Toady had dropped a hint in the irc channel about the arrival conditions for a King in 2010. It has nothing to do with HFS or any discoveries. Take this with a grain of salt because it could just be pure fiction but allegedly:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe that's true. Maybe it's not. That's just what I heard.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Nakanja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 12:12:22 pm »

I got my military mayor to talk to the diplomat.  I had to delete the barracks and do a lot of "station here", "cancel orders" before he'd get the hint.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 12:14:53 pm »

Tastypaste, those are the old conditions from 40d that have been talked of. The items aren't specific like, you need 3 beds and 2 blocks and 5 tables. You just need 10+ unique jobs done, AFAIK, in a wide range of professions.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 12:56:54 pm »

But in 40d the conditions were just that you had to give away a certain amount of wealth, build a certain value of bridges etc. You didn't have to create anything did you?
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 01:07:55 pm »

You did, but most fortresses were so busy that no one noticed it and had it done ASAP.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 01:45:33 pm »

But in 40d the conditions were just that you had to give away a certain amount of wealth, build a certain value of bridges etc. You didn't have to create anything did you?
In 40d the only conditions you actually had to try for were roads and the offering.  You could hit your architecture value with a nice dining room, to say nothing of the rooms you would be preparing for the actual KING.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: [1] 2