Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Chasing Sliver: A community fortress of Her Lowness. Join the industry!  (Read 6368 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Can I have the Mason/Armorsmith? Name him BronzeBeard. He's obsessed with defense, both solid walls and solid armor.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Why do I always read "Armorsmith" as "Aerosmith" ?

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile

Because Arni is the only smith! And she's already obsessed with defense! (Against Werewolves...)
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

So, Bronzebeard can be similarly paranoid. In fact, he can even believe her stories of werewolves. Although he's actually more scared of stuff from underground. Like Elk Birds. You can never trust Elk Birds...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile

I would like Dwarf3 to be renamed Dr.Spark, his new job; SCIENCE!
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like Dwarf4, name him Valkan, and have him be taught by Himmel in how to fight (basically have him be a battle buddy, but he wields a sword/shield combo rather then a battle axe.)

Just have him start out curious and enthusiastic, and by the end he becomes an angry, arrogant and incredibly vain bastard.

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile

I'd like Dwarf4, name him Valkan, and have him be taught by Himmel in how to fight (basically have him be a battle buddy, but he wields a sword/shield combo rather then a battle axe.)

Just have him start out curious and enthusiastic, and by the end he becomes an angry, arrogant and incredibly vain bastard.
So at the beginning your my bitch? lol jk...

Let's work to keep these guys safe, also if possible make Canu's Dwarf a guy so we can make Warrior babies O.o

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mephan, Tallpanzer and Canu, you are now dwarfed! Welcome aboard.

TALLPANZER, just so you know, your dwarf has become a Skilled Wood Cutter in the mean time.

Canu, Dwarf 4 has since become the broker, the only skilled in Appraisal. I don't really want to lose him. I was about to expand the military, due to a very recent 21 dwarf migrant wave. There are a few worthwhile dwarves there, I'll see if I can pick one for you.

Also, apologize if I have neglected anyone. There has been a LOT of combat lately.

I will update dwarf thoughts and professions, and include the recent migrants.

I think this is a good time to catch on everyone else. It will give you a window into the fortresses' work.

However, I still haven't found ANY sliver barb. Uh... is there any way to temporarily mod something in so I get the seeds?

//////////////

Fortress Orbrushed, Malachite, 352

"You did what?!" yelled LordSlowpoke, red in the face.
Fourdots stared for a while, running her fingers through her hair. "The rock is cut, and it's too late." she replied.
"But... its BAUXITE! I expre... I mean Cogdi expressly forbidden Bauxite to be used in such frivolous ways!"
"It's for the good of the fortress. It's the only thing that would suit the project at lower levels, and you know it!" persisted Fourdots

Beautiful bauxite, reduced to nothing but a floodgate by the hands of this barbarian. A FLOODGATE! Such a waste.
Still, according to Cogdi's journals (which she didn't think nobody else looked at) the fortress still possessed 55 slabs of bauxite. LordSlowpoke will really have to keep an eye on it's use, and convince Cogdi to direct the miners at this most precious mineral.

//////

Snakebriggade wiped the sweat off his brow. The ground was usually warm around here, but this was almost too much - the rock itself radiated heat, and glowed faintly red. He could almost hear the magma swishing on the other side.
He turned around, and looked at his apprentices. One younger, one older, but they still wielded the pickaxe like a tool. He remembered being like them, before he left the Mountainhome. Before the Orbrushed, where he found himself in the rocks of this haunted place.

They found the whispers of the land disturbing. The same force that drove the wretched undead things onto his beloved Himmler and her creche's weapons talked through the rocks. It wasn't evil though, as it told stories of life, of the past. Snakebriggade has found peace with those whispers, as they accompanied him to the depths of the land, guided his arm to mold the rocks into art. And this inspiration has led him to see his fellow dwarves in a new light. Especially Himmler, his lover. A destructive maniac on the surface, Himmler bore a sense of duty that was greater than any other dwarf. And Snakebriggade could not miss that.

He came to see his apprentices taking a swing at the hot rock, which he interrupted immediately. The must not feel the earth like he did. They will need to learn what magma does, and what makes the rocks warm.

Perhaps putting them to digging the soft soil outside for the new moat will teach them some wisdom.

/////////////////

The pig tails swayed gently, their fluffy ends tickling DerMonster's nose. It was wonderful lying in the field like this, deep underground, away from all the worries of the upper world. Well of course, some unpleasant toads have crawled out of the lake again, but DerMonster didn't worry. They were friends of course, why else be in the cave? They came to entertain, and she squealed with delight when one of them shattered into small bits under Himmler's axe. It was like a growing flower. Very similar to what happened to the plants that she put into the millstone. But now she had someone else do it, a new dwarf she didn't quite know.

It was good though, as she could be down here, in the moist cave, taking care of the flowers and bushes.

Speaking of bushes, DerMonster had to get back to work. It was up to her, of course, to make sure those pig tails grew big, strong, and bushy so she could make the best clothes out of them. Without those clothes, more nasty beasts will come and Himmler will have to fight them again.

She pulled out her -Cave Crocodile Piccolo- and began a merry tune. It was the music that made the little fuzzy plants happy.

////////////

Fourdots liked walking down the cave. It gave her ideas. With the new mason Bronzebeard, it gave her free time. As she started sketching her ideas onto the rock of her humble bedroom, her imagination took land. It was no longer just a cave, but a wonderland. In her mind, she could already see towering black pillars, surrounded by a web of passages. She could picture goblins and other scum lost in hallways of her design, walking into one trap or another.

It was a matter of time. Cogdi has been getting serious about defense lately, and has started preparing a proper moat and wall outside. With a little persuasion, surely he would see that this fortress absolutely needed properly designed maze for the visitors. One raised beyond simple defense, but rather to art - beauty that would come from her mind's eye.

And this cave shall be her first playground.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:34:37 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

??? :D
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DerMonster, is that about the personality you had in mind? :D

/////////////////

Fortress Orbrushed, Limestone, 352

It took all of Snakebriggade's skill to do this. The rock was blistering hot, and even his +Steel Pick+ was starting to warm up. But who if not him, a Legendary +5 miner, could do this?
He carefully removed the last of the rock, and examined the thin wall that separated the gently boiling lava and the corridor that his apprentices have prepared. This was going to be the fort's main metal industry for some time, so it had to be done right.

And obviously, it was. This was really easy, actually - he just wanted to make sure it was right. Magma was not something to mess around with.
Then, he hit the weakened rock, which crumbled down and magma oozed through the cracks, quickly annihilating what was left of the barrier.

Now the real metalworks could begin.

///////////

Above, Bronzebeard was pacing around the newly constructed metalworks. All in all, twin smelters and twin forges, with iron anvils lovingly crafted by Arni's hands. Ever since he arrived, he has been kept very busy by the fortress' demands, but he certainly did his work well.

He has learned that the cause may well be Arni's apparent paranoia, as he is convinced that werewolves are out there, and they are out for him. Bronzebeard hasn't really heard of werewolves up until now, but they must be horrifying... if they are real.

A few steps away, Fourdots stood up from the smelter, and wiped his dusty hands on his (Pig Tail Fiber Trousers). The metalworks were complete, and Bronzebeard could hear the magma surging forward. Soon, he will begin to fortify the bodies of the defenders.

That was soon, though. Ever since his arrival, Bronzebeard has been aghast at the external "Defenses" - nothing but a short moat, so short that a healthy child could just over it. He has spent long hours at the communal room preparing his plans, and now it was complete. He just had to secure Snakebriggade's support, and broach the idea to Cogdi. It was much superior, and planned out in an easy to perform way. Surely it would be accepted.

First, they needed a bigger moat...

/////////////

Meanwhile, Himmler was strolling along the underground lake. She liked this route, as she could watch the enormous corpse of Oggez, which was by now little but bones, picked clean by whatever lived in those depths. It was hard to see, but quite enough to satisfy Himmler.

She crouched down, smiling as she recalled the beast's tenacity. It just didn't want to die.
As Himmler peered into the water, she found it muddier than usual. Warmer to the touch too, and had a rhytmic beat coming out of it. Curious though Himmler, must be a result of the magma works. It is good to hear the smiths practicing their craft, one of the things that made a fortress a home.
She leaned in closer, trying to see past the mud. That was when the cunning beast caught her, and pulled her underwater.

Himmler crashed through the lead floor bars, the abused metal groaning in protest. Then, the water hit her, and swallowed her whole.
She couldn't see it, but she could feel it. Whatever it was, it was enormous and distinctly hairy. It had two long, broad leathery appendages which ended in sharp talons, which were holding Himmler underwater. But Himmler was no simple dwarf - she was the Militia Commander of the Massive Coal, and the slayer of Oggez. This beast had nothing on her.

Himmler struck out blindly, feeling her -Steel Battle Axe- connecting solidly. The rhytmic sound increased in speed, and the leathery wraps around her tightened, attempting to crush her like a cat under a raising bridge. But their strength was evenly matched. As the beast tried to strangle her, Himmler started walking up the slope out of the water, towards the cave.

This was the longest, most stifling hour of Himmler's life. She would take small steps backwards, and continue hacking blindly. As her lungs threatened to give up, she felt the water break over her head. She could breathe! Yet not see. She was enveloped in leather and hair, and now the smell hit her - a sulfury, sickly-sweet smell, like an elf died in magma.

This continued for a long time. Himmler forced the beast out of the water, and onto the cave floor, where it's life was over. Desperate, the beast roared and revealed a mouth that was hiding under it's body - a ragged hole full of teeth. It belched out fire, and bit down on Himmler's left hand, swallowing it whole. The teeth ground over the wrought iron, and the beast shook, threatening to tear the hand away. Then, Himmler's -Steel Battle Axe- has found what passed for the creature's brain, and it collapsed to the ground. It's ululating finally stopped.

As Himmler withdrew, she could see what she fought - it was an enormous snail, covered in thick hair. The ground under it was scorched and broken, and the appendages that once held Himmler, now pathetic shreds, once must have been leathery wings.

Himmler somehow knew that this beast was Ngalak, and she has slain it.
She turned around to find several of the immigrants gaping in awe and horror.

"Call up the cook, and prepare the butchery. We will dine fine tonight." declared Himmler, as she started to clean herself off the ichor of the beast.

/////////////////////////

LordSlowpoke was against the wall, a creature twice his size in front of him. It was a great grizzly bear, it's maw housing enormous teeth. It was grinning at him.
"This," explained the immigrant animal trainer, "is a War Grizzly Bear. It will be accompanying you outside from now on."
"Is this really necessary?" inquired LordSlowpoke, trying to appear collected.
The trainer grinned "Oh absolutely. I heard about the war pooch that you traveled with once. Didn't stand a chance against those undead, did it? Well, my good friend and our own broker has secured those from the elves, and I took to great pains to train it. Trust me, you'll appreciate it once you're out there again."

This was going to be LordSlowpoke's most difficult collecting journey yet, she reflected, as she left the room defeated - the huge bear following her, sniffling thunderously.

///////////////////////

"You may well make better breastplates than me, Bronzebeard, but MY weapons are unstoppable!" exclaimed Arni, incensed by the elven beer.
Bronzebeard frowned. "Absolutely not. I am the expert on defensive techniques, and with our new forges, nothing save the gods themselves could break through what I make!"
That made Arni smirk, and her eyes darken "Then I will be a god, Bronzebeard, because I will show you what those hands can do. I made Himmler's axe, and now I will craft the greatest axe that the Calm Orbs have ever seen. Mark my words, next time you see me, you will spare me your insolence and ignorance!"

Arni shoved Bronzebeard out of her way, and proceeded to unceremoniously push all others out of her way as she left the well room.

"Stupid fool, blathers like elves go on about trees. He may know defense, but weapons are weapons. Now let me see, I'll start with this iron..."
Her muttering darkened, as she forgot everything. Others called it a fey mood, but to Arni, this was what she has always lived for.
The greatest axe dwarfkind has ever seen. It shall be, of course, named after it's maker.

So began the construction of Arni Alathrash, the legendary Iron Battle Axe.

////

It's late now, time to sleep. I will continue the story tomorrow, and update the dwarves!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

Good to know that my character has a warrior to love. Haha. Himmler is a great warrior.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

What you have is just fine, but when talking to other dwarves, she must be goddamn weird. and talk extensively about pseudo-science she has absolutely no business knowing about.

she firmly believes that the sun is a giant ball of fire around which we spin. Ridiculous.
made me laugh back on page one.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This amount of bauxite is barely acceptable.
We must dig MOAR, in the name of Litast. Also, between collecting herbs and pestering Cogdi, I'll start learning masonry... on the less worthy stones, of course.

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bauxite floodgates! So that the maze can occasionally be flooded with Magma ...

And artistic mazes, expanding over the entire first cavern level, then slowing rising above and sinking below, like magma flowing through rock, a system of tunnels, passageways, and hidden rooms which no invader could ever escape - filled with pressure plates, and traps, and passageways which change their form based on the movement of intruders, and of the dwarfs who walk through it - for how else to create an ever-changing maze than to make it respond to the actions of its keepers?

Columns of hardened obsidian rising from the floor and falling from the ceiling, the passageways of the maze winding around them ...

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile

Is anyone else really confused about the exchanging of Himmel and Himmler?

Other than that fucking awesome...

I finally have a chance to carry on the family name.... MUAHAHAHA!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4