Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Chasing Sliver: A community fortress of Her Lowness. Join the industry!  (Read 6369 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last Sliver Barb fortress was a fiasco. My setup was boring, the place had no sliver barbs. Disappointing.
As such, I decided to make a new one - better, stronger, faster, evil-er, and sliver-er.

Ïssunnitom, The Everlasting Planet
Spoiler: Dwarf Fortress Tile (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Graphic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Civilizations Map (click to show/hide)

The circled area is where the Fortress resides. The Lustful Steppes, a Haunted grassland.

Information:
Spoiler: Basic World Info (click to show/hide)

A bit about the civilization and their deities...

The idea is that sliver barb is a plant that you can never trade for, and only exists rarely in evil areas. As such, NOBODY has it. Neither have I, ever, in any of my fortresses.
Therefore, the brave dwarves will settle down in a dangerous place, and establish a working clothing industry with black sliver barb dye clothing.

Now, there's a twist - Michelle, an important woman in my life, will be acting as the civilization's queen! She knows a bit about Dwarf Fortress, but never played it. I will give her a noble's right to "mandate" anything in the fortress - from goods to be "offered" back to the civilization, to specific design orders. It shall be fun, as she is a cruel ruler.

As such, welcome and feel free to claim dwarves! Note that I changed my style for, what I believe is, the better. This will be an episodic story of the fortress, seeing events through the eyes of those involved.

Here are the dwarves!
Founders
Spoiler: Arni (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: DerMonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: LordSlowpoke (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Himmel (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cogdi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Snakebriggade (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fourdots (click to show/hide)

First Migrant Wave
Spoiler: Dwarf3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dwarf4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dwarf5 - Bone Carver (click to show/hide)

Second Migrant Wave
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:15:46 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing Sliver: Community game in the making - Queen included
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 10:28:52 pm »

The 31.01 site for DFM3 has sliver barbs; I was growing and processing them. I'm not sure what to look for on the embark map, though. It was an evil location where water did not freeze -- undead and glumprong were plentiful. It was not, however, hot enough for dwarves to melt in the rain. Magmawiki says [Not freezing (Dry) (Evil)], so maybe not a swamp. Hope this helps you find a suitable site.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:15:45 pm »

The DRY tag only affects whether it will be found within 2 tiles of a brook/river/murky pool.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 09:00:13 am »

Sounds Awesome....

I'll join

Name: Himmler  EDIT: or Johann if Himmler is to offensive

Profession: Proficient Axedwarf, 3 points into armor and 2 into Shield 

Profession name: Curator of Pain (I wanna be the leader of the Militia, military what ever its called)

Good luck

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:08:48 am »

I'll stick with yer community game. Again being the smith who's afraid of werewolfs and other evil creatures and forging yer weapons ;D
Military and Militia. It's horrible

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 02:31:05 pm »

Take my old guy and stick him somewhere.
Forbid all bauxite and request it from caravans. Let me know after you have 2000 bricks of it.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 07:37:16 pm »

Ill take a Dwarf!
Weaver/Clothes maker/Dyer/Grower.
Two in each but four in grower.
You DO have a river, Right?

Head Clothier, Reports directly to the boss, IS completely bat shit insane.

Or is a Coud Cuckoo lander.

HILARITY IS MAH BUSINESS AND BUSINESS IS GOOOOOD!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 01:14:56 am »

I'll take one.

Name: Cognate McAwsomeDrawBridge
Prof: Head of secret police (or if your not into that awsome stuff, sherif)
Bio: Fear of all things noble or evil, likes to keep things "under control"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:19:53 am by nuker w »

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 12:28:13 am »

I'll take a dwarf, if there are any left.

Ellipsis, an overly (sometimes creepily) friendly miner/engraver/mason/mechanic/architect (two in each) who enjoys designing mazes and well shafts. Or building things around large, open-air shafts, perhaps with columns hanging from the ceiling.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 04:29:31 am »

Grrrr, had the entire thing typed up and it just disappeared.
Anyways, we’re off! Spent an hour looking for a good spot, dwarfed everyone! Will update original post soon with embark info and dwarf profiles.
LordSlowpoke, against all odds there’s a dwarf who likes bauxite! Also Nuker W, there isn’t a dwarf for you just yet. I want to have a dedicated sheriff for ya, not a mason/miner. Migrants it is!
EDIT: The miner is fairly close. I can't promise he'll become the OFFICIAL sheriff, but that doesn't prevent him from being the "Secret Police". Would you prefer that?
Spoiler: Embark Info (click to show/hide)

///////////////////////
Spoiler: Strike the Earth! (click to show/hide)

Massive Coal of Orbrushed journal, 9th of Granite 351

This must be how humans make their towns. Show up in the middle of Aned-knows-where, and say Ho! This is a town now! We shall live aboveground and have sun and grass! Disgusting.

We have indeed arrived recently, and I just got around to writing this. This place is big, flat, and green. Our miner had to dig for quite some time before he struck good, honest rock.

As we strike the earth, we begin a new chapter in the history of Calm Orbs. We, the Massive Coal, are the first dwarves to live in the glorious-to-be Orbrushed! It sounds really good when said out loud.

Who am I kidding? Her Lowness got a crazy idea in her exalted skull, and “hand-picked skilled and able dwarves best suited to the mission”. What I get to deal with is a psychopath whose favorite pastime is messily dissecting critters – she is Himmel the ‘Curator of Pain’ (her words) our “guard and there to start the militia from the ground up”. She wants a steel axe, and I really don’t like the glint in her eye when she looks at me.

Then, there is the “Professional Dyer and Clothier” – who spent the ENTIRE trip explaining to me all the details of his plans for the clothing, dying and EVERYTHING industry. She also has a very uhm, interesting theory about the world, and evil spirits, and magical rays from the sky (she firmly believes that the sun is a giant ball of fire around which we spin. Ridiculous.) that somehow create evil places, which the sliver barb needs. Oh, and she told me about why they grow in such places, but I honestly don’t remember… probably better for my sanity.

The others are a bit better. One seems to have a real fondness for bauxite – LordSlowpoke provided our entire supply of stone from “personal stocks” – unloaded a huge bag of bauxite on the cart, and babied it the entire way like a mother purring maggot.  She’s our plant expert, and is quite okay as long as her bauxite is okay. Arni is also decent, a metalworker of some renown with incredible expertise on avoiding werewolves. According to her, we evaded many werewolf ambushes. I didn’t even know what those things are, but apparently they are giant, horrible twisted wolf creatures that stalk the dark and hunt dwarves. She can apparently track them easily, and knows all about evading them. Strange, but I guess it must have saved us! We also have a miner and a mason, but they are just normal dwarves. What a relief.
The ladies of this trip are quite something, really.
(We have 1 male and 6 females!)

But eh, we’re down to rock now. DerMonster is proving her “expertise” by weaving some cloth from the spider thread we brought along. So what if she calls them pretty and organizes them neatly. It surely helps… somehow. And, it keeps her from nagging me.
I just wish I had an office to write this, as this sand gets EVERYWHERE. Cleaning my (Giant Cave Spider Socks) is not fun in this outdoors.
The sun annoys me. I can't wai...

What's this?

I really wish that the miner was quieter in his yelling of his discovery. Now I'm going to have to go and pacify LordSlowpoke, who is jumping up and down in joy.
Thank god I'm a Novice Pacifier...
/////

And then, I was interrupted by dinner and a movie. More tomorrow!
Also, Just saw your post Fourdots, I'll see if my miner fits the bill in the morning!
EDIT: The mason is a 5 mason, 3 Architect, 2 Carpenter. Would that work, or would you prefer to wait till the first immigrant wave?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:49:21 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 09:12:04 am »

I claim the unclaimed miner. Name him Snakebriggade.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:20:18 am by Dbuhos »

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 11:50:25 am »

Just to say, when danger calls himmler will always put the sake of the community above the sake of hi
self (you could have "fun" with that). Let my chick stay really close to a guy in the coming migrant wave. I want little baby minions

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 04:10:38 pm »

Sure, I'll take the Mason! Easier to build columns than to mine them, after all.

Obelisks! Surrounded by sprawling stone and wood mazes, towering up into the sky.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 08:05:28 pm »

Dwarfed!
////////////

Massive Coal of Orbrushed journal, 2nd of Hematite 351

The spring is over, and we can all breathe easy. Not because summer is in full fire now, but because there is true, honest stone over our heads.
I had an office carved out for myself, so I can take stock of what we have. Precious little, really, but enough for a start.

I took inventory of our workers first. The Miner introduced himself properly - he is Snakebriggade, and he appeared as happy as me to be surrounded by walls on all sides. Our production engineer dwarf, is Fourdots. She made this very table I'm writing on, but I can't help but notice some strange scratchings on the -Claystone Table-, looking like a grand obelisk surrounded by a forest. Strange, but I guess she must be very creative. When I asked her about it, she put an arm around me uncomfortably, and went on lenghts about marvelous dwarven mazes to honour Stibmer and all. She kept calling me Sackrenown, my dwarven last name, which is just... uncomfortable. And just recently, she has shown up with a barrel of Longland Beer, fully expecting me to Attend Party right here. She is nice, though.

Himmler surprised me, as she was very official during the brief post-mining interviews I conducted. She, with a steely look of duty and dwarfship in her eyes, proclaimed everlasting dedication to the utter protection of the community of Massive Coal, may her enemies die before her. She may be a bit off, but it brought a tear to my eye. You just don't see enough dedication around.

I hope she is satisfied with my orders - I handed her a -steel battle axe-, and requested surrounding trees cleared. They block the view, and the dead trees... really creep me out. She is no woodcutter, of course, but now the strange twigs can be made into comfortable beds by Fourdots. She's a darling really, the way she churns out furniture and equipment.

//
Maybe I should rename LordSlowpoke to LadySlowpoke?
//

LordSlowpoke has been combing the landscape for the fabled Sliver Thorn. She found none yet, but she did bring back samples of local fauna - "Strawberries" and "Longland Grass" she calls them. I made an attempt at making a drink out of them, and came out with something that passes for liquor. Can't wait for fresher Dwarven Ale.

Overall, the setup is progressing admirably. LordSlowpoke talked of strange, dragging marks in the ground that look much like groundhogs but... odd. Arni had a look, and deduced that those are baby werewolf tracks. She really does know much about them. They must be terrifying, as she locked herself up in her new bedroom, and kept gnawing on a piece of galena before I talked her back into her forge.

Next project - food!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 08:18:43 pm »

Massive Coal of Orbrushed journal, 8th of Hematite 351

I was woken up by a howling from outside. Curious, I peeked out to see a horrifying spectacle!
One of our stray dogs has apparently sniffed out something... hideous. The poor pooch must have thought it a buried bone, but it found a... it looked like pathetic skeletal remains of a groundhog, but animated strangely and stiffly, growling horribly and launching itself over and over again at the poor dog.

I won't be embarrased to admit I screamed at this point, and ran screaming inside. I ran straight into Himmler, who had her -Steel Battle Axe- grasped firmly in both hands, charging past me. She picked me up, and ran out. I'm scared for her, so I came here to write. The office calms my nerves.

Massive Coal of Orbrushed journal, 10th of Hematite 351

The events apparently took a turn for the worst, and we have Himmler to thank for her timely intervention. While I calmed my nerves, two more of the monstrosities crawled out of the ground and latched on the poor pooch. She's pretty badly bruised, but I think she'll be fine.
The skeletal groundhogs, as I properly identified them, were not nearly as well off. Himmler has successfuly spread their festering bones all over the place. Apparently, LordSlowpoke also panicked and ran outside, and was being chased by one. Himmler and our guard dog caught up to it, and it was destroyed as well.

Another one ambushed a cat, whom Himmler also heroically rescued. I guess her reputation wasn't just talk!

This may be more dangerous than I expected. I'm not used to dead things trying to kill me. Ugh. I could use some of that Longland Beer now.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:46:01 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4