Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: brooks and walls (40d)  (Read 775 times)

Old Skool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
brooks and walls (40d)
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:12:56 am »

I know that my dwarfs can build a wall over a brook, but does it actually function as a wall afterward? By functioning as a wall afterward, I mean, does it keep out goblins and other land creatures? will monsters be able to travel along the brook and swim under the wall? I assume fish and other aquatic creatures will not be barred by this wall. Could I build grates (somehow) across the brook (at Z-1 level) where the water is 7 depth?

Thanks for any answers!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: brooks and walls (40d)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:49:39 am »

In my experience, it did function as a wall.

Also, no aquatic creatures should come capable of piercing the brook's surface and swimming into your fort.

I wouldn't bother with the grates.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:53:02 am »

Darkflagrance I think he means the other way round to your logic. He hasnt dammed the wall, only built a wall over a brook like this:

[====]
X7777X
XXXXX

Any creature who cannot swim will treat it as a normal wall, aquatics will still swim under.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:57:25 am »

Darkflagrance I think he means the other way round to your logic. He hasnt dammed the wall, only built a wall over a brook like this:

[====]
X7777X
XXXXX

Any creature who cannot swim will treat it as a normal wall, aquatics will still swim under.
And of course the magic forcefield that covers the top of the brook is impenetrable.

Old Skool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 01:23:07 pm »

thanks, that is exactly what I have in mind Xzalander -- It will be nice to have a fresh water and fishing source all nice and walled in. So far I have not noticed any aquatic nasties, but who knows I might find some underground water.