Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wait. Why is that red? (trade screen)  (Read 1715 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Wait. Why is that red? (trade screen)
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:06:13 am »

Red Highlited Items in the Trade screen? It's a barrel of Golden Salve. I know the purpose of most of the markers (produced ourselves vs. imported), so what is this one? Did I steal it, and they know? (entirely likely)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wait. Why is that red? (trade screen)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:11:28 am »

I'm fairly sure the red items are indeed ones that you have stolen/seized.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:11:54 am »

ninja'd :O

anything seized cannot be traded.
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 04:30:19 am »

But if you decorate a stolen item (by encrusting with gems or sewing an image onto it), it counts as produced in your fort again. Like Nike shoes "made in the US", because the logo was added there, even if the shoe was made in china ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 04:37:09 am »

I do not think I can re-decorate "Golden Salve". At least Now I Know.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 04:44:46 am »

As it is stored in a barrel, you could try decorating the barrel. I'm not sure about that, but it's worth a try.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:45:49 am »

But if you decorate a stolen item (by encrusting with gems or sewing an image onto it), it counts as produced in your fort again. Like Nike shoes "made in the US", because the logo was added there, even if the shoe was made in china ;)

wow didn't know about the decoration. is that a bug or a feature?  :o
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 04:47:30 am »

Feature. It helps remove the blood Elves were always complaining about, too. (do they still do that?)
[/quote]

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 05:31:11 am »

Feature. It helps remove the blood Elves were always complaining about, too. (do they still do that?)

unknown. i think they still complain about leather. but i've traded lots in vanilla and they were fine with it :/

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 06:02:46 am »

I thought, elves were changed to only complain about wood since 40d  :o

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 06:07:26 am »

perhaps. I haven't checked.
I do know that something was making them consistently value certain decorated objects at something like half their actual value. Perhaps that's replaced the flat refusal.
[/quote]

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 06:10:22 am »

perhaps. I haven't checked.
I do know that something was making them consistently value certain decorated objects at something like half their actual value. Perhaps that's replaced the flat refusal.

I think the latter can be chalked up to the typically fluctuating perceived value of goods, along with the varying skill of the dwarven broker doing the trading.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 06:13:49 am »

You mean Elves ignoring spike decorations when valuing trade goods?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 07:12:21 am »

Hi!

Yes, elves will ignore nearly the entire value value of spike decorations. And humans and dwarves actually have certain image decorations they will consider more valuable. You can actually check all these in the raws in the latest version.

Unfortunately, the value of imagery does not work with statues, which I have filed as a bug report (after all, why would humans pay more for the item decorated with the image of a lizard, but an unchanged price for a statue of a lizard?).

Deathworks

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 10:08:31 am »

Actually, you can NOT remove the red by decorating. Found that out he hard way in a recent fort. It removes the (imported) parenthesis, but the item is still flagged as stolen. The only two ways to trade a stolen item that I've found are to either trade a whole bin with the item inside (obviously impossible in your case) or to offer a close trade and hope that they request it in a counteroffer.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: [1] 2