Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Why exactly do we hate the elves so much?  (Read 6107 times)

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why exactly do we hate the elves so much?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 06:01:39 am »

The dwarves started it, by killing an elven king for his treasure (at least, that's how it happened in Tolkien's books).

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 06:05:10 am »

The elves started it, by eating the dwarves. No, seriously. They hunted them like animals.

This is in the same book you're citing, incidentally. (The Silmarillion).
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 06:13:54 am »

The elves started it, by eating the dwarves. No, seriously. They hunted them like animals.

They hunted and killed the petty dwarves (but not even the other dwarves liked them), but it doesn't say anything about eating them...?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 06:20:45 am »

They hunted and killed the petty dwarves (but not even the other dwarves liked them), but it doesn't say anything about eating them...?

WAIT

You're right, and also the petty dwarves are closer to gnomes.

My bad.

Yeah, the dwarves totally started it.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 06:21:18 am »

Magma.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 07:07:16 am »

the serious reason is that pre 31.x elves brought nothing of worth other than cloth unless you almost got them to declare war. While this is useful for players without a working cloth trade yet, it was useless if you had one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 07:48:19 am »

The reason?

I've been playing Arcanum too much, so it's because Dwarfs have a +5% Technological Aptitude while Elves have +5% Magickal Aptitude.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Graygan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 08:25:25 am »

We dwarven types hate the Elves because they're closely allied with one of the most evil, dangerous, horrid, hateful, spiteful, cruel, sneaky, and devious species in all of creation.

I will let the famous dwarf, Durkon, explain just how horrible these creatures are...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0150.html

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 08:39:31 am »

the serious reason is that pre 31.x elves brought nothing of worth other than cloth unless you almost got them to declare war. While this is useful for players without a working cloth trade yet, it was useless if you had one.
Wait, they brought more useful things if you got them close to war?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 08:45:59 am »

Not exactly. The more profit you gave them, the more cloth they would bring. So if you robbed them from everything they had on a regular basis, they were more prone to bring along exotic animals. Which are always awesome.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 11:57:41 am »

Those exotic animals were the only thing stopping me from slaughtering every elf that visits my fortress. I think I'll start an elf kill counter!

That'll teach 'em for not bringing me elephants and giant eagles.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 12:13:54 pm »

Hi!

Actually, I think it is a mixture of trying to be in the in-crowd by mimicking what others say and some myths/misconceptions.

For instance, people are still bringing about the myth about the more you trade with them, the more cloth you get before 31. That is definitely not true. I have always traded with them as long as I played my fortresses, and in various 3D versions, I got bears, giant eagles, and other interesting animals on a regular basis.

And I never stole from the elves, and tried to make my trade depot attacker safe (having no military, I had to rely on traps and so on, so it was not always possible).

Deathworks

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 03:27:35 pm »

Not exactly. The more profit you gave them, the more cloth they would bring. So if you robbed them from everything they had on a regular basis, they were more prone to bring along exotic animals. Which are always awesome.
It's actually that they bring cloth in such huge bundles that in most cases the cloth is more expensive then that giant eagle you've been waiting for. So it pays to piss them off and make them bring the cheap goods.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 03:32:24 pm »

The dwarves started it, by killing an elven king for his treasure (at least, that's how it happened in Tolkien's books).

Killed him only after the king insulted them and called them 'stunted ones'. Before that they were halfway polite about not wanting to give back their necklace.

Frankly Thingol was totally walking into that one and should never have said, "Hey you twelve dwarves, combine the greatest Elven gem with the greatest Dwarven jewelry and I'll pay you in non-priceless coinage when I go into your workshop unarmed and alone a month later." He should have just hired one alcoholic dwarf, paid him in a lifetime pension with free unlimited wine, and picked up the necklace while the dwarf was in a alcoholic haze. That would have prevented so many problems.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4