Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110581 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #990 on: August 08, 2010, 09:09:55 pm »

Nobody is slamming them for doing something that hadn't been done before, what people were slamming was the near total opaqueity and the unwillingness of BP to be transparent about the whole thing. Even then, they had problems with transparency.

Just about everybody understood that they hadn't done this kind of thing (fixing a well in such deep waters) before, combined with the difficulty of using ROVs.

I am NOT taking BPs side, I'm just correcting a fact.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 08, 2010, 09:21:46 pm »

I see your point.  I agree to a certain level, but, BP (nor anyone else) had an apparatus in place to deal with this.  Not the equipment, manpower, resources, logictics, information management, international legal necesities, etc......  Its not like BP had 100k poeple just sitting around trained up waiting for this to happen.  I think we are spoiled by an immedaite information age.  I bet NO one at BP ever had a full handle on the whle thing.  It was too big too fast.  Trying to keep up with containment and also trying to keep 1000's of local/state/national reporters/regulators/politicians/bloggers happy just wasnt going to succeed.  Given that situation, I would rather they worked on the containtment.

Now, I know that when they started keeping reporters away was a little iffy (technical term).  It made me jsut as unhappy as everyone else, but I can also imaging that there were wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many reporters down there trying to get a story and in the end just generally getting in the way.  In this age where any moron with a blog is a reporter, I can imaging BP and the coast guard had there hands full of poeple screaming "the people have a right to know!". 

I had to remember that cops keep reporters away from crime scense also until its all delt with.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 09, 2010, 12:03:57 am »

EXACTLY! When i saw that backwards text, i was like "will you fucking stop that?" I didn't post that at the time, but whatever. Seriously, RAM, its extremely annoying and it stopped being funny a long time ago.

I'm systematically adding people with backwards writing to the ignore list because it makes my eyes hurt.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 09, 2010, 12:11:29 pm »

I got bored and put him on the ignore list a while ago.

Hey, where do I do that?

It would be bad enough if he were good at it, but as it is he's doubly annoying.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 09, 2010, 01:41:07 pm »

Profile>Modify Profile>Buddy/Ignore list. This might be the first forum I've seen with an ignore list. (it's convenient for times like that)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 09, 2010, 01:51:49 pm »

Had them on a few forums. Have never really resorted to one though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 10, 2010, 06:53:00 pm »

That's really excellent. Can he see my posts? Can he send me private messages?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 10, 2010, 08:19:08 pm »

I dunno about the former, but you can block PMs as well.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 10, 2010, 11:15:53 pm »

I guess this is the official "how to add people to ignore lists" thread now?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #999 on: August 11, 2010, 02:39:57 am »

I guess this is the official "how to add people to ignore lists" thread now?

We'll be back on topic if we add BP to the ignore list.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: August 11, 2010, 02:43:14 am »

Hey, if you add someone to your ignore list, will their threads and posts still show up on your side? If so, we could just add the oil spill to our collective ignore list and it'll all disappear!

About half of America has done this

United Forenia Forever!

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: August 11, 2010, 05:20:33 am »

Hey, if you add someone to your ignore list, will their threads and posts still show up on your side? If so, we could just add the oil spill to our collective ignore list and it'll all disappear!

Damn that other half of America! If only they'd ignore the problem we wouldn't have a problem at all!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1002 on: August 11, 2010, 05:38:27 am »

Damn that other half of America! If only they'd ignore the problem we wouldn't have a problem at all!
Ignorance is strength bliss!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 11, 2010, 09:30:22 am »

We just have to have Obama have a press conferance, and when asked about the spill, he will respond: "Ah, yes, the 'Oil Spill'. A giant ecological disaster caused by the ignorance of a oil corporation. We have dismissed that claim."

And then the oil spill shall fade from existance.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 11, 2010, 05:41:44 pm »

We just have to have Obama have a press conferance, and when asked about the spill, he will respond: "Ah, yes, the 'Oil Spill'. A giant ecological disaster caused by the ignorance of a oil corporation. We have dismissed that claim."

And then the oil spill shall fade from existance.

Just like the Weapons of Mass Destruction! Of course! Someone, quick, get the White House on the line! Tell them Bay12 has devised a fool-proof plan to eradicate the oil spill, and all we need is a camera, a satellite, and the President!

Wait, that sounds an awful lot like a half-baked scheme for kidnapping...
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 79