Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Metorites during worldgen.  (Read 5871 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Metorites during worldgen.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:08 pm »

Only in the Dwarf Fortress forum could a discussion on meteors focus more on the "w00t free iron!" part and not on the "omg sweeeet fireballs from the sky!" part :P :D.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »

If volcanoes can cause Fortress death right after embark (and we all know that it can...) then so should meteors, occasionally.

Losing Reclaiming is Fun!!!
For they would be your masters.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 08:25:06 pm »

I've loved this idea since it appeared in some other thread. of course I also loved the suggestion that they could have monsters appear near them.

Having one fall in-game would be awesome, but the maximum size and radius of the damage should be limited by embark size so that the game doesn't have to deal with modifying the surroundings outside your fortress/you don't have to deal with "oh look, the usually round crater stops abruptly at the edge of this abandoned fortress my adventurer is in."

It would also be sweet if the massive ones had cool effects beyond the crater/subsequent fun, even off map. "Urist mcAstrologist has seen a massive fireball erupt far to the east" "a wall of fire streaks across the Eastern lands toward your fortress!" *wall of super-magma-temperature flames that get into every exposed area passes* "horrible beasts have arrived from the East!" (several months later)

all in good time...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »

It would also be sweet if the massive ones had cool effects beyond the crater/subsequent fun, even off map. "Urist mcAstrologist has seen a massive fireball erupt far to the east" "a wall of fire streaks across the Eastern lands toward your fortress!" *wall of super-magma-temperature flames that get into every exposed area passes* "horrible beasts have arrived from the East!" (several months later)

Heh, if you want to talk about massive effects from meteorites hitting: Religions should occasionally spring up after a particularly brilliant meteorite.

thepet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 08:51:24 pm »

Heh, if you want to talk about massive effects from meteorites hitting: Religions should occasionally spring up after a particularly brilliant meteorite.

Haha...

Urist McDwarf develops an aversion to Fishing because he attributes fishing to ARMOK'S FIERY WRAITH FROM ABOVE

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 09:28:20 pm »

Happens in every religion, really: The Vikings had the Asgard and the Jotun. DF has Armok and the carp.

thepet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 09:35:18 pm »

Happens in every religion, really: The Vikings had the Asgard and the Jotun. DF has Armok and the carp.

Am I the only one who now wants to see a Jotun vs a Carp in the battle arena?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 09:54:30 pm »

I don't think I would, just because it would be so one-sided, in favor of the carp.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 01:20:22 am »

The Wonderment mod from 40d had already modded in "Meteoric Iron"

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=40229.0

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

thepet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 08:42:08 am »

The Wonderment mod from 40d had already modded in "Meteoric Iron"

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=40229.0

Nice, so it does.  It seems that it created weapons/armor just below steel, is pretty rare, and is well received by the people who play the mod.  Flipping through the posts there, people are saying that it was a nice early metal to start out with if you can, before you get your steel mill cranking.

So it seems an idea of meteoric iron that is better than normal iron could really be handy.

Only thing it's missing is the DOOOOOOM of Armok's fiery wraith from above during worldgen/possibly in game.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 09:17:36 am »

see also breccia for meteorite effects.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 09:34:43 am »

I'd suggest that meteoric iron should be be found in relatively rare clusters of gem-like size, in surface soils or very rarely as significant layer of low-density speckling across an area (1x1 base units?) accompanying a landscape depression of a degree inversely related to length of time between worldgen event and the fortress/adventure start date.

Also, this also made me think of fulgurites.  Not seen them mentioned, anywhere, but I haven't encyclopaedically read the forums I'm willing I bet they have. :)

[edited: because my sentences just wandered off and didn't go the way it started.  I didn't even close the original opening paranthesis!]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:54:20 am by Starver »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 09:39:03 am »

I like this idea.

ACANTHUS LENDS HIS SUPPORT
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 12:13:24 pm »

What if meteors would create a new type of regional crater tile you could settle on, it would have all the minerals exposed and cave creatures would be wandering outside of their caverns, new type of sinister tile awesomness.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 12:17:11 pm »

what if meteors had forgotten (alien) beasts inside them?
I think caves are best left to kobolds.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5