Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grinding in MMORPGs  (Read 2528 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Grinding in MMORPGs
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:22:25 pm »

Here's what I said in a different forum:
"Every MMO has it, every RPG thrives on it. But it gets utterly boring... for me anyway o_O

Ragnarok Online grinding used to be fun, but it bugs me now. For a lvl 94 transcendant, you have to spend probably a month of large group partying to reach 99, and you don't get a whole lot of stat increases from it, so the grinding of RO just isn't fun anymore.
WoW quest grinding was reasonably fun, at least in the Outlands I could just go to another area if I got tired of a certain one. But now I'm lvl 70 (No Lich King expansion for me) and now I have to honor grind and gold grind, and it's gotten mostly boring again.
There's another MMO I can't remember that I actually enjoyed the quest grinding and monster grinding. One of the classes was called a Force Shielder, I remember that. The grind got boring though when the quests started requiring stuff like killing 99 Wriggleleaves (pretty difficult to kill monsters, actually).

So how exactly does a game keep grinding from getting boring?"

So yeah, grinding in itself is boring.  But it seems to be an essential part of MMOs in order to create time sinks.  Very annoying, but could it be possible to avoid it?  Or make it more fun?  I'm sure other people have done the MMO thing around here, so I'm curious if anyone has enjoyed the grinding of certain games.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grinding in MMORPGs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:24:34 pm »

I think I understand why people do put up with grinding but I don't think I'll ever really get the mindset of someone who honestly enjoys it. I hate it with a passion, personally and it's why I never stick with any MORPGs very long

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:22:40 pm »

Very annoying, but could it be possible to avoid it?

Start every player with max. level with the most powerful items possible. Have the MMORPG be a PvP contest so that there is still some conflict for that would encourage the players to stay.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 10:36:22 pm »

I recently started playing a "new" mmo called Aika Online, thus far I haven't had to worry about grinding and it looks like it has a robust pvp system. Regardless I hate to grind, though I guess some quests seem like grinding in most mmos...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:40:22 pm »

Very annoying, but could it be possible to avoid it?

Start every player with max. level with the most powerful items possible. Have the MMORPG be a PvP contest so that there is still some conflict for that would encourage the players to stay.

Basically be Guild Wars.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:11:14 am »

Yes to the Guild Wars, but even they fell victim to the grind in their Eye of the North.

Look at Skinner's Box. By lvl 70, you don't have to provide an enjoyable experience anymore, the players still feel compelled to continue even if they don't like it. If you aren't playing with people for the sake of interacting with people on the game, it may be time to find another game.

Also, FlyFF is even more of a grind game for profit than WoW
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:13:41 am »

The ultimate game for grinders is Maplestory. AND it's free!

In fact, the game has no system OTHER than grinding. Yaaay!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:16:39 am »

Fun and exciting minigames.
-Eliminate the grind in grinding.
Extensive rewards system.
-Gone are the days when the only reward is a higher level, now you actually get to use that book-binding skill for something.
Massive quest rewards.
-If you can handle the questing (actual quests, mind you, not some lame "kill 3 rats" bullshit), you can save hours of tiring work.

Runescape tried this and failed.
If done right though, I feel these are the best ways to handle grinding.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 12:19:23 am »

Runescape tried this and failed.
If done right though, I feel these are the best ways to handle grinding.

Actually, I believe Runescape to be incredibly succesful, as theirs is undeniably a magnificently large MMO. It's only problem (and its greatest flaw) is the fact that you are severely limited by their outdated controls and graphics.

If they made Runescape into a first person MMO with graphics better than WoW, yet kept the extensive and rewarding skill system, I would never see the sun again. :p

oh and they have to get rid of losing all your items on death :<

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 12:22:47 am »

Oh, Runescape was never meant to be a graphically intense game. I know it started as a MUD or something, but I loved it when it was 2D. (God those were horrible times)

But then I want outside, and discovered women. The best way to fight grind is to just walk away. Or get a job, that should be enough grind to fill your quota
While talking to AJ:

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 12:31:04 am »

I once looked into mmo's,for info on them,seeing as they come up frequently on the internet,and to see if they might be worth the time spent in them.

I initially saw why they could be popular,they have,to me,a kind of stranger in a strange land,future/fantasy feel.The setting is fantasy but everyone playing is,obviously, modern day people.I like the whole medieval culture,and that appealed to me as well.

But i don't understand where anyone,i mean anyone gets the time to play them.I checked out Dungeons and dragons online for a bit there,and i occasionally log on once a week to chat or something,But even between jobs as i am,i just can't find much time without sacrificing other,to me important parts of life.

edit:looking at what i do daily,i guess i can see where some people get the time,and obviously kids have the time as well.But still,the time invested is big.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 12:33:04 am »

Or get a job, that should be enough grind to fill your quota

Oh god, the truth in this statement made me want to cry.

Yeah, I don't play games that require grinding because I don't have time to grind. I try to spend my gaming hours on games that are consistently rewarding.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 12:49:23 am »

A dumbbell or whatever they called helped transition my grind mentality.

Grind, welcome to lifting 10 pounds
Grind, you are now level 15
You have gained points in charisma, strengh, dexterity, and attractiveness
While talking to AJ:

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 02:03:21 am »

A dumbbell or whatever they called helped transition my grind mentality.

Grind, welcome to lifting 10 pounds
Grind, you are now level 15
You have gained points in charisma, strengh, dexterity, and attractiveness(depends on who you ask)
strong arms does not a nimble fingered, silver tongued bastard make.

Personally, grind has this terrible effect making me feel guilty. I realize theres so much more I could be doing then just killing bunnies.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 02:07:29 am »

Hearing people describe grinding makes me think I ought to hate it.

But sitting in front of my computer for hours watching my lightning bolts frying monkeys and tons of loot go flying all over the computer screen while my exp bar increases gives me a feeling of brutal satisfaction.

It helps to enjoy killing things over and over and imagining their suffering, I guess.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: [1] 2