Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Life advice Primer. Read this before posting a new thread.  (Read 7543 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Ok since it seems like a lot of threads on here are very similar I'm just going to list some of the more common problems that pop up on here and their solutions. If your problem falls under one of these, do us all a favor and don't post.

I'm in middle/high school and I'm depressed.
We all were, it's natural. Just try to relax and not let the pressure of the social situations get to you. I know it may seem like that first break up/failed test/embarrassing moment is the end of the world but trust me, its not. Roll with the punches and learn never to take anything too seriously, otherwise you'll just end up with an ulcer and a nervous twitch.

I think I'm going to kill myself
If you're somewhere between 13-19 and you're saying this then put the razor blade down, turn off the my chemical romance and realize that whatever problem you have right now is trivial in the long run. Your parents not getting you a car/ not letting you go to a concert/ making you take off your eyeliner is not a good reason to kill yourself. Yeah I know I know, searing darkness of your soul and goth poetry and so on, its still not worth it. Refer back to the first point about being depressed in middle and high school.  If you're 20 and over or don't fall into the whiny emo category then I suggest waiting a year. Its pretty good advice to wait a year before doing anything life changing just to see if it still seems worth it, whether it's getting a tattoo or buying a house or lopping your genitals off for the masochistic fun of it. During said year I suggest going to a psychologist to at least talk the problems out and see if that helps. But, if after all that time you still feel equally as terrible as you did when you started then hey, it's your life and your choice.

There's this girl I like...
Ask her out. No, no shut up, Just ask her out. Yes I know its frightening and you don't think you can do it and you just shat out your spine in utter terror but ask her out. This doesn't mean confess undying love to her or immediately try and get into her pants because both are rather creepy, though the second might actually work depending on the girl oddly enough. Asking her out isn't about making her like you, its about letting the two of you know each other better and seeing if there is in fact a spark there or if it was just infatuation. Never go into a relationship or even a casual date trying to be something you're not, because you won't be able to keep it up forever. Be yourself, if she doesn't like it then it was never going to work anyways.

There's this guy I like...
I know theres a stigma in a lot of societies that girls can't ask guys out, but fuck that shit. Guys like directness, not coy half hidden messages or dropped hints. Its not that we're stupid and don't pick them up (though we do miss them some times) its just that we're not always sure that what we're seeing is really a hint or is just our hopeful imaginations. If you just come out and say it I guarantee 90% of guys will be much happier for it. Also, as much as I know this will be ignored, for the love of god, don't try and go out with someone because of good looks alone. This goes for guys too obviously. I know the temptation is great but in the end you'll have a much more fulfilling relationship if you go with personality first and looks second.

I have this rash/oozing boil/compound fracture/my head is on fire
Why the hell are you asking us? Do we sound like the type of people who are medical professionals? Don't ever ask the Internet about health problems because its basically the same as walking up to anyone on the street and asking them "Does this look infected?". If its some minor problem then don't worry about it, your body will fix itself 99.98% of the time. If it's major though just go to the damn doctor.

I'd like to lose weight
Exercise and eat healthy. I know, shocking concept eh? These days everyone is looking for a fast, painless, easy and effective way to lose weight or gain muscle and I hate to tell you that it doesn't really exist. If you really want to lose weight you're going to have to work at it a bit and actually get off the couch, jog around a bit and stop eating cake for breakfast. Low fat, low calorie meals, regular physical exercise, drinking plenty of water and having a regular sleep schedule are the best and most health ways to lose weight and get fit. So man (or woman) up and get to it.

I'm afraid of...
The best way to get over a fear is to understand why you're afraid of what ever you're afraid of. If the fear is rational (eg fear of heights because you might fall and injure yourself) then the best thing to do is to take every possible precaution and then face your fear. If you're afraid of heights then do some safe things up high and you'll probably at least dull the fear. If your fear is irrational (Fear of mariachi bands because their hats remind you of giant nipples) then its probably best to ask yourself "Why am I afraid of giant nipples?". Regardless, the best way to conquer fear is to understand why the fear exists at all. Once you know that you can start to work on getting over it.

Thats it for now, more may be added later. Hopefully this is satisfactory.

Pathos

Re: Life advice Primer. Read this before posting a new thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:09:07 pm »

I come from the June of 2010! After piecewise made this post, the people of Life Advice took it to heart and NEVER posted in here again.

Well done, piecewise, you killed off Life Advice.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:56:02 pm »

What if we require advice on becoming a pimp in a small city?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 05:01:36 pm »

What if we require advice on becoming a pimp in a small city?
This is just a catch all for the generic threads we always get. Also, I suggest purple clothing, furs, canes, large hats, Ho dat don't have none of dat crotch rot, and a strong pimp hand.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 05:07:54 pm »

This is supposed to be about generic Life Advice threads, but I don't see any mention of "OH GOD I want to learn to how to program but I don't want to read books hold my hand please".  Also, "Ah'm makin' a computer!"  I'm still divided as to whether either of those qualify as Life Advice, but they're here to stay.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 05:23:08 pm »

It confused me in the first place,as to why someone would ask an internet forum for life changing advice,of any kind.
Simple answers to simple questions you posted here,but unfortunately people will still post threads consisting of those in the original post.

Pathos

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 05:23:30 pm »

"OH GOD I want to learn to how to program but I don't want to read books hold my hand please".

Is this possible? I don't want to read any threads to find out, so make a YouTube video please.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 06:07:48 pm »

"OH GOD I want to learn to how to program but I don't want to read books hold my hand please".

Is this possible? I don't want to read any threads to find out, so make a YouTube video please.

Or better still, you know how, can you just make this for me? I have a really great idea for a game ...
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Pathos

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 10:18:25 pm »

Or better still, you know how, can you just make this for me? I have a really great idea for a game ...

... It's nothing too complicated, just Dwarf Fortress with Crysis' graphics system (you do know how to model and texture, right?) and ...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 10:28:27 pm »

Not everyone in High School is depressed. It's just the 10% of people that are depressed whining louder than the 90% who tell them to shut up.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:06:06 pm »

Not everyone in High School is depressed. It's just the 10% of people that are depressed whining louder than the 90% who tell them to shut up.
I think everyone has a bit of depression in high school, at least from time to time. Its the time of first loves, which almost always end badly.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 11:27:39 pm »

<<< Hasn't been depressed through High School. Honestly, I'm having the time of my life.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 11:44:17 pm »

You're an exception, and high school isn't over yet.  You'll have your day.

It's true though, High School sucks and all, but it's four years.

I'm not a Family Guy fan, but this is so hilarious, true, and relevant to Life Advice it must be posted.
Shoes...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 02:09:10 am »

<<< Hasn't been depressed through High School. Honestly, I'm having the time of my life.
What about the fact that you're preparing for an extended education in a broken system to do nothing more then gain a multi-thousand dollar piece of paper that allows you to work for 40 years before dying unfulfilled? How does that make you feel?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 02:18:00 am »

I fail to see the logic in trying to make someone feel depressed in the same thread that's supposed to stop shit like that.

Not that it isn't funny.

Also, "Ah'm makin' a computer!"  I'm still divided as to whether either of those qualify as Life Advice, but they're here to stay.
I'll be damned if you'll make me move mine.

Also, you forgot the "ha ha see how I'm pretending I need advice over a girl whoops threads not actually about that how clever am I" threads. Oh, and the "ha ha see how I made fun of myself for making the above thread how clever am I" posts.

Man, I'm kinda depressed now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4