Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What to do with an inorganic forgotten beast?  (Read 13825 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with an inorganic forgotten beast?
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:31:02 am »

I just had one of the infamous unkillable forgotten beasts show up underground.  Fortunately for me, I had just finished walling off the underground map edges.

Now I have this indestructible forgotten beast just sitting outside my underground walls.  Does anyone have ideas on how I might use this beast?  This opportunity seems too good to pass up.  Do they go after goblins?  I have a large number of prisoners...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with an inorganic forgotten beast?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:59:06 am »

You shall build a trap room for it, in which you shall place many cage traps and a sacrificial kitten. The room will be at the end of a long passage and on the opposite end of the cavern the beast is occupying. the room will be underneath a cave-in which will be used to kill the beast in the event the cage traps don't work, or knock it unconscious so they can catch it. If this fails, you have another chance to catch it, but you have to set it up beforehand. Dig another cave in to the appropriate height so that the natural stone walls will seal the exit and it cannot leave this trap room.
If it can be tamed, tame it, but make sure it and the trainer are sealed off from the fortress completely in the event of horrible doom.
Either way, construct an arena and get it in there, then drop prey into the pit with it.

Send a dwarf in to deconstruct the wall at the door connecting the trap room to the exterior. They should be able to get inside before the beast arrives, then wall off their exit.

This is not something you want to screw up.  :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:16:08 am »

I'm pretty sure forgotten beasts have trapavoid, so you will need to knock it out in order to capture it, if that's even possible.

Pretty sure they are un-tameable.

But if you do manage to capture it it shouldn't be too hard to build a walled-in arena where you can throw your prisoners to be fed to the beast.

Might be hard if not impossible if the thing flies.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:47:51 am »

Cave-in trap, manual lever activation.
SIDE VIEW
4 #########
3 ### I ###
2 ###_ _###
1 ####_####
0 #########

Width can be as shown above, or wider. What is important is that the supported floor on the third level would be considered "free floating" and cave-in naturally if the support was not there to connect it to the ceiling, AND that this floating floor covers the passage on the first level. Only one support is needed. The walls flanking the first floor passage exist to keep the creatures in the danger area; you COULD use fortifications, but gasious creatures can pass through. It shouldn't need to be said that the third level collapsing floor should be entirely inaccessable, as should the second level walkways the first level side walls create.

Possible automated collapse-trap would involve using a pressure plate that triggers on 0/7 and 1/7 water. Theoretical setup would appear as:
TOP VIEW
##.####
##.####
##.X^<#
##.####
##.####

#. .###
#. .###
#. .#>.
#. .###
#. .###

Construction would require that the pressure plate be built prior to linkage to the support. After the plate is built, the floodgate is placed at X. A pond is designated and water dumped until a depth of 2/7 on both lower tiles. The pressure plate is linked to the support. The down staircase is denied as a path by having construction block it.

Floodgate destroyed by building destroyer.
Water flows out.
Pressure plate triggers.
Support deconstructs.
Rocks fall.
Everything dies by "crushed to death"
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Gudamor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 05:14:02 am »

Use DFliquids from DFhack to build a wall of obsidian around it. Place 7/7 magma directly on the beast and 7/7 water on the z-level above that.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 05:34:07 am »

Might be hard if not impossible if the thing flies.
Airlock/drop-in system.  e.g. bridge-floored intermediate area above side corridor leading to arena with other full barriers at least at fortress side of IA, and maybe also at arena entrance.  Dump/shove/bait your unfortunates into the IA, close off the entrances, retract the bridge (open the lower exit, if necessary) and then return the IA bridge(/lower door) to normal status, ensuring that the FB didn't wander upwards before opening the IA's other doorway.

Or something far more elegant.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 06:42:14 pm »

Why would I want to kill it?  It hasn't done anything to me ... yet.

Hmm, if I built a retracting bridge leading to a target a tame animal, would the beast cross the bridge to get to the animal or will it destroy the bridge first?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:22:26 pm »

Use DFliquids from DFhack to BLAH BLAH BLAH

YAWN

if he wanted to use dfhack he could just spawn a tame one

jesus

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:26:40 pm »

What is the beast? Description nao please.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:23:12 am »

Okay, evil necromancy bump.
I have captured an iron quadriped: it spits frozen secretions and farts boiling dust that can apparently turn things into magma (it gets covered in magma when fighting). It can quickly kill itself somehow. It is covered with mandibles.
I have also captured an ash blob with 3 tails. It bumps into things.

Both are in a 3X4 pit. I throw them cows, kittens and elves, for gigles. But is there anything else to be done with them?
The quadriped, when dead, leaves his "Iron". It weights an incredible amount, has 0 value, and does not seem to be usable. So no melting him into an awesome sword.
Didn't kill the ash blob yet.

Tried to edit world.sav to make them tameable: game crashed.

Any uses for them?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:42:44 am »

Put their cages into a long hallway. When the Goblins start coming down the long hallway, unleash the beasts. Rinse and repeat as needed.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:57:56 am »

Do forgotten beasts actually target goblins?  I  was wondering that  myself.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 11:40:37 am »

Do forgotten beasts actually target goblins?  I  was wondering that  myself.
I've seen it done, but it was upon re-embark when they were listed as friendly.

No joke this huge aluminum man was just hiding under a bed until my miner was almost finished turning the old fortress into the magma pool for my arena... The only reason I wasn't ready to carry out the plan was because I wanted to get all the magma proof stuff out, but oh well.... He's now a molten slag of aluminum.
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »

Why would I want to kill it?  It hasn't done anything to me ... yet.

Hmm, if I built a retracting bridge leading to a target a tame animal, would the beast cross the bridge to get to the animal or will it destroy the bridge first?

beasts have run over my without destroying them bridges before.

Test the beast against goblins - for dwarven sience 8)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:11:28 pm by grufti »

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 12:46:38 pm »

Put their cages into a long hallway. When the Goblins start coming down the long hallway, unleash the beasts. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Cages? You can't stun them, you can't cage them.
Sometimes caveins are the only option.

Hmm, just got an evil idea.
What if you breached into the Fun Unhappy Place and led them into an unkillable FB? What would happen?

Also dunno about goblins, but FB ignore each-other. In my fort the iron quadruped and the blob are coexisting peacefully, prancing around the little pit.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:49:44 pm by Encased in burning magma »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: [1] 2 3