Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Message spam suggestion: Z->stocks->shortages  (Read 595 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Message spam suggestion: Z->stocks->shortages
« on: May 09, 2010, 06:22:06 pm »

I often set 60 jobs to smelt iron ores, 30 lignite, 30 pig iron, 30 steel, and jobs needing 60 steel to fulfill.  Or the equivalent in whatever else (i.e. mill, process, dye, weave, make socks).  Also, with two kitchens and auto-render on, butchering one animal.

Then for the next season I get a huge amount of spam telling me that I'm low on coke, pig iron, and steel (or plants/dye/thread/cloth, or glob).  So much that I don't notice when a dwarf dies or if I'm out of barrels or whatever.

Suggestion: by default, don't spam those messages that there's insufficient whatever; instead, in the stocks screen somewhere (probably the first category), have a list of the cancellations.

That's the basic bit.

More completely: Have this list sorted first by item type, next by location of where it was needed, and with 'z' to zoom on that location.  Every power-of-two number of cancellations, warn the user that jobs have been cancelled for lack of resources (either this, or every new category of job or item or whatever is reasonable).  Retire cancellations that are 3 months old.  Maybe have the list be contingent on having a bookkeeper, so a newbie gets the cancellations at first (when there are few enough to be useful).

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Message spam suggestion: Z->stocks->shortages
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 07:15:21 pm »

I'm not sure how easy this is to do, but I think a better solution would be to have a second announcement list solely for "dire" announcements, marked in a different color like red.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 07:50:29 pm »

I'm not quite sure how your solution differs from what's currently happening in the game.

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 11:37:23 pm »

Before you set the jobs to go, look at your stocks screen. If you have 60 steel,set the jobs. If not, set the job for however much steel you have.

Problem solved?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 09:17:31 pm »

It's true I could micromanage metal production and turn off all automatic jobs.  That seems suboptimal.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:07:59 am »

Even setting the jobs in the manager isn't the greatest for that, as it takes longer to make steel than it does to make a product out of steel.

I'd try setting 30 "make steel shield" jobs to say 20, and have the 30 "smelt steel" and "smelt pig irons" set up. 

Also be sure to have a few extra on hand just to get the process rolling, in case the a dwarf tries to make steel before the ore or bars are available.

I also agree about important alerts--the death of a dwarf is a different color and more easily noticable, but noticing the cave crocodile chasing everyone and causing mayhem is less noticable in the flood of messages, until you learn the Urist the Hauler got mauled to death, and the six guys near him and the seven just showing up are now in great danger.
igless