Advanced search  

Author Topic: quickie  (Read 459 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
quickie
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:26:25 pm »

just a quick question, can I farm on dirt already? or is mud still needed?

(can't play df on this pc so i can't try)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: quickie
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:46 pm »

Underground crops require mud. They cannot grow on soil types (as of 31.01 through 31.03).

Surface crops can be grown on mud or any "soil" type (dirt, sand, etc).
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:39:51 pm »

Underground crops require mud. They cannot grow on soil types (as of 31.01 through 31.03).

Thanks, guess I'm gonna have to work on my mechanical skills again.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:04:39 pm »

I thought this thread would be about dwarves having sex :/ .
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:16:45 pm »

Thanks, guess I'm gonna have to work on my mechanical skills again.

No need for anything special, just dig a big room next to a smallish murky pond and then mine out one of the walls of the pond to let the water flow into your farm room.  You now have muddy dirt to farm on forever.  Might want to plug the hole in the pond if you dont want wet spots when it rains.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:39:49 pm »

Or use a bucket brigade to irrigate some stone.

JamPet posted this excellent example of bucket brigade farm creation:

+++++++++
+===+===+     One z-level above the farm plots
+===+===+
+++++++++

+++++++++
+FFF+FFF+      Farm Plots
+FFF+FFF+
+++++++++

This is my setup, +s are floors, and =s are open spaces.  Basically just set up a pond in the six open space tiles (i-p-P-f, as Werdna said) and watch it.  When a dwarf drops a bucket of water down, delete just that tile of activity zone.  This tells the dwarves to move on to the other spots in order.  This is very water efficient, just 1/7 a tile of water per tile of farmland, about as efficient as it is possible to be!  The 1/7 covering of water creates a dusting of mud that lasts for eternity as far as I'm aware.  So you do it and you're done, go get plantin'!  It also leaves unnecessary open pits scattered around my fortresses which I enjoy very much.  Dangerous drops with no safety railings are very dwarfy, imo.

The water conservation and the holes in the ground are the two primary reasons why I always use this particular setup.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!