Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One dead merchant = no trading at all?  (Read 770 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One dead merchant = no trading at all?
« on: May 06, 2010, 09:35:01 am »

On the way to my fortress, some merchants got ambushed (twice!) by goblins. Everyone survived (their guards were invincible) but one of the traders bled to death in the depot.
Two things - does this have any effect on my relations with the homeland? And why won't it let me trade? It says that there are no merchants trading but two merchants survived and are at the depot.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: One dead merchant = no trading at all?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 10:27:16 am »

If one of the actual merchants die the caravan SHOULD leave, I say should, because it's very possible that since he bled out in the depot they may be glitched into being stuck there, but you never know.

As for relations with the civ, the dwarven civ will always trade with you, no matter what you do to them the previous year.
And just to say, any other civ will hardly care either, just reduced trade goods.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 10:39:27 am »

Generally if any traders are killed the caravan will pack up and head home for that year.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:43:18 am »

Did the merchants start unloading their goods before one died?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:23:02 am »

I presume they did start to unload before he died, as he bled to death in the Depot. They left five minutes after he left though, during which I couldn't trade with them.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:50 pm »

I presume they did start to unload before he died, as he bled to death in the Depot. They left five minutes after he left though, during which I couldn't trade with them.

Because they were packing up.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:09:14 pm »

On the way to my fortress, some merchants got ambushed (twice!) by goblins. Everyone survived (their guards were invincible) but one of the traders bled to death in the depot.
Two things - does this have any effect on my relations with the homeland? And why won't it let me trade? It says that there are no merchants trading but two merchants survived and are at the depot.
They'll regroup, pack up, and leave, though they may take the full trading season to do so.  They'll still trade if a guard or two bites it, but if a merchant dies, you're out of luck that year.

I don't think it's possible to seriously affect your relationship with your civilization.  The caravan might bring less next year but dwarves will never declare war on you or anything.  Even if it was humans, one turned back caravan's not serious.  A dead diplomat's another matter...

On the plus side, if a merchant died, you've got some free goods sitting around somewhere waiting to be unforbidden.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:29:34 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.