Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie Groundhogs scares my dwarves  (Read 1207 times)

Shaka Adim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombie Groundhogs scares my dwarves
« on: May 05, 2010, 11:50:35 am »

I started my new game, 40d this time an i settled on a location overrun by zombie groundhogs..
Every dwarf that sees them cancels all their work and runs in panic.
I ordered one of my military dwarves to patrol the area near the entrance to my fortress but some hogs seems to make it and keeps freaking everyone out.. Also my hunter seems to be afraid of them although i'm not sure yet.. Maybe if i gave him a crossbow? :P
but i can't make any right now because caravans keeps bringing me trash and i haven't got into making metal yet..
But here's my question:
Can I somehow make one of my dwarves to automaticaly seek those beasts (yeah..) without designating him to patrol every inch of my map?
also.. dwarves cant eat them, can they? :P

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Groundhogs scares my dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:08:57 pm »

If you've got military dwarves, you can give them an order to kill the groundhog. Go to the quad menu, select [A]ll of your squads, and tell them to attac[k] the groundhog. When they're finished, go into the squad menu again, select them all, and cancel the order.

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:10:19 pm »

If you've got military dwarves, you can give them an order to kill the groundhog. Go to the quad menu, select [A]ll of your squads, and tell them to attac[k] the groundhog. When they're finished, go into the squad menu again, select them all, and cancel the order.

I think that's a new feature in DF2010, the OP is playing D40.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:35:23 pm »

Station some soldiers at your entrance. Proper dwarves live underground anyways, so it should be easy to have only a single entrance that is guarded. Your dwarves will not see the groundhogs, but your military dwarves will happily run over to them to chop them into pieces. To make sure nothing gets by build a few weapon traps full of discs.

Let them come to you, and when they come to you your military dwarves will automatically slaughter them.

Shaka Adim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:01:08 pm »

Thanks for replies, i could do that but the thing is i still need wood (mainly for bed as immigrants rushesh like crazy :P)
thats why i needed some seekers.. guess i get my other military dwarf running to the woods and back for now ;)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 01:06:12 pm »

Woodcutters are considered to be as expendable as fisherdwarves for a reason.   ;)

Fisherdwarves have an unhealthy fascination with carp, and woodcutters are great at spotting goblin ambushes.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:21:14 pm »

Mod out their eyes.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 04:49:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure hunters won't go after undead creatures (probably because they wouldn't yield any food anyway). So your best bet would probably be (as mentioned) some soldiers and maybe a couple of traps if they tend to get too close for comfort. With all the immigrants you should be able to recruit a couple of them.  :D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 05:54:22 pm »

Woodcutters can generally hold their own against small undead creatures. They do carry axes. While undead creatures may chase them around a little, if they actually are able to corner the dwarf the dwarf will usually win.

At least against zombie and skeletal groundhogs.

If we're talking zombie whales here, you're screwed.   :o

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:13:21 pm »

Consider training some war animals, they're excellent for defending your fortress against minor threats such as zombie groundhogs, goblin snatchers and rampaging elephants... okay, maybe not that.

Shaka Adim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 06:02:16 am »

can i make war dogs patrol by themselves? i thought they can only follow someone, this is what i made them do anyway..
man those hogs are such a pain..
right now one of them is above the entrance to my fort and all the dwarves piss themselves and dont want to go out for water..
i better get my well running..

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 06:13:19 am »

Consider training some war animals, they're excellent for defending your fortress against minor threats such as zombie groundhogs, goblin snatchers and rampaging elephants... okay, maybe not that.
...War unicorns.
can i make war dogs patrol by themselves? i thought they can only follow someone, this is what i made them do anyway..
man those hogs are such a pain..
right now one of them is above the entrance to my fort and all the dwarves piss themselves and dont want to go out for water..
i better get my well running..
Chain them near the entrance. Should do the job. If needed, cage the rest into a quantum cage near the entrance, make sure they're all trained, and install a lever to go with it. Just in case anything gets past your elaborate defences, you can throw over a hundred war dogs at them. It's the same thing that lets 40 dabbling wrestlers kill a dragon, really.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 06:45:21 am »

you could construct a wall ([b)uild -> [C)onstruction -> [w)all) around some of the trees and a section of the water source so you have a secure aboveground compound.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 07:25:45 am »

I have almost the same problem with my latest fort. Needed to farm above ground to start out and have hordes of elk and groundhogs rushing towards the entryway, scaring the farmers. Now we have mountians of traps and fly-covered corpses piled around the front doors, very attractive sight for the elven trade caravan..
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf