Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fortress Dwarves: Drink Milk  (Read 6021 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Dwarves: Drink Milk
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 04:11:03 am »

Stacking issues come into play with all of these though. I suppose those need work anyway. XP and workspeed issues due to stacks need looking into as well.

Hmm, how much of that milk goes to the calves exactly?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 10:11:00 am »

Stacking issues come into play with all of these though. I suppose those need work anyway. XP and workspeed issues due to stacks need looking into as well.

Hmm, how much of that milk goes to the calves exactly?

Calves tend to only be allowed to nurse for the first 2-3 weeks, after that, farmers wean them so that they can get the mother's milk while the calves just eat grass.  (If the calf is allowed to live at all - if there's no place for them on the farm, especially if they are a male calf, they'll just be chopped into veal after the first two weeks.  Why feed a bull that isn't going to produce milk?  You only need one bull to produce more cows.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_cattle

Apparently, milk production peaks around day 40 or 60, but will continue for about 10 months from the time of birth.  After that, it's time to get the cow pregnant again. (Gestation: 2 months.)  Naturally, pregnant cows do not give milk, nor do cows that have yet to give birth, or have not given birth in some time, so DF is unrealistic on this account, as all mammals capable of producing a milk object are just eternally lactating as soon as they hit puberty.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 06:29:42 pm »

IIrc. With continuing stimulation (thus by milking) of the mammary-glands you can produce milk for ever but the quality of said milk changes in a not desirable way because you strain f.E. the Alveolic-tissue over a long time. You stop the milking around 8 weeks before the new calf is born to let said tissues regenerate. Oversized breast implants are infamous for a continued stimulation btw.

Male calves get fattened for 12 to 18 months so they can be butchered and skinned - Cow leather is still one of the most used Leathers in the world. Butchering younger calves gets done too but is less common.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:34:56 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

mellonbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 09:55:47 pm »

There was me (That is Urist) and my three squadmates, Thrunsten, Idenudesh, and Dim. 
And we sat in the milk stockpile, trying to make up our rasoodocks what to do with the evening. 
The milk stockpile held milk plus; milkplus synthmesc, velocet, or gnomeblight, which is what we were drinking.  This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-tantruming.

blazzano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 02:14:09 am »

There was me (That is Urist) and my three squadmates, Thrunsten, Idenudesh, and Dim. 
And we sat in the milk stockpile, trying to make up our rasoodocks what to do with the evening. 
The milk stockpile held milk plus; milkplus synthmesc, velocet, or gnomeblight, which is what we were drinking.  This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-tantruming.

Followed shortly by Urist calling some marauding goblin a "vial of cheap stinking elephant tallow," and promising to give him one in the yarbles.
Pages: 1 2 [3]