Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Curse you, aquifer!  (Read 1198 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Curse you, aquifer!
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:11:12 am »

I embarked on volcano punching through an aquifer.

As I was digging out the water channels leading to my cistern, when all of a sudden-- gold! Huzzah! Native gold! ...well, more gold, anyway.

I mined out some of the gold, and then-- water! The gold nuggets, drowned in water! Oh, tragedy!

Oh well. I guess I'll just go back to smelting the rest of the aluminum, then.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Curse you, aquifer!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:17:22 am »

pumps and waterwheels, make lots of pumps and water wheels.  That or apply lots of magma and dig your gold out of the obsidian.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Sulphuratum

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitteh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:22:05 am »

or just forget it. gold isnt very rare.just find a new vein
Serpentine fried up in olivine oil and limonite juice?  Sounds gneiss.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:32:03 am »

or just forget it. gold isnt very rare.just find a new vein
I know, it's mostly that I didn't expect water to pour out of a native gold tile...
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 05:23:45 pm »

That happened to me the other day though it was microcline that started leaking rather than gold. Lost one or two rock crystals that way.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 05:28:49 pm »

You shouldn't let mere nature and the laws of physics mock you this way.  Solve you problems with Magma like a true dwarf!

Dig out the layer above the aquifer.  Channel around the edges, making an isolated box around the gold vein.  It should fill with water if you're hitting an aquifer.  Pump magma over the channel, creating a sealing ring of obsidian.  Now channel out all the tiles inside the ring from above.  The channeled space will be full of water, but once you've channeled out the last non-obsidian space you will then be able to pump the water out and recover your gold nuggets.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:33:09 pm »

You shouldn't let mere nature and the laws of physics mock you this way.  Solve you problems with Magma like a true dwarf!

Dig out the layer above the aquifer.  Channel around the edges, making an isolated box around the gold vein.  It should fill with water if you're hitting an aquifer.  Pump magma over the channel, creating a sealing ring of obsidian.  Now channel out all the tiles inside the ring from above.  The channeled space will be full of water, but once you've channeled out the last non-obsidian space you will then be able to pump the water out and recover your gold nuggets.
The weird thing about this map is the way it is made. It has random pillars of dirt going through the rock, and I can't for the life of me tell where I'm going to hit aquifer next.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:29 am »

A most dwarfy solution!
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 10:41:59 am »

Remember the magma water heater bugfeature when doing this though.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.