Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "simple fluids" init option  (Read 1362 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"simple fluids" init option
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:41:48 pm »

I'd like to be able to turn fluids off, or at least down, in init. If turned off I think they'd stop flowing entirely and just sit at their depth when the init was turned off. They could still be pumped, I imagine, but wouldn't leave the square they were pumped into. Fluid levels would have to be prevented from dropping so that wells didn't run dry after seven uses and things like that.

As an extra it'd be nice to be able to just turn them down, removing a number of the features of fluids such as pressure and evapouration and whatever else might cost processor power, but mainly I'd just like to turn flow off for when I embark somewhere with flowing liquid and have no intent for large water/magma projects.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "simple fluids" init option
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:43:18 pm »

What happens if you dig into a river?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:44:28 pm »

It would be similar to digging into jelly.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:13:16 am »

I can imagine the exploits already.

To clarify, I think freezing water would be a bad idea because of how much it would skew some systems, mbut maybe using a simpler system to conserver power would be nice.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:39:35 am »

I can imagine the exploits already.

To clarify, I think freezing water would be a bad idea because of how much it would skew some systems, mbut maybe using a simpler system to conserver power would be nice.
This is not a balanced game. I don't think the "it could be exploited" reasoning is a good one for disallowing the disabling of one of the most processor intensive non-core features, not when I can easily create a smelter reaction that gives me three billion adamantine wafers at the press of a button.

As for digging: you can't designate fluids for digging. That wouldn't change.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 08:27:21 am »

Couldn't you just embark somewhere without flowing water? Even in 0.31 with the caverns and magma, you can disable or significantly reduce flowing liquids with a custom worldgen.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 11:58:24 am »

Couldn't you just embark somewhere without flowing water? Even in 0.31 with the caverns and magma, you can disable or significantly reduce flowing liquids with a custom worldgen.
First, not so much... I guess you could turn off water in caverns entirely and rely on stagnant surface pools, but that's getting rid of a substantial portion of the game. It's the cavern water that's spurred this: I'm not sure how much it flows but I expect it's a big chunk of the massive FPS drop on finding a wet cavern, especially since many of those caverns have no monsters to cause pathfinding lag.

Second, I would like this because I use water flow like I use temperature: very occasionally, but not never. With temperature I can set up my melting project or magma room with it turned off (just ensure everything is heatsafe), turn it on in init when it's time to do some frying, and turn it off and get a real FPS again when I'm done. I'd like to be able to do the same with fluids: set up my pump system to fill a cistern with no FPS hoggage, turn fluids on when it's time to fill it up, and turn them off again once it's full until it's time to drown a goblin army or make some obsidian.

Do you see what I'm saying?