Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nosebleeds  (Read 1357 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nosebleeds
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:11:29 pm »

As trivial as this sounds I guess nosebleeds should be possible from blunt weapons or punches to the nose, broken noses should be possible causing heavy bleeding,

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
Re: Nosebleeds
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 06:21:18 am »

Nah because i have never heard of someone bleeding to death through a broken nose.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:53:05 am by The butcher »
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:35:32 am »

Nah because i have heard of someone bleeding to death through a broken nose.

The nose would have to be very severely broken to cause bleeding to death actually.

I just mean pretty heavy bleeding, Probually feeling faint from blood loss if its really bad,

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:20:03 pm »

At their least intense you can actually stop a nosebleed by standing up straight and holding your nose.  Although I've never had a force induced nosebleed before, and the only kind I've ever needed to learn how to deal with are caused by sinus issues (which would cause minor annoyance if they were included, since they are more or less random).  I could see that going in as a possible side effect of a cold or something, though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:14:24 pm »

I could see that going in as a possible side effect of a cold or something, though.

Thanks for the idea, catching colds.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:35:57 pm »

I support dwarven nosebleeds. It's a minor injury, that everyone is familiar with. It brings the violence home.

I used to get nosebleeds any time the weather was hot (good thing I never needed to go to a Japanese beach  ::)). The bleeding wouldn't be directly harmful, unless I was prevented from stopping it for an extended period, but stopping the bleeding was a serious hassle, that could cost me one or both hands, for as much as an hour, especially if I didn't have a tissue or rag handy.

A bloody nose won't kill you but it's a huge hassle. Eventually, I got so fed up that I got the veins cauterized (--fresh burnt sulfur on a long stick, like a match. --Makes your eyes water for a few hours.). My nose still bleeds occasionally, but only the tiniest amount. Typically, it doesn't even drip, and I don't have to do anything about it at all. A punch to the nose might tear the burn scar and bleed just as profusely as before, though.

Holding your nose impairs your vision, and the bleeding will make your eyes water. This might penalize someones ability to hit, and leave players the choice of whether to fight with both hands, or use one to hold their nose.

The clotted blood will destroy your sense of smell for several hours, which might be important for races that rely on pheremones or scent tracking. Imagine punching a werewolf in the nose, before running away, so he can't track you. That would be sweet.

Posterior Epistazis, bleeding towards the rear of the sinus cavity, may require medical aid to stop, and is more likely to result in in choking on, or swallowing blood. Fresh human blood will upset the human stomach and cause nausea. Attila the Hun is the most famous person to die from a nosebleed, choking on his own blood, while unconscious.

Some poisons will cause a nosebleed, cluing in the victim that something is amiss.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 09:04:44 pm »

Nosebleeds should also happen if the dwarf in question is horny.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 09:09:08 pm »

Nosebleeds should also happen if the dwarf in question is horny.

*Facepalm*
No, I can't think of a reply that doesn't have even worse innuendo. Your a horrible human who spends too much time indulging in Japanese culture.

*Looks at signature*

Damn.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:25:29 pm »

>.>

<.<

'don't even read anime.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 11:27:50 pm »

Sneaky son of a bitch.

Of coarse you don't, nobody does. You watch it, and read manga.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 11:42:12 pm »

Sneaky son of a bitch.

Of coarse you don't, nobody does. You watch it, and read manga.

You do if you use subs.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 11:58:07 pm »

So you got me on a technicality...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 03:02:10 am »

^^^ Not really fair to the OP to derail the thread with this crap.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 03:28:04 am »

Given the time scale in fortress mode, it would have to be a pretty epic nosebleed to last for more than a handful of ticks. For adventure mode it would be pretty cool color. Over-all I endorse it. As mentioned, it would also work as a good symptom that something else is amiss. Certain dwarfs could also be prone to nosebleeds, while others not. Possibly even something of a genetic trait?

As for them actually being dangerous... it's pretty rare for someone to die of a nosebleed. At 4/2.4 million for US deaths in '99 , I would be concerned that even a very small chance would become disproportionate through quirks of the RNG and bugs. Anyone who's played a game where you can, say, *randomly* fall into a well when drinking from it should know what I'm talking about.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 11:35:25 pm »

A nosebleed alone won't kill you, but in conjunction with other injuries it can finish you off. Anything good enough for Attila the Freaking Hun is good enough for your adventurer.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.
Pages: [1] 2