Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Break it down and build it up again!  (Read 2622 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Break it down and build it up again!
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:11:24 pm »

Ok. I have been spaming some parts of the forum mod with random brainfarts.

My latest vision, since moding is a big task. Is to make stuff simpler by decreasing the amount of data you need to get your head around. Then use the bare bone version to start adding more stuff from the bottom up.

Currently I have cut it down so dwarves are almost the only creatures in the world, not counting forgotten beasts.

The Dwarves will be turned into a "CivCreature"

Weapons into a "Weapon"
All Gems have been changed to one "Gem".
All Stones will turn into one "Stone"
All Ores into one "Ore"
All Trees into one "Tree"

Well you get the idea.
I will then use this resulting, uterly totaly boring mod to learn to add new creatures and items.
I'll be writing up step by step tutorials for myself, (maybe others) and provide links to the empty version and where the changes where made.

I am still in the progress of cleaning up data.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

immolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Break it down and build it up again!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:24:53 pm »

Ok. I have been spaming some parts of the forum mod with random brainfarts.

My latest vision, since moding is a big task. Is to make stuff simpler by decreasing the amount of data you need to get your head around. Then use the bare bone version to start adding more stuff from the bottom up.

Currently I have cut it down so dwarves are almost the only creatures in the world, not counting forgotten beasts.

The Dwarves will be turned into a "CivCreature"

Weapons into a "Weapon"
All Gems have been changed to one "Gem".
All Stones will turn into one "Stone"
All Ores into one "Ore"
All Trees into one "Tree"

Well you get the idea.
I will then use this resulting, uterly totaly boring mod to learn to add new creatures and items.
I'll be writing up step by step tutorials for myself, (maybe others) and provide links to the empty version and where the changes where made.

I am still in the progress of cleaning up data.
I'm not sure I understand. Why exactly does removing all the data in the game help you learn how to mod? Wouldn't a modding guide be a better idea?

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:32:06 pm »

By removing all but the most basic data, gives me a easier overview of relations between tags in different files.

Also it gives me the possibility to make things the way I want them from the start.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:46:45 pm »

The idea is very... tempting to follow through. I'd just like to point out, there is A LOT to remove and by removing all of that, it sounds like you want to re-add that stuff, but with your specifications?

I know when I am working on my modding guide, I use presently existing stuff to reference what I'm working on. But to help you on your quest.

You could have dwarfs the only creature, I believe you'd want obsidian and maybe one other stone. Then another mineral, probably adamantine so that you don't remove that trigger effect from the game. You could get away with removing all gems, seeing as glass acts like a gem. Also... you could remove all clothing items, but you may run into problems at freezing climates, unless you disable temperature. Don't forget there are evil, normal, and good biome plants and trees. Idno how well it'd work trying to add them all to every biome. You may also want to make sure you keep a soil level, so that you can plant. The only workshop you could get rid of would be the soap makers.

That's about what I got at the moment. Shouldn't take too long to fix all that up real quick.

-edit-

just did some basic real quick and ugly testing...

it seems you want two basic stone layers or you end up with "rock" layers.

you must have the axe and pick, for digging and cutting trees.

uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

make sure you have accessible plants, you'll be editing plant raws for some plant.

I was able to get rid of all creatures cept dwarfs and the "special" ones. I kept two plants, pig tails and plump helmet, for food and thread. I kept adamantine and granite and a soil, I got rid of aquifer on the soil... there was some stuff I got rid of in the entity file, like clothing and reactions. I got rid of almost all reaction.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:16:59 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:57:27 pm »

Yeah I am currently working with metals and ore. creating two sets of ore for test.

ITEMORE and VALUEORE that will be turned into ITEMMETAL and VALUEMETAL
essentialy VALUEMETAL is gold. And ITEMORE is iron.
I think i'll remove the [FUEL] tag as well. now i just need to remove the reference to all other metals.

Oh my new (old) picture?

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 04:29:14 pm »

Yes I got the most boring fortress in the world, up and running.

I started at a mountain. At the site i found lots of trees called tree, there was also lots of item ore stone and value ore stone.
I used my item metal pick to start digging while my wood cutter used his item metal axe to cut down trees named tree.

After some hard work the gathered at the wagon and feasted on some consumable plants and left some consumable seeds lying around.

To be honest at the moment the only part i really seem to like is the fact that stone is stone.

What material do you want to use to build your blacksmith, value metal, item metal or stone.
I might extend it to give the stone a color name based on the color.
Blue stone, red stone, yellow stone when I play around a bit.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 06:19:31 pm »

For a second, I thought you were talking about making a "learning mode" so someone picking up DF could cut down "Tree" for "Wood" and not care what type it was.  They could mine "Stone" to build things without worrying about it's type or color and "Metal" for "Weapon" without having to know about different damage types, etc.  You could plant "Food" seeds in the fields and eat them or make "Drink" from it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 06:28:27 pm »

umm I think you need some things in there or it gives you a crash.
Example: dimple cups for at least 1 dye item.
Am right?
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:21:41 pm »

There was no crash when I went practically bare minimum
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:39:03 pm »

Hey no, don't call the trees tree.  What you're trying to do is figure out what each and every tag does, and where each tag is used.  As such you should call the tree "tree name1," etc and use different numbers to differentiate between the tags so you can search through your raws to find where a tag gets used.  Otherwise when you see a "tree" you won't know where the engine got that string from. 

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:45:36 am »

Hey no, don't call the trees tree.  What you're trying to do is figure out what each and every tag does, and where each tag is used.  As such you should call the tree "tree name1," etc and use different numbers to differentiate between the tags so you can search through your raws to find where a tag gets used.  Otherwise when you see a "tree" you won't know where the engine got that string from.

At the moment, tree is just called tree because there is only one tree. When I am adding more trees to check tags, the name would change.

As for making the game easiser, to grasp by just haveing "food", etc. that would be totaly do able as well, as soon as some more tags are out, specialy body parts and tissues would need a "cut".

Oh my new (old) picture?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 04:52:59 am »

For a second, I thought you were talking about making a "learning mode" so someone picking up DF could cut down "Tree" for "Wood" and not care what type it was.  They could mine "Stone" to build things without worrying about it's type or color and "Metal" for "Weapon" without having to know about different damage types, etc.  You could plant "Food" seeds in the fields and eat them or make "Drink" from it.

That's a really cool idea. I might do that some time.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 04:57:05 am »

No no, I understand the concept.  What I mean is, in the process of entirely defining a creature, you end up naming it like 5 times.  There are multiple places where you're asked to define something like [TAG:singular:plural] within the scope of a single entity.  They're all used for different things in different situations by the game engine.  Within that one creature, instead of entering 'tree' (just using trees as an example, haven't actually looked at plant raws at all) enter 'tree name 1' 'tree name 2', so that when a tree name pops up in some context you can tell exactly where it came from.  If you just enter 'tree' every time, when the game engine says 'tree' you're going to be uncertain about where it got that string from.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 05:00:04 am »

Well that's a good point.

Until I checked out the dragon raws, I had no idea that it went (single):(plural):(descriptive).

I just put the first and last to be the same and it seemed to work.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 05:18:59 am »

I have to be honest, world generation is much faster when there are only dwarves. :P

Oh my new (old) picture?
Pages: [1] 2