Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linkdumpage: New creature; the alot  (Read 756 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Linkdumpage: New creature; the alot
« on: April 26, 2010, 07:57:36 am »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Re: Linkdumpage: New creature; the alot
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:50:39 am »

interesting read. I think part of the "alot" problem is that "a lot" can mean two things. Technically "a lot" refers to a open space, often used to park vehicles (a parking lot) or to point out the lack of something in an area (a(n) empty/vacant lot).

"a lot' also has been commonly used to express a large amount of something. "that is a lot of beer cans". The problem comes into play when you know of both meanings. "that is a lot of beer cans.", does this mean there is an empty space full of beer cans or simply a large amount of beer cans with no specific location?

Those with intermediate knowledge of the English language (I.E. educated Joe Blow) will come to this problem and ponder as to the correct course of action. "a lot" seems better suited to describe a place or thing because "lot" is what the place/thing is and "a" is used to support it but is not necessary (I.E. "that lot", "the far lot"). When using "a lot" to describe an amount or quantity, you cannot use it without the "a" unless you want to use confusing and incorrect grammar like "we had lot of beer this weekend". So it, at least a little, makes sense to merge "a lot" into "alot" when describing a quantity or amount.

Just my two cents. I know it is wrong according to "proper grammar" but it at least makes sense to me. I'm no English teacher though so I may be wrong.

Also, I will now picture that creature whenever I read alot. make of that, what you will.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:23:48 pm »

I liked that alot.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 12:26:25 pm »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:53:00 pm »

That's very cute
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:55:25 am »

That is alot of hookers.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:43 am »

That is alot of hookers.

Disturbing image.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd