Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Magma Drill  (Read 4805 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Drill
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 08:10:42 pm »

What about magma?  I just want to know if a magmawheel's even feasible!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:58 pm »

What about magma?  I just want to know if a magmawheel's even feasible!

I don't believe it is.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 10:09:02 pm »

How come?  Nether-cap wood shouldn't burn. [FIXED_TEMP]

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 10:18:16 pm »

If we ever get thermals then you can just stick windmills around your volcano.

I like this idea though, it seems dwarvy. To the people saying that the huge pump towers are better because they're more difficult I understand what you're saying, but pump towers aren't difficult, just annoying. Perhaps, if this were to be put in, it would have to use a great deal of magma safe metal and exponentially more energy, just to keep everything nice and hard for the masochists out there.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 11:30:17 pm »

I believe magmawheels don't work because magma doesn't have actual flow like water does. 

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 11:59:24 pm »

I believe magmawheels don't work because magma doesn't have actual flow like water does.
This is wrong. Magma does have the flow that powers waterwheels, what it lacks is pressure, which doesn't push things anyway.

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 11:29:47 am »

This is wrong. Magma does have the flow that powers waterwheels, what it lacks is pressure, which doesn't push things anyway.

!!!

Is it possible to pressurize magma through pumps?  Because honestly, why would I bother using mere waterwheels when I could have MAGMA wheels!?

I can't think of a dorfier power plant O_O

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 12:31:46 pm »

Why not? the only problem I've been having with this is that I haven't found any nether-caps on my map...  Does anyone know where they are?  The raw file says it's on tier three, but I haven't seen any; but since I've only seen a little bit around a magma pipe, I've still got hope.

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 01:00:20 pm »

The thread below started as a discussion of magma wheels before devolving into a steam power debate:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53558.msg1149014#msg1149014

I wouldn't necessarily recommend resurrecting that thread since it might revive the steam debate, but it does have some ideas about magma wheels in the beginning that might be of interest.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 01:42:46 pm »

Why not? the only problem I've been having with this is that I haven't found any nether-caps on my map...  Does anyone know where they are?  The raw file says it's on tier three, but I haven't seen any; but since I've only seen a little bit around a magma pipe, I've still got hope.

Cavern level 3.  The caves just above the magma.  They're pretty common down there; dark blue IIRC.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 02:02:00 pm »

All I've seen so far are blood thorns, I hope that magma pipe isn't ruining my chances!  I want to make a cooled platform for the king's (metal) throne to go on!

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »

Grumman, according to the Wiki magma does NOT have "flow" (maybe current would be a better word), and can't power waterwheels regardless of material.  This accords with what I've seen.  By flow, or current, i mean the alternating pattern of pale and dark ~ that you get on rivers and brooks, and that indicates the presence of water useable for a waterwheel, NOT the flow of tiles of liquid from one place o the next, which both fluids certainly do.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 11:32:54 pm »

The only way to end this argument is to actually go out and build it!!!

So what be ye, a Dwarf or an Elf?!?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 11:58:00 pm »

I would tell you, but I can't see my own forehead, so I don't know if its a smiley face or a E.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 01:41:45 am »

I would tell you, but I can't see my own forehead, so I don't know if its a smiley face or a E.

Do you get moderate vertigo when you realise how far off the floor you are?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4