Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forcing the use of determinate containers?  (Read 836 times)

obsidian razor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forcing the use of determinate containers?
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:01:47 am »

Okay... this is getting annoying...

I have the ingredients to brew some nice booze, however, I can't since all my dwarves use my barrels to store food as soon as they come out of the carpenters shop!!

Can I do anything about it without stopping my food production?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing the use of determinate containers?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:03:23 am »

Encrust the food with gems and sell it?

obsidian razor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:06:11 am »

Wait, what?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:15:25 am »

Well if you encrust the food with gems then sell it, it free up some barrels.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:15:59 am »

Not sure if it's in exactly the same spot in the new release, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

In the stockpile menu (where you choose which kind you're gonna make) there's an option for Reserve Barrels.  Set this to a non-zero number.  This makes it so that dwarves will ignore a certain number of barrels when deciding to store food.

Specific Tasks which require barrels (i.e. brew drink, process plant to barrel, ect) still use them, but general stockpiling doesn't.

obsidian razor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:31:56 am »

That did the trick!

Thanks!

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 09:00:47 am »

You are also able to set up the maximum number of barrels/bins used in stockpiles for each stockpile.

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:08:57 am »

I suggest using a separate prepared food stockpile with no barrels, since prepared food doesn't rot in a stockpile. I'm not sure if vermin will eat it though, so be sure you have a cat.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 10:56:15 am »

Vermin will eat unprotected food.  They'll also eat protected food eventually.  Metal barrels offer better defense than wood.  Of course a few cats will solve that.  Plus you will have far fewer bad thoughts from seeing the vermin.  Just gotta have a way of disposing the remains.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:44:09 am »

I personally split up my food into 3 stockpiles; Booze/liquids, Seeds, Prepared Meals,  Everything else.  The only stockpiles allowed barrels are the seed and booze stockpiles, the other 2 have barrels set at 0 so that all barrels are reserved for booze making.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 01:09:56 pm »

I personally split up my food into 3 stockpiles; Booze/liquids, Seeds, Prepared Meals,  Everything else.  The only stockpiles allowed barrels are the seed and booze stockpiles, the other 2 have barrels set at 0 so that all barrels are reserved for booze making.

I do this as well

Vermin will eat unprotected food.  They'll also eat protected food eventually.  Metal barrels offer better defense than wood.  Of course a few cats will solve that.  Plus you will have far fewer bad thoughts from seeing the vermin.  Just gotta have a way of disposing the remains.

Usually I can make so much food that even allowing the vermin to run amok without cats or trappers, I'm still scrambling to dump excess roasts on the traders. I sacrifice the mild unhappiness of my dwarves for the saved effort in micro. Besides, if a monster starts tearing through the fort, a small bit of happiness won't really make the difference in the long run.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 01:20:14 pm »

Make your stockpile, hit "q", and change reserved barrels with e and r.