Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Affecting the Future  (Read 5788 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Affecting the Future
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:35:31 am »

So. China and Russia are gaining in a political sense in swaying countries from the United States. However, the U.S. is winning the culture war I'd like to think. Do you people think if the American government funded a new branch of government promoting literacy in other country's for that country's people's native language while at the same time spending funds to print American books for them to read in mass quantities it would be beneficial to the world community? I'd imagine an influx of books to South America printed in Espaniol made in America would be a start other then the bible. They've got enough of that, look at the baseball players, we've influenced them enough to point to the sky for their god for that one book. I'd imagine that if Americans aren't reading as many books now a days due to video games and TV and stuff, we should be printing all kinds of books to export to other rapidly growing more literate countries of the world. It would be fair and beneficial to the human race and if any government people read this I'd like you to think about the idea. At the very least Mexico would have much less trouble. People who read books don't hurt anyone while they are reading a book and they also branch out to more knowledge by becoming interested and knowledgeable by what they've read. The only way to good government is through knowledge and not ignoring certain things. Mexico's the example. There are plenty of American stories of drug dealing in our culture, spread throughout that gives knowledge about the world that shouldn't be ignored that we didn't have 10 years ago. Having interacted with immigrants at school and people over the internet, it strikes me that America doesn't see the rest of the world, who don't have books, computers, televisions, radios and find who find these things definite points of interest in their lives. Even old printing machines, with some repair and new typeface, could be be put to work to use to spread the knowledge of mankind. It would be relatively cheap for how effective I imagine it would be, it would put people to work, we have the technology, and it would be hard for politicians to shout down furthering human knowledge. It's so much more profitable to be at peace and learn then be at war. Just look at Japan, Germany, and Poland.

EDIT: I apologize about any grammar errors, I'm pretty tired and was trying to get my basic idea down. I'll go through it later.

EDIT2: Also keep in mind that literacy rates worldwide continue to go up, thank god!

EDIT3: Knowledge is understanding and understanding is compassion.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:12:37 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Affecting the Future
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:46:42 am »

EDIT3: Knowledge is understanding and understanding is compassion.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 07:49:32 am »

Right, so eventually everyone would know we'd better not use that bastard, right?

I'm saying we should export our culture through our printed word en-masse to developing countries that have never had a local library before. It's like an alternative way to take over the world in an in-depth video game such as df except it might work in real life.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:05:10 am by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 08:03:43 am »

Right, so we know we'd better not use that bastard, right?
Not really. Nuclear weaponry is pretty much the only thing that ensures safety of humanity.
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 08:07:09 am »

Not really. Nuclear weaponry is pretty much the only thing that ensures safety of humanity.
OK, let me re-phrase that. We don't use it on HUMANS. Especially a city of humans.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:15:27 am »

OK, let me re-phrase that. We don't use it on HUMANS. Especially a city of humans.
Uh, no. That the entire purpose of nuclear weaponry. In fact, nuclear bombing is a great tool of terror, that leads to stable peace and democracy.
-edit-
Fun fact: USA was the only country to ever use nuclear weaponry in a war. Against cities. And it was completely justified. What little of peace and order world has today is due to this.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:19:08 am by Pillow_Killer »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 08:45:10 am »

Uh, no. That the entire purpose of nuclear weaponry. In fact, nuclear bombing is a great tool of terror, that leads to stable peace and democracy.
-edit-
Fun fact: USA was the only country to ever use nuclear weaponry in a war. Against cities. And it was completely justified. What little of peace and order world has today is due to this.

Look where that got us... cold war ehem?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 08:52:04 am »

And what kept world from being annihilated in holy nuclear fire? The fact that USSR had nukes too.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:54:57 am »

And if neither side had nukes?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:57:00 am »

Convetional warfare, through, extremely unlikely.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 08:59:02 am »

Because since they invented the nuclear bomb, noone has ever gone to war, or been murdered by terrorists for any reason. Theres never been any wars started over WMDs before because of all the nukes everyone has. :P

All nuclear weaponry ensures is that noone else uses nuclear weaponry.

And however justified the US was in bombing hiroshima and nagasaki is debatable. But it certanly isn't the cause for the peace the world has enjoyed since then. Especially since the USA has been at war on and off continuously since then.

Also duuvian: I agree with your general concept, but I dont think sending other countries books is going to solve anything. Mexico is a good example. The place is pretty screwed, and is on it's way to becoming a drug-state ran by cartels. Sending books in wont fix that because the people doing all the killing aren't going to read a book regardless. It's also worth noting that I think you're underestimating how many books there are out there today. The majority of the rest of the world DO have access to books and othe media.

P.S. I always though baseball players pointed to the sky to say "I'm gonna hit the ball out of the park and get a homerun" not pointing at their god?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:04:41 am »

Which is good. Which is safe. Which prevents us from nuking the fuck of ourselves. Conventional wars waged witohut WMDs? Bah, not like death tolls are that high, or that human life is that expensive.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 09:21:51 am »

The potential for conventional war can itself be a deterrent.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:36 am »

Cultural imperialism is one of the main motivators for anti-American terrorism, js
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 10:40:46 am »

Which is good. Which is safe. Which prevents us from nuking the fuck of ourselves. Conventional wars waged witohut WMDs? Bah, not like death tolls are that high, or that human life is that expensive.

It doesn't prevent anything. It deters other nations from nuking each other, but even then only if the people in charge are rational individuals. It also means that if one terrorist gets ahold of a nuke that the entire world could be destroyed in a hail of failsafes and deadman switches.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7