Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Butchering is Excessive  (Read 3148 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering is Excessive
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 07:19:01 am »

What a waste of gold. Its not as though gold is a renewable resource.
Well, since it's inert, you'd excrete it eventually and it would be deposited back into the world.
No it isn't. You can even get the so called noble gases to react with each other and other compounds in the right circumstances.

Wikipedia actually had a good quote that I'll give you:
Chemically, it is unaffected by air, moisture  and most corrosive reagents, and is therefore well suited for use in coins and jewelry and as a protective coating on other, more reactive, metals. However, it is not chemically inert.
I had planned on posting a page-long argument against this, but as Firefox blanked it after I pressed the wrong button, I won't. Let's get back on topic instead.

Yes, I think butchery is rather excessive now. I also have mountains of meat products.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 07:36:18 am »

What a waste of gold. Its not as though gold is a renewable resource.
Well, since it's inert, you'd excrete it eventually and it would be deposited back into the world.
No it isn't. You can even get the so called noble gases to react with each other and other compounds in the right circumstances.

Wikipedia actually had a good quote that I'll give you:
Chemically, it is unaffected by air, moisture  and most corrosive reagents, and is therefore well suited for use in coins and jewelry and as a protective coating on other, more reactive, metals. However, it is not chemically inert.

Ok, getting neon to reaction with fluorine isn't exactly the same as having hydrogen bond with itself. The amount of energy required to have a noble gas react with another noble gas would be MASSIVE!! And any compound you artificially make with a noble gas involves is NEVER stable.

Just making that clear before anybody gets the wrong idea and walks into there chemistry class thinking they know more then they do.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 08:40:01 am »

I guess it would be like

8)

Cooking with mint

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oh my, how did anyone miss this.

Anyways, that's not really all that much meat- farming easily gets you several thousand plump helmets in a few years. Though forgotten beast meat should definitely get nerfed, they have way to much and I wouldn't imagine that a 1052-year old giant three eyed chicken would really yield that much EDIBLE meat anyways.

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 08:50:31 am »

Hi!

Anyways, that's not really all that much meat- farming easily gets you several thousand plump helmets in a few years. Though forgotten beast meat should definitely get nerfed, they have way to much and I wouldn't imagine that a 1052-year old giant three eyed chicken would really yield that much EDIBLE meat anyways.

Well, I suppose it is simply a question of preparation. And butchering that giant chicken probably takes ages where they are marinating and in other ways preparing the meat.

It may not be tasty, but by being rare, it probably still counts as a delicacy like some things in real life.

Deathworks

P.S.: My comment about eating gold was not about health effects but rather about the decadence such behavior shows.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 11:55:35 am »

Gold leaf doesn't have a flavor, really. The stuff is thinner than paper.... however, it's considered something to eat for long life in Japanese cuisine, probably other asian countries as well.

And it's not 'Goldwasser', but 'Goldschlager', one of my favorite hard alcohols. Cinnamon schnapps with gold flecks in it. Goes great with irish cream, call it a gingerbread cookie.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 12:45:57 pm »

Ha!  Goldwasser.  It's like Goldschlager meets Kirschwasser.  I remember seeing Goldschlager in my parents' liquor cabinet when I was growing and wondering why?  I still do, actually.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 01:12:06 pm »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 01:13:57 pm »

Hi!

Somehow, I have the nagging feeling that someone will try to mod in such a beverage into the game - especially giving the absurd amount of ores we find in the new version.

Deathworks

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »

Gold flakes used to be a health additive to wine for a long time as well. Of course, taking 20 ounces of blood was thought to be good for asthma as well, so YMMV.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 03:16:50 pm »

Gold flakes used to be a health additive to wine for a long time as well. Of course, taking 20 ounces of blood was thought to be good for asthma as well, so YMMV.

Good for what ales you.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 03:21:08 pm »

Gold has no flavor and does nothing. Just passes through your digestive tract.

Gold isn't entirely inert, but almost nothing reacts with it, and your body can't really do anything to gold.

Eating gold is excessively decadent yes. Its just a gratuitous show of how rich you are and how much money you have to burn.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 03:54:31 pm »

Well considering it takes 6 months to butcher an elephant, I'm glad.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 04:46:45 pm »

Whenever I get too much meat/fat, I just use the Stocks screen (z) to limit my kitchens to cook only that, and then repeat make lavish meals.  This boils down 4 items into 1, which can then be sold, or just left around to be consumed.

Or was I supposed to talk about edible gold leaf?
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 04:49:30 pm »

Of course, my kitchens are still overwhelmed by the fat -> tallow thing, but that is my ultimate plan.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 05:03:34 pm »

Isn't gold only formed in supernovas? We could renew our solar energy and our gold source in one blow.

Also the TV just showed me some rapper named TI doing a rap-cover of the numa numa song. This makes me scared for what it means to be human.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons
Pages: 1 [2] 3