Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where are you on the political compass? Economic belief is first, social belief second. Test is here: http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Left - Authoritarian
Left - Centre
Left - Libertarian
Centre - Authoritarian
Centre - Centre
Centre - Libertarian
Right - Authoritarian
Right - Centre
Right - Libertarian
Other
Don't care to do the test / View poll

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Where Are You On The Political Compass?  (Read 41056 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where Are You On The Political Compass?
« Reply #330 on: May 05, 2010, 12:33:04 pm »

I think what you are missing is that with a gun, one can easily kill persons from a distance away with next to no effort, especially with sniper rifles readily available.

And anyone with a tiny degree of competence could rig up an IED and blow someone up as far away as they'd like.
 Plus the fact that hunting rifles are literally never used in crimes (I'd be amazingly surprised if it came up as even .01% of gun crimes involved the use of a rifle).

Despite the legislature's claim of a terrorist threat, as of 2009, there has been no terrorist attacks involving a .50 BMG. In fact, not only has the .50 BMG never been used to harm or kill anyone in California, there is no record of a .50 BMG rifle ever being used in the United States to commit a crime.[5][6][7]
Off of the Wikipedia page for California's "WE HATE BIG BULLETS" law.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 05, 2010, 12:52:03 pm »

well, there was that shooting in Texas. And the Washington sniper.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 05, 2010, 01:22:06 pm »

A "sniper" doesn't need to be using a .50 caliber sniper rifle to be a sniper.  The .50 caliber rifle is used mainly for extra long range military target sniping and anti-vehicle sniping.  They are banned by the Geneva Convention for use against human targets though.  (If you've ever seen pictures of someone shot by one, they quite literally tear your body apart like it was a watermelon.)

You can classify someone a "sniper" if they were using a pellet rifle with a scope... even though it would likely not be a deadly shot from so far away.

Edit:  I don't even know if you need a scope to classify a sniper.  Some WWII Snipers didn't use scopes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:24:50 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2010, 01:39:15 pm »

It's not forbidden by Geneva Convention actually.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 05, 2010, 01:55:43 pm »

I think what you are missing is that with a gun, one can easily kill persons from a distance away with next to no effort, especially with sniper rifles readily available.

And anyone with a tiny degree of competence could rig up an IED and blow someone up as far away as they'd like.
 Plus the fact that hunting rifles are literally never used in crimes (I'd be amazingly surprised if it came up as even .01% of gun crimes involved the use of a rifle).
Difficult to tell, given that as far as I can tell, nobody keeps publicly available statistics of crime by specific type of firearm.

Despite the legislature's claim of a terrorist threat, as of 2009, there has been no terrorist attacks involving a .50 BMG. In fact, not only has the .50 BMG never been used to harm or kill anyone in California, there is no record of a .50 BMG rifle ever being used in the United States to commit a crime.[5][6][7]
Off of the Wikipedia page for California's "WE HATE BIG BULLETS" law.

And yet, for such a rare firearm, they seem to pop up disproportionately in the hands of criminals, terrorists and militia nutballs "responsible gun owners". Odd that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 05, 2010, 02:07:02 pm »

It's not forbidden by Geneva Convention actually.

He's probably referring to the fact most (not all) .50 cal rifles are designated as anti-tank (or techically anti-materiel) and so illegal to fire at personal. However not all of them are and at any rate I imagine when there are multiple valid targets it would be hard to say someone wasn't aiming for the tank.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 05, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »

They are still not forbidden. It is disencouraged in the army, but not illegal.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 05, 2010, 02:36:48 pm »

They are still not forbidden. It is disencouraged in the army, but not illegal.
Correct. There is in fact, no portion of the Geneva Conventions banning a specific weapon other than chemical and biological weapons. There is language against indiscriminate carpet bombing, but that's a proscription against a tactic rather than a weapon. There's also some language in the 1907 Hague Convention against "arms, projectiles, or material calculated to cause unnecessary suffering", but this is talking about weapons that wound and leave you alive for some time in extreme pain. A .50cal round isn't going to leave you in extreme pain.

EDIT: For one thing, the Geneva Conventions do *not* apply to active combatants, only to those who are non-combatants or have been wounded and are no longer attempting to fight.

There's also the 1868 St. Petersburg Declaration which banned exploding or flammable ammo under 400g (small arms ammo). Of course, the United States never signed that one in the first place, so it's a moot point. But I think that, combined with the Hague Convention language, might be the source of this misconception.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:40:01 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 05, 2010, 06:30:01 pm »

And yet, for such a rare firearm, they seem to pop up disproportionately in the hands of criminals, terrorists and militia nutballs "responsible gun owners". Odd that.
36 over the span of 18 years... it's an epidemic!

(some bad sarcasm back at you...)

Again, they are tools.  A good portion of those reports had more than just that one gun.  You can't say those people wouldn't have used another weapon in place of those guns.  I seriously hope you're not insinuating that these crimes wouldn't have happened if these people didn't have sniper rifles...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 05, 2010, 06:37:09 pm »

People tend to be sniping, shooting, and killing less when they have to snipe with knives, just saying.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2010, 06:40:00 pm »

People tend to be sniping, shooting, and killing less when they have to snipe with knives, just saying.

DO YOU REALLY WANT TO EMPOWER THESE PEOPLE?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2010, 06:41:41 pm »

Did you read through those reports?  Some of them listed Sniper rifles that were never used, but they were in the ownership of the person committing the crimes or registered to the person charged...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:43:21 pm by Andir »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2010, 06:45:32 pm »

I'll bet every single one of them reported criminals had televisions as well.  Maybe we can link the possession of televisions to people who commit crime.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 05, 2010, 06:48:24 pm »

I'd like to point out that this is not true.  No, muggings are not usually committed with large rifles.  Assassinations of abortion doctors are, and that guy's litany of likely crimes certainly wasn't the only one.  The Christian Army of God handbook used to suggest using hunting rifles to kill people, precisely because the law doesn't keep track of such guns, but that little snippet isn't on their website anymore.  And let's not forget The D.C. Sniper.

Those are all pretty isolated incidents yes, but I want to be thorough about this.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2010, 06:50:08 pm »

I'd like to point out that this is not true.  No, muggings are not usually committed with large rifles.  Assassinations of abortion doctors are, and that guy's litany of likely crimes certainly wasn't the only one.  The Christian Army of God handbook used to suggest using hunting rifles to kill people, precisely because the law doesn't keep track of such guns, but that little snippet isn't on their website anymore.  And let's not forget The D.C. Sniper.

Those are all pretty isolated incidents yes, but I want to be thorough about this.
Still... maybe %0.01 of gun crimes... unless you are like the page linked above that lists hunting rifles as part of the crime even if they are in another state or country at the time of crime...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26