Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where are you on the political compass? Economic belief is first, social belief second. Test is here: http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Left - Authoritarian
Left - Centre
Left - Libertarian
Centre - Authoritarian
Centre - Centre
Centre - Libertarian
Right - Authoritarian
Right - Centre
Right - Libertarian
Other
Don't care to do the test / View poll

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Where Are You On The Political Compass?  (Read 41179 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where Are You On The Political Compass?
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2010, 05:10:59 pm »

Even if there were, I'd quite possibly check into forming a private company (if it's not overly complicated to have a privately owned insurance company) just to fund my own insurance that I would pay into pretty much like I do now ... just to get around it.  And like I said, I'm sure others will too.  I also said that I was paying for his mistake of going to the emergency room.  Maybe you skimmed that...?

But then again, I'm one of those people he says don't exist.  If I can't afford that cancer treatment, I'll say my goodbyes.  I've lived well enough to enjoy it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2010, 05:27:00 pm »

Why now is it so important to mandate insurance or fine someone (we should call it a tax)? Well, all the younger people previous to us got to take advantage of their youth, now we don't.  I've already had to pay more because of being a single young male with car insurance.  I'd like to avoid paying health insurance, at least until I'm 30.  I figure if I die, I die.  If no one in my family wants to help me out with whatever brain transplant I need that's going to cost a million gajazillion, then it's time for me to go.  I'm going to have to go eventually, right?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2010, 05:31:43 pm »

If you want to die, I'm sure you'd be able to opt out of any state funded healthcate plan.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »

If I don't get insurance I will be fined.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2010, 06:01:49 pm »

And the real kicker: there is no penalty for not having insurance.  It's specifically written into the bill that there is no provision to enforce it, and can be none without another bill to amend it; precisely because of reservations like yours.  So there ya go.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2010, 06:02:05 pm »

Even if there were, I'd quite possibly check into forming a private company (if it's not overly complicated to have a privately owned insurance company) just to fund my own insurance that I would pay into pretty much like I do now ... just to get around it.  And like I said, I'm sure others will too.  I also said that I was paying for his mistake of going to the emergency room.  Maybe you skimmed that...?

But then again, I'm one of those people he says don't exist.  If I can't afford that cancer treatment, I'll say my goodbyes.  I've lived well enough to enjoy it.

That is an awesome idea.

All of us strapping young lads with good health and delusions of invulnerability need to from Bay12 Insurance.  It costs one dollar, and covers nothing, but it's insurance, and it means we don't have to pay a fine.
Shoes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2010, 06:02:23 pm »

You will be fined $0 by noone.  Ouch.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2010, 06:02:59 pm »

And the real kicker: there is no penalty for not having insurance.  It's specifically written into the bill that there is no provision to enforce it, and can be none without another bill to amend it; precisely because of reservations like yours.  So there ya go.

... Then does it actually do anything?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2010, 06:04:04 pm »

You will be fined $0 by noone.  Ouch.

Let's not get sarcastic now, this is a big deal.

If this bill doesn't actually enforce itself, what does it do?  Why did we have this huge war between Republicrats and Demoblicans for a bill that apparently doesn't do anything?

Is this what my government is spending its time on?
Shoes...

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2010, 06:07:36 pm »

If I'm not going to be fined anything, and it can't be enforced, how on earth is it a mandate, and why has every political analysis of this I've read not stated this?  Why are various states challenging the constitutional basis of an insurance mandate if it can't be enforced in any way?  If there's no way to fine someone, why bother challenging it?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2010, 06:11:54 pm »

If I'm not going to be fined anything, and it can't be enforced, how on earth is it a mandate, and why has every political analysis of this I've read not stated this?  Why are various states challenging the constitutional basis of an insurance mandate if it can't be enforced in any way?  If there's no way to fine someone, why bother challenging it?
Precedent.  If the States can assert control (which they should be doing anyway...) then the Fed doesn't have the ability to enforce future requirements on the citizens (which they shouldn't be doing anyway...)  That's my guess at least.

If this bill doesn't actually enforce itself, what does it do?  Why did we have this huge war between Republicrats and Demoblicans for a bill that apparently doesn't do anything?

Is this what my government is spending its time on?
Power grabbing.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:14:51 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2010, 06:17:11 pm »

Yes of course.  Governments are always after new meaningless nebulous power over every aspect of your life.  Trust no one, especially the law, especially when you need the government to do something for you.

There's two thing the bill does.  Most of the bill was concerned with new regulations on what insurance companies have to do.  Y'know, important shit like not kicking customers off the rolls as soon as they try to use the insurance they paid for, not shoveling money into hypochondriac tests that don't do anything, not making doctors only prescribe the medicines with highest profit margin, and actually paying the money they make on providing health care, to the tune of 85% of expenditures, as opposed to the 35ish% like they do now.  Along with setting up a public insurance pool that people without employer-provided insurance can buy into, which would actually be affordable, unlike the private insurance plans now that are usually more expensive than dieing.

As for the "mandate", basically the Democrats had to sell the thing, and the Republicans wouldn't take yes for an answer.  So they squared the circle by making the "mandate" unenforceable, and really really hope nobody notices that.  The Democrats so enough people buy into the system that it actually works; the Republicans so they can keep making political hay out of the idea by making people think they're under some new onerous law.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:54 pm »

Seriously, no offense meant to your word, but could you link me to some independent publication that confirms the fact it's not enforceable in any way?  Everything I have read or seen has said the opposite of this, including third party analysis.  I'll certainly be happy if I'm not fined, but I truly see no reason to add in a fine if you can't fine someone.  I just need to see some more evidence before I decide not to get health insurance and then suddenly see I'm fined $1000.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2010, 06:49:16 pm »

Certainly, it would only be profession of me to have a link ready.  I'll have to find the analysis again, but I swear it's actually in the bill.  I'd like to know what third-party analysis you've seen, for completeness.

Update: Okay, my original source is proving exceedingly difficult to find, but here's a good explanation from respected Washington Post reporter Ezra Kline.  To wit-

Most people will never notice the mandate, as they get insurance through their employer and that's good enough for the government. But of those who aren't exempt and aren't insured, the choice will be this: Purchase insurance or pay a small fine. In 2016, the first year the fine is fully in place, it will be $695 a year or 2.5 percent of income, whichever is higher. That makes the mandate progressive.

And what happens if you don't buy insurance and you don't pay the penalty? Well, not much. The law specifically says that no criminal action or liens can be imposed on people who don't pay the fine. If this actually leads to a world in which large numbers of people don't buy insurance and tell the IRS to stuff it, you could see that change. But for now, the penalties are low and the enforcement is non-existent.

I guess you can refuse to believe him if you want, but I or anyone can say the same about any source.  I'd wish he'd actually pointed to the paragraphs in the bill that say that, because I distinctly remember the text, but it's a big-ass bill.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:12:22 pm by Aqizzar »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2010, 07:50:53 pm »

Economic Left/Right: -3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.85
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26