Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact control!  (Read 2450 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact control!
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:01:04 am »

Alright..  Perhaps this is going to be one of those 'you -just- figured that out?' sort of statements, but I'm still happy to learn it..

Did you know you can control what materials dwarves use in their artifacts by forbidding the stuff, even while it's in the workshop?   I always knew that you could forbid certain things in stockpiles or whatever, and dwarves would not use those forbidden objects.  What I didn't know is that even after he's dragged it to his workshop, if you can catch it while he's still gathering other supplies and forbid it, he'll give up on it and find another.  No more copper rock-crystal and more copper embedded swords for me..

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact control!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:40:36 am »

Back in 40d, you could forbid the items while in the workshop and then unforbid them again in order to make a more exciting artifact.  I haven't tried it in 31 yet, because I'm producing way too much wealth anyway, so I don't know if it still works.

I tend not to do this anyway, unless I've already got the stuff forbidden (like gems).  Moods are supposed to be the innermost expression of a dwarf's dwarfiness, of their individuality, and so they should use what they want to use, I think.

And yeah, this is one of those "you JUST figured this out?" topics, but no worries; People don't talk about the old stuff much!
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:59:44 am »

For me, dorfs in mood should ignore any of these things. Ignore burrows, forbid designations, alerts etc. Not only this is fitting for whole "dwarf mood" concept, this will prevent all Planepacked-type bugs.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »

And yeah, this is one of those "you JUST figured this out?" topics, but no worries; People don't talk about the old stuff much!

Amazingly I didn't know about this one.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 01:28:03 pm »

For me, dorfs in mood should ignore any of these things. Ignore burrows, forbid designations, alerts etc. Not only this is fitting for whole "dwarf mood" concept, this will prevent all Planepacked-type bugs.
what is planepacked?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 01:29:25 pm »

what is planepacked?
Search it on the wiki. I cannot explain sufficiently.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 01:32:58 pm »

what is planepacked?
OH MY CAPITAL G IT'S EPIC  :o :o
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 01:54:53 pm »

I wasn't aware the words 'prevent'..... (making sure of a new sentence - in fact, here's another .) The word 'planepacked' could actually occupy the same sentence.  I'm pretty sure, based on the complex mathematics I performed after reading that sentence, the moment you typed that statement a star deep in space turned into a cat, and began devouring other stars. 

Today's new lesson, I guess.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 02:06:16 pm »

what is planepacked?
Yes, Planepacked is just plain packed.

*rimshot*

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 02:39:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure, based on the complex mathematics I performed after reading that sentence, the moment you typed that statement a star deep in space turned into a cat, and began devouring other stars. 

I may have to sig that.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 03:03:39 pm »

what is planepacked?

*rimshot*

Oh lord.

I'd sig that, but then I'd hate myself for subjecting the rest of the forum to that pun.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 03:18:54 pm »

I wasn't aware the words 'prevent'..... (making sure of a new sentence - in fact, here's another .) The word 'planepacked' could actually occupy the same sentence.  I'm pretty sure, based on the complex mathematics I performed after reading that sentence, the moment you typed that statement a star deep in space turned into a cat, and began devouring other stars.
I take offense to that... comment.  :P :P

Prevent Planepacked. Prevent Planepacked. Prevent Planepacked. Prevent Planepacked. Prevent Planepacked.

Any more questions?

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 03:29:19 pm »

And yeah, this is one of those "you JUST figured this out?" topics,
...You mean the D-B menu is the mass dump menu?

Being serious, I didn't know this either.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 04:07:41 pm »

what is planepacked?

*rimshot*

Oh lord.

I'd sig that, but then I'd hate myself for subjecting the rest of the forum to that pun.
I'm not the first to make that pun.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 05:06:47 pm »

You can also change the nature of what they make my savescumming the moment they claim the workshop, while the game is still paused. Doesn't always work though.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?