Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: These *clowns* are no *fun*. [Spoilers!]  (Read 3988 times)

Roderick Jaynes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
These *clowns* are no *fun*. [Spoilers!]
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:03:03 pm »

Having destroyed my FPS with a windmill farm, magma pump stack, and a few waves of immigrants, I decided to remedy my situation with another three letter acronym. But, upon opening *the carnival*, the *clowns* were nowhere to be seen. I checked the unit screen, and there they were -- turns out they'd been hanging around the other entrance. So I decide to give it a little time. And then a little more time. And then... breach the magma sea and start draining it into *the carnival* (that should wake them up). But... nothing. There's no obstructions between the *clowns* and my dorfs, as far as I can tell. What's going on?

(I realize I could probably dispense with the *double-talk* because I spoiler-tagged the thread, but it makes me feel like I'm the Orz, so I'd rather keep it up. And don't forget to *enjoy the sauce*.)

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: These *clowns* are no *fun*. [Spoilers!]
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 11:14:06 pm »

*Clowns* make me *frumple*. They invaded my *house* and killed all my *campers*.

No *clowns* is better.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:36:37 pm »

Someone noted once that by walling up Hell shortly after breaching it and then opening it back up, all the demons stopped trying to kill everything and just kind of meandered around. He sent his military in to kill them one by one. Though it doesn't seem like you did this, might be the same thing.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:57:59 pm »

good old pathing bug?
reload.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:45:58 am »

*Clowns* make me *frumple*. They invaded my *house* and killed all my *campers*.

No *clowns* is better.
Words cannot describe how awesome this post was. Oh. My. God. I nearly choked to death. Awesome. Awesome, awesome awesome awemedinade on a stick awesome.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 01:33:35 pm »

Nice SC2 refrence.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 01:58:34 pm »

Hell, it's about time.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 02:20:16 pm »

I just had an amazing experience.  Well, I think it's amazing.  I embarked onto a site with a relatively shallow set of levels, althought not by intent.  The lowest is -52.  I decided to build a spiral ramp down around the exact center of the site.  Without much hassle I breached the first set of soil caverns at level -16, the water caverns at level -21, and the second set of soils caverns at -32.  After setting up my farming and my well, and carrying out my first trade with the Mountainhome, I started down for the magma.  At level -44 I encountered a warm wall while digging, and noticed that -43 also had a few warm spots.  I went back up to the level above that one and expanded slightly (5x5) from the ramp.  Nothing.  I went back down a level, to -44, and started digging a couple of pilot 1-wide tunnels between the warm spots.  I figured I'd start to get an outline of the magma sea that way.  The first tunnelled tile gave me magma, adamantine, and the whole circus bit!   :o

It turns out that this site somehow has the magma seas falling over edges into the circus levels.  Magma-falls!   :o

I quickly cancelled the other exploratory tunnel and ordered a door fitted into the existing breach.  Then I ordered a two-layer deep wall built behind the door.  Meanwhile the clowns were swarming around the back, intact wall of the ramp shaft, looking for the way into the fortress.  Some, if not all, can fly, and if they'd had a more intelligent pathfinding they'd have had me.  They would have had to duck down and fly over some shallow magma and up into the seas area on the side of the ramp shaft where my tunnel had breached the wall.  They didn't seem to be able to do that, at least not in the time it took my Dwarves to seal the hole.

At this moment I have 74 clowns listed and I can't see how I will be able to access any of the magma safely.  The one positive is that the four "ordinary" magma creatures are deceased.   ::)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 02:34:25 pm »

This calls for carving fortifications into the funhouse after raising an army of crossbowdwarves.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 02:40:45 pm »

I thought crossbowdwarves were useless in this version?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 02:41:58 pm »

This calls for carving fortifications into the funhouse after raising an army of crossbowdwarves.

The copper bolt strikes the clown in the upper left ankle!  It is lodged firmly in the wound! x2000

No demons die.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 02:45:59 pm »

Which is why he said "an army" instead of "just one."
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 02:49:06 pm »

If you're worried about your bowmen being pathetic, modify bolts to deal damage differently, perhaps using axe/sword's slashing attack instead of a stabbing one, or the hammer's blunt attack. That should *partially* cure their uselessness.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 02:51:12 pm »

There are probably some <ohnoes> that can pass through fortifications.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 03:10:36 pm »

Which is why he said "an army" instead of "just one."

Up it to x20000, or multiply it by however many dwarves you think warrant "army of crossdwarves."

Maybe two clowns die.

In a year.

From bloodloss.

If the clowns happen to have blood/ichor.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.
Pages: [1] 2