Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New to DF  (Read 1417 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New to DF
« on: April 19, 2010, 06:46:26 pm »

Man, I LOVE this game!  I somehow stumbled across it while looking up tips for Majesty 2.  After figuring out the basics of DF with the help of Capnduck (THANK YOU!!!) I quit playing Majesty 2 and haven't looked back since.  The tales of (mis)adventure on these forums are nearly as fun as the game itself.  So far, my dwarves have had a rather tame existence compared to many of yours.  I've reached 120+ inhabitants without a single kobold or goblin in sight, knock on stone.  The most excitement I've had was a lion hunt.

I noticed 2 giant lions wandering far to the southwest and decided that my militia squad needed some field experience.  After having one of my guys suffocate in his sleep in the barracks, I figured I'd rather lose them in actual battle.  I ordered the attack and watched as one guy rushed far ahead of the rest.  He fought with one of the lions, drawing blood, then chased it south.  He began to fight a little, retreat, rush back, rinse, repeat.  He was all alone.  Time kept ticking and his 9 compatriots were nowhere to be seen.  Wtf?  Finally, he'd had enough of the solo battle and ran back north... only to see everyone else in the squad surrounding a dead lion.  "Oh hai guyz!"  Now with back-up, he charged back down south and quickly slew the other lion.  Meanwhile, I noticed a lone dwarf sitting by a pool nearby.  He was an earlier immigrant that I had never paid any attention to or even noticed outside of the fortress.  Apparently for several years he had fished for turtles at the pool all alone and was now surrounded by turtle shells.  When I ordered everyone to haul the stuff in, I had over 50 of the previously elusive items!

On a sidenote, I had a pesky mayor named Minkot who I ignored for the most part, despite his mandates banning random metals and gems.  After a while, I figured I should pay more attention to his demands and began to construct a truly lavish suite in the swanky part of residential district.  When I was done, I moved Minkot in, then checked his demands.  Everything was still RED.  What?!  He had engraved walls and floor, and great furniture.  And then I noticed his name.  It turns out that *right* before I moved him in, his fellow dwarves had voted in a new mayor!  Hah!  With great satisfaction, I moved Minkot out of the suite and put the new mayor, Urvad, in :).

[Apologies if this is in the wrong thread.  I searched for an intro thread, but nothing came up.]

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
Re: New to DF
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:36:51 pm »

Nope! This is the right thread. I'd like to be the first to welcome you to DF! May your dwarves be beardy and your cats sterile! :D
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:43:33 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:51:49 pm »

Howdy.

Must be fun, getting introduced right after a new release... at leas it (sounds like) managed to dodge the really fun melting-dwarf bugs.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

czolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:58:34 pm »

Welcome :)
Sic sum in ignis; sic sum quiritatio

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 08:31:43 pm »

I don't know what to say other than welcome.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »

We welcome you to the neighbor hood!
Tra la la la la!
la la la!
la la la!
Tra la la la la!
la la!

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 08:53:17 pm »

Welcome aboard

Have a fishy stick indeed
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:56:30 pm »

May your soldiers be fast and your elves slow.
I vote this be how we welcome everyone.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:17 pm »

Welcome.

Later when your dwarves after having socialized a bit in the Metting Halls will begin to have several losses and not enough food, you'll have a lot of fun with your first spiral tantrum.

So if you embarked in a land without any other civs around, at least your dwarves will become their worst enemies;)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:28:40 pm »

Welcome, may hell stay dormant for eternity.

After reading this, I realize how much my first time playing the new version stunk.
I dug a huge single tile staircase down next to the wagon and hit an underground cavern, the stairs turned into a geyser and drowned all the starting 7.

Sparrowhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 10:30:37 pm »

Welcome! Have you taken a look at the DF Wiki yet? Useful tool, if you ever get confused: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Enjoy the Fun!

tme321

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 11:40:54 pm »

May your dwarves be beardy and your cats sterile! :D

Get's my vote for welcoming newcomers.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 12:09:08 am »

Welcome to the world that is DF, may your sanity be lost as soon as possible.

Also, have you by chance played the original Majesty? I'm curious as to how different the original and the new one are.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 12:25:58 am »

Welcome to DF
The game where it is possible to kill mermaids for their oh so precious bones
Pages: [1] 2