Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More dwarves  (Read 1415 times)

Adzyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More dwarves
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:04:37 am »

I get the reference to Snow White when staring a new fort, (seven dwarves), but is there a way to add more? Like, ten, maybe?
Any help would be... helpful...
Thanks.    ;D

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:06:25 am »

I think dwarves should have a cost, like everything else in the embark. You could embark with less than seven or more.
The reference to Snow White would remain in the "Play Now!" setting.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:34 am »

NOT TESTED FOR NEW VERSION YET but,
add [PET] and a [PET_VALUE:#] to dwarfs and you can add some as pets and set thier jobs after you start.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:44:03 am »

As far as I know the code supports more dwarves. I remember there use to be a tool which let you change it (before you went to the embark screen).

Edit: This may have been in the old 2d version thinking about it.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

coco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:16:04 am »

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:22:37 pm »

In the previous version sometimes if you embarked and immediately abandoned the fortress, upon reclaiming it you could get more dwarves than the starting 7. Not sure if the reclaim code has been reworked significantly since then though, so it might need testing.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 06:31:12 pm »

In the previous version sometimes if you embarked and immediately abandoned the fortress, upon reclaiming it you could get more dwarves than the starting 7. Not sure if the reclaim code has been reworked significantly since then though, so it might need testing.

A reclaim only gives you 7 now.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 08:57:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure a reclaim still depends on the creatures living in your fort. But adding the pet tag and petvalue seems like a good (bad) idea.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 11:53:13 pm »

Slightly tested now: I had to give them common domestic too to get them to show up. They didn't pop up on the dwarves pane and when I embarked they are listed below the dogs as stray peasants (tame). I cannot access the job list on them and have the option to slaughter them but they did haul things for me.

Edit: Upon saving, editing out the tags in the raws, and loading they lost the stray condition and could have labors set. They still list as tame. No idea how necessary the raw edit is for this.

Edit: only need to remove the pet tag for labors. Kind of makes me wonder how I would have to alter mules to get them hauling stuff.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:45:32 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.