Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why didn't anyone tell me that Caves are Epic!!!  (Read 2897 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why didn't anyone tell me that Caves are Epic!!!
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:16:28 am »

Seriously...

I decided to take a new look at going into caverns, so I genned a world with a good amount of caves just to be safe, so anyway, I got it going and was slightly disappointed by the face that both Humans and Dwarves had No Trade listed in the Civ list, but Elves were there and Gobbos were at war with me...

So anyway loaded the map, loled at the fact there was TONs of Discarded Crafts about the place, thinking that this cave was a Kobold Cave, I open my Unit list, and low and behold there is a FUCKING DRAGON sitting around near the entrance. I am not constructing a cage and a mechensim to trap him, by attempting to build a Cagetrap at the cave entrance then luring it in. This is after the restart after not noticing how close he was to the cave entrance and me attempting to start lugging everything into the cave itself...

So lets see how this goes...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't anyone tell me that Caves are Epic!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:19:46 am »

Hate to say it, but it sounds like you got a special case.

That is, however, deeply, deeply awesome.

Upload a save?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 02:31:00 am »

In 40d you could find caves with residents, and they would also often have crafts scattered about.  Of course the caves were quite small then and the monsters were usually a pushover, so it's got better.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:45:47 am »

Some bloody Trogs were living a few floors down, and ran into my Cage trap, so my Woodcutter (Forbiddon myself to underground trees, so lack of work for him...) is now training with an axe to prep him to kill those trogs, might make a back door to the Cave entrance though...

When I crash and burn, which might be soon. I will upload save...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:52:09 am »

Hate to say it, but it sounds like you got a special case.

That is, however, deeply, deeply awesome.

Upload a save?

Actually, some of the first people to try to make it into the caverns via the surface caves in kobold camp for the new version ran into dragons living in the caves.

So it's not unheard of level of rarity.  Probably not too common either, though.  The crafts bit I hadn't heard of showing up in fortress mode, only adventurer mode with megabeasts that had survived for a long time in world gen and decided they liked shinies.  How carpetty was it?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:04:13 am »

Ah a nice little grouping of 47 Crafts sprayed all over the place. BUT I did notice that somewhere on the 28th floor down there is 8 LARGE GEMS sitting them in someone's treasure hold... Interesting...

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 03:48:52 am »

Some bloody Trogs were living a few floors down, and ran into my Cage trap, so my Woodcutter (Forbiddon myself to underground trees, so lack of work for him...) is now training with an axe to prep him to kill those trogs, might make a back door to the Cave entrance though...

How can a cave have a back door?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 03:49:49 am »

You need to think with portals.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:14:56 am »

I prefer to think with pickaxes. ;)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 04:19:44 am »

I prefer to think with pickaxes. ;)

I meant you build the door out of glass.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 05:06:39 am »

Once I let a world generate for thousands upon thousands of years, and when I embarked to a kobold cave, the ground had crafts covering every tile for a huge radius around the cave.  I can't imagine how many random crafts were there.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 05:07:35 am »

Welp.... Gonna put that on hold. Maybe Restart...

Pretty much spent the first year trying to capture the Dragon to only find out that Current Residents get TrapImmune for added difficulty...

Do people still want the Seed???

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 05:39:04 am »

Yes please!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 06:25:30 am »

Give to me! I want your seed!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 07:08:48 am »

I require the seed, location and your soul.
The first and second you can give me now, but we shall wait until you need me for the soul.
Pages: [1] 2