Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Rage Virus  (Read 1927 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Rage Virus
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:39:15 pm »

Hey; already posted this in suggestions, but it occurred to me that you fine people might be able to do it without help from Toady.

So, I ran into this really nifty trick in the Dwarf Mode forum, where someone got a poison blood effect that caused burst eyeballs- and due to the way blood spreads, he had to quarantine the fortress cause it was spreading too much.

I was wondering if there was a way to do something similiar, but have the effect be dwarves throwing tantrums or going berserk, plus maybe coughing up blood, hopefully creating the Rage virus from 28 Days Later.

As a reach goal... is it at all possible to make a syndrome that causes the effected creature's blood to become poisonous itself? So you'd have infected dwarves that weren't spreading long after you handled the disease, but if one of them got cut, it could start all over again? It would have to have only mild effects, or they'd just die, but...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Rage Virus
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:49:20 pm »

i think this was alredy tried i could be wrong but i beleve blood from coughing dosnt spread the syndrome  :(
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:50:31 pm »

i think this was alredy tried i could be wrong but i beleve blood from coughing dosnt spread the syndrome  :(

Well, the dwarf blood wouldn't be infected, would it? The spreading would just be the general smearing of any spills, unless the reach goal was implimented.

What about the first part? A violent-insanity inducing effect?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 03:59:10 pm »

i dont know mabe brain faliure would do that? or just kill them i havent seen any effects that cause insanity or rage just stumbling and knock out
1. Start DF
3. Pass Out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:02:00 pm »

Coughing and vomiting blood, no matter how severe, will only cause "spatters" of blood on the floor.  This is not enough to contaminate anything else.

If you use a bleeding symptom, then it's possible to create pools of blood, which will then get tracked onto any passersby.

However, this still doesn't change the main problem, which is the fact that ENTERS_BLOOD toxins don't change the afflicted creature's blood to carry the toxin independently.  Only the original source can spread the disease.

It is possible to make dwarves that have blood that is poisonous to dwarves.  What this does is it makes the dwarf wander around just fine and dandy, until he gets hurt by something and bleeds on himself.  Then he will start displaying symptoms.  If he bleeds on anyone else, they will also get infected.

If this happens to be a disease that causes bleeding, you'll end up with an utter mess after a while...

As for insanity, nope.  No personality or behavior altering symptoms are available.  We've got puking, blisters, swelling, pain, necrosis and a lot of other fun physical ailments...  But no dementia or other neurological goodies.

Also, this eye-popping thing sounds a bit...  Odd.  I can imagine massive bleeding, but unless there's something special hidden quirk to the swelling or bleeding symptom tags, then I can't imagine how it would be possible.  You wouldn't happen to have a link to that thread, would you?

Tark

• Bay Watcher
  • on what even did not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 04:04:06 pm »

I can't wait until Toady creates more syndromes/effects for use in diseases and stuff, and as far as I know I don't think you can make creatures that get infected with something, spread the infection. IE, A disease that causes affected creatures to release the disease itself.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 04:06:58 pm »

actualy i just had an idea if you cased the syndrome to have massive pain and blisters and bleeding the pain and blisters might cause enough bad thoughts to cause insanity while the bleeding (with your idea Kagus of toxic blood) would cause it to spread rapidly
1. Start DF
3. Pass Out.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 05:12:04 pm »

Coughing and vomiting blood, no matter how severe, will only cause "spatters" of blood on the floor.  This is not enough to contaminate anything else.

If you use a bleeding symptom, then it's possible to create pools of blood, which will then get tracked onto any passersby.

However, this still doesn't change the main problem, which is the fact that ENTERS_BLOOD toxins don't change the afflicted creature's blood to carry the toxin independently.  Only the original source can spread the disease.

It is possible to make dwarves that have blood that is poisonous to dwarves.  What this does is it makes the dwarf wander around just fine and dandy, until he gets hurt by something and bleeds on himself.  Then he will start displaying symptoms.  If he bleeds on anyone else, they will also get infected.

If this happens to be a disease that causes bleeding, you'll end up with an utter mess after a while...

As for insanity, nope.  No personality or behavior altering symptoms are available.  We've got puking, blisters, swelling, pain, necrosis and a lot of other fun physical ailments...  But no dementia or other neurological goodies.

Also, this eye-popping thing sounds a bit...  Odd.  I can imagine massive bleeding, but unless there's something special hidden quirk to the swelling or bleeding symptom tags, then I can't imagine how it would be possible.  You wouldn't happen to have a link to that thread, would you?

I believe he is referring to this thread.  http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=54659.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 05:28:09 pm »

Yeah, I happened upon that shortly after reading this thread.

I haven't been able to replicate the symptom, however.  I'm fairly certain that it was just a little "creative liberty" in saying that their eyes popped out, and that it was really just impaired function.  Not even insane severity values for swelling caused anything to pop out.

However, the extended swelling did result in pockets of necrosis, which is interesting.  I guess the lack of circulation caused cell death and eventual rotting in certain areas.  Very interesting indeed.

EDIT:  By the way, I don't think dwarves even get bad thoughts about being covered in blisters.  I guess that means blisters really don't do anything...

And in any case, exceptionally low moods are kinda difficult to get due to the ease of counteracting them with big dining rooms and decent booze/meals.  Even if you could push someone over the edge, you'd only get a 1/3 chance of getting someone to go berserk.  Otherwise, it's babbling or melancholy.

It'd still be fricken' awesome though.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 12:27:04 pm »

Doesn't seem like it would take that much work to add it in, either... I mean, we already have syndromes that cause status effects... how different is "Tantruming" from "Unconcious"?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 12:57:49 pm »

The effect which massively drops happiness over time should be possible for the Toady, but I doubt he will expand it, at least not untill all the huge amount of bugs is fixed.

P.S. Also damn you... I've read that thread and now instead of making a supper and taking shower I am back at my Wasteland modding... :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:04:46 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 01:02:12 pm »

The effect which massively drops happiness over time should be possible for the Toady, but I doubt he will expand it, at least not untill all the huge amount of bugs is fixed.

*Nods*
Well, here's hoping.
Now, time to go try to rally up some support on the suggestion forums...

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 07:26:10 pm »

I;m also trying to replicate this zombie-likesymptom :(

I've created my custom zombie creature who infects dwarves, but I need the dwart to eeither turn into another zombie when bitten, or to go beserk  :(

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 07:27:55 pm »

I;m also trying to replicate this zombie-likesymptom :(

I've created my custom zombie creature who infects dwarves, but I need the dwart to eeither turn into another zombie when bitten, or to go beserk  :(

I think we need to get Toady to add in new tags- I don't think it would be hard, from my guesses at how DF is programmed, but for some reason the proposal I put in suggestions isn't gaining support. *shrugs*

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:15 pm »

that's a shame.. It'd be nice to have really extensive symtoms.. such as what I want:  causes full body necrosis, use the need of organs other than brain (and eyes?), causes them to go beserk, and thier main weapon as a bite, AAAND that bite contains the virus!
would be lovely :D
Pages: [1] 2