Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rock Crystals?  (Read 1962 times)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rock Crystals?
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:33:33 pm »

I'm trying to make a large amount of crystal glass for various items in my fortress.  I can make crystal glass blocks directly, but I'd like to make pearlash and rock crystals, and use those to make crystal glass items like tubes for my screw pumps.  Unfortunately, although I can get raw rock crystals, they aren't showing up as usable for glass (my dwarf just cancels the reaction saying he needs raw glass making gems).

This is the reaction I'm using for my materials:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've tried several different things, including:

Anyone have any ideas?

Alternatively:  I think I have rock crystals which I bought from traders, and they don't seem to work either.  Is crystal glass bugged?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 04:59:32 pm by Ilmoran »

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Crystals?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:42:03 pm »

i think you need to make pearlash bars not blocks the reaction only uses bars
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 04:59:01 pm »

i think you need to make pearlash bars not blocks the reaction only uses bars

The pearlash isn't the problem.  I've watch him go grab pearlash and take it back to the kiln, and then he complains there's no rock crystals.  Although I did typo the pearlash there, I have pearlash that I made through normal methods.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 05:10:10 pm »

do you have sand too? i think you need sand and rock crystals
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:27:29 pm »

do you have sand too? i think you need sand and rock crystals

Never needed sand for crystal glass before, and yes, I have sand, in bags (bought it off the elves for cheap bags)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 05:32:54 pm »

Huh, nifty.  On the one hand, there's the possibility that you're creating an invalid item type that just happens to be made out of rock crystal, and on the other hand there's the chance that something is actually preventing rock crystals from being used.

Try using the "boulder" itemtype instead of "rough".  I doubt it will work, but it might be fun to see the result.

Also, get some more rock crystals from the traders.  If those aren't used, then we'll really be on to something.  There's also the chance that the reaction just isn't updating properly, but that's uncertain and a pain to test.  For the sake of convenience, we'll assume it's working fine...

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 05:49:41 pm »

Huh, nifty.  On the one hand, there's the possibility that you're creating an invalid item type that just happens to be made out of rock crystal, and on the other hand there's the chance that something is actually preventing rock crystals from being used.

Try using the "boulder" itemtype instead of "rough".  I doubt it will work, but it might be fun to see the result.

Also, get some more rock crystals from the traders.  If those aren't used, then we'll really be on to something.  There's also the chance that the reaction just isn't updating properly, but that's uncertain and a pain to test.  For the sake of convenience, we'll assume it's working fine...

Ahh, forgot boulder; I tried that originally, it makes "rock crystal" (not rough) except it looks like stone left behind from mining.  It also doesn't work.

I'm thinking about jacking up the occurance of rock crystal in the raws and genning a new world with readily minable rock crystal (I don't want to wait for the next traders to arrive, partly because I don't want to delay my construction that much).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 05:52:59 pm »

Even with high frequency, rock crystals have to compete with all the other stuff that wants to show up in those regions.

Just turn it into a layer, then embark on that area. 

Mind you, there may be something that's specifically weird with your current world.  Have you updated recently?  There's a small chance that a couple of the raw files decided to have an argument during a "dirty" update.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 07:12:26 pm »

Even with high frequency, rock crystals have to compete with all the other stuff that wants to show up in those regions.

Just turn it into a layer, then embark on that area. 

Mind you, there may be something that's specifically weird with your current world.  Have you updated recently?  There's a small chance that a couple of the raw files decided to have an argument during a "dirty" update.

Ok, I just made a vanilla world, except I changed rock crystals to occur as "cluster" in igneous_all, sedimentary, and metamorphic rock, and embarked, found some, brought my own pearlash and tried to make raw crystal glass.  No dice, looks like it's bugged.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 10:01:56 am »

[PRODUCT:100:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:CRYSTAL_ROCK]

Finis sanctificat media.

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 01:56:38 pm »

This is what I do:

What I'd really like to do is figure out how to include a bag of sand as input and have this make two rock crystals.

As for pearlash - I never do anythign major with glass without picking a biome that is tree heavy.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 02:04:26 pm »

[PRODUCT:100:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:CRYSTAL_ROCK]

This is what I do:

What I'd really like to do is figure out how to include a bag of sand as input and have this make two rock crystals.

As for pearlash - I never do anythign major with glass without picking a biome that is tree heavy.

Have you managed to make crystal glass though?  Like I said in the original post, I've already tried both of those (NONE and NO_SUBTYPE seem to be interchangable), but they aren't being recognized for crystal glass.  On the other hand, other gems made with either of those sets of tags (including rock crystals) are recognized by the gem cutter, and have the correct value.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 04:35:13 pm »

Only thing I can think of is to store the gems in a bin-less stockpile.

If thats not it then crystal glass making might just be bugged.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 04:54:13 pm »

Only thing I can think of is to store the gems in a bin-less stockpile.

If thats not it then crystal glass making might just be bugged.

None of it has been in bins.

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 05:22:00 pm »

Interesting.  I had not yet tried to make any crystal glass items in .31 yet.  I am being told the rough rock crystal I made from a lead bar aren't what is needed.  We'll need to test crystal glass making with rough rock crystal that is mined out to see if there is either something fundementally wrong with the reaction output or if making crystal glass is simply broken now.