Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #8: Feedback  (Read 55501 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #8: Feedback
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 03:47:32 am »

Really good job on this one. I enjoyed the talk about explosives.

For floating you could do it so that the object would float on top of the the last completely filled block of liquid so if

1 <--
   then the object would be in tile with 1 depth but if

4 <--
   then the object would be in tile with 4 depth
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 03:48:04 pm »

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Toady, Capntastic, Rainseeker, and Scamps for the latest DF talk.

It was both informative and interesting.  The work and love that gets put into these things really shows(in a good way!).

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 08:47:57 pm »

FOUNDATION!

Naw, that ain't it.

Huh. Well, wikipedia says that it is also known as a groundsill, depending on your country of origin, but if that's not it either than I'm stumped.

As regards the rest of the foundation discussion, the following link was fascinating and eventually lead me to an article about Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_%28engineering%29

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 11:58:15 pm »

Nope.

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 08:25:49 am »

If Toady doesn't get another bit by the end of next year, his age counter will rollover to zero!
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2010, 09:49:57 am »

thanks for answering my question on architecture. good to hear about dorfen psycology aswell. When is dorf fortress set historically? ( did i hear 14th century) i know its fantasy but i presume it still has some ties to the historical world interms of inspiration and realism. I always imagined df being set earlier around the 11th century.

If it was desired i could throw together some PDFs of source material with some ascii floor plans
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2010, 10:44:16 pm »

FOUNDATION!
Naw, that ain't it.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure foundation is make-up.
thanks for answering my question on architecture. good to hear about dorfen psycology aswell. When is dorf fortress set historically? ( did i hear 14th century) i know its fantasy but i presume it still has some ties to the historical world interms of inspiration and realism. I always imagined df being set earlier around the 11th century.

If it was desired i could throw together some PDFs of source material with some ascii floor plans
The 14th century thing is more like "no tech past this point". DF as a whole is not really anchored in any one time. Regardless, I reckon Toady is more interested in what floorplans make sense for a particular culture than what actually happened in a given time period.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 11:43:23 am »

In the past I have organized my Dwarves into clans founded by migrant and founder couples in the fortress.  When I had my population capped at 50 or less, this was feasible because I only ended up with a dozen or so clans.  With the population cap at 200 for testing 31.03, I have so far 45 married couples involving migrants and founders, and 20 migrant females as yet unmarried.  Assuming all of the remaining migrant females married, I would have 65 clans.  That seems an awful lot for one fortress and, as Tarn commented, an unwieldy number of unique groups to provide for.  I am actually ahead of myself in only mentioning the females.  Originally I gave equal weights to the males and females.  I had not yet resolved the issue of which clan took in the married descendants of the original couples.  However, Tarn's comment on religions solved my problem.

I started looking at the religions of the Dwarves in my fortress and discovered that the children of any marriage all follow the religion of their mother.  In the case of the one widower who arrived in my fortress with a child, the father and child had the same religion.  I could make the assumption that the child's mother also followed that religion, or that the father converted in order to properly raise their child after she died.  However, for the purposes of my fortress it is a moot point because that child is male.  If the father remarries, which is likely because he now has a lover, it won't matter that his son ends up in the wrong clan because the son will marry out anyway.

Once I resorted the families by religion, still leaving the married couples their family tag for census purposes, I had 10 groups.  10 clans seems much more sensible for one fortress.  Furthermore the question of where a pair of married descendants lives is solved.  They will move into the clan quarters of the mother.  The distribution is interesting and I look forward to seeing how it evolves over time.

Out of 64 adult female Dwarves (46 married, 2 widowed) the following religions are practiced in year 8 of the fortress.  There are a total of 44 female children that have not been counted in this list.

Lurit the Spines of Gilding, deity: wealth, mountains, earth, caverns = 20
Savot, deity: courage = 8
Urist Oversieged, deity: fortresses, war = 7
Igest the Fabulous Sweetnesses, deity: art, inspiration = 7
Zuden Searchedwards the Cover of Towers, deity: sacrifice = 6
Limul, deity: jewels = 5
Vir Rainstar, deity: the weather = 4
Esar Glidedgroves, deity: peace = 3
Idor, deity: chaos = 2
Zizcun the Tub of Breads, deity: silence, pregnancy, family, birth, children = 2
Orshar the Naughtiness of Tunnels, deity: the moon, misery = 0
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 12:38:46 pm »

Any transcript available yet?

:)

Also, do we have any datestamps for these talks?  When were each of them done?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:45:44 pm by Mason11987 »

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 02:23:53 pm »

Yeah, a transcript would be appreciated.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 05:25:06 pm »

I went to check if there was some software for this, and there isn't that I could find :P, damn!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:33:56 pm by Mason11987 »

mallocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2010, 05:36:18 pm »

I went to check if there was some software for this, and there isn't that I could find :P, damn!

Edit: no longer applicable

My transcript will be out Tuesday or Wednesday, just had a motherlode of work on, sorry guys.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:38:04 pm by mallocks »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2010, 07:25:31 pm »

Hooray transcript!

I've got too much (figurative) ADD to listen through the whole thing, I focus much better when I'm reading.

Xveers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2010, 08:18:44 pm »

Hussah for transcript!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2010, 02:53:07 pm »

Am I the only one who would like to hear the entirety of Toadys math ramble?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8